Hunter resentment... Why?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Oct 10, 2014.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why is there so much resentment / bitterness / backstabbing in deer hunting?

I don't get it. Of all of my local friends I only have one that is a true hunting buddy (outside of my brother who rarely hunts anymore).

My buddy Frank and I have been talking about it. I have friends ask me (and Frank) all the time about taking them hunting with me and often I do take them with me... but NEVER am I ever invited onto their lands to hunt with them. And I mean NEVER. Why? The thing is I would probably decline the invitation anyhow.

When I get a good buck many will stop over to check it out, but you can tell rarely none of them are actually happy for me like I would be for them if they were to get one. Why even stop by?

I do not brag, or boast... I do not talk down on them or their hunting tactics and I keep my opinions to my self unless they ask for an option or a spot to hunt at camp.

For example after we were talking about this the other night, my buddy Frank text some of our hunting buddies a pic of a nice buck telling them I shot it at his uncles (a place where a few of them hunt) on Tuesday night. Their reply's to him were "You need to keep him out of your uncles". Here we are on Friday and not one of them called or text me about it, for me to tell them Frank was busting their balls. They still have no idea I didn't shoot it.

I do not need a high five or pats on the back, that's not what I am getting at... I just want to know why people act like that during hunting season, but act totally different in the offseason.

Please explain.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's because many people are willing to go sit in the stand and kill a deer but they aren't willing to put the time and effort into managing their land, managing their deer, or scouting. They have no idea what deer are running around their property and they expect the same results as someone puts in all the time and effort. They probably haven't invited you out of fear that you know what you're doing and you'd end up harvesting something.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All types of people in this world. Some are selfish. I get excited seeing other people have success. I wouldn't let those types of people hunt the same ground if you have some control over it. Obviously your buddies uncle isn't one of those places.

People like to make dumb remarks at other people's success in many areas of life. Jealousy is part of it too.

4. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    many jealous hunters out there.. and the haters are going to hate! It is very upsetting and unnerving, but it is just the way it is.
    Someone recently posted an article on here about that.
    I, personally, am happy for everyone who connects on any legal deer.
    I shot my largest buck to date with the bow this year in CT, and I already hear comments, etc. about negative things...
    Noone can just acknowledge someones success and move on. Put the time in and hunt hard... then luck will play itself out.

5. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree with all of that.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hunters think the bucks belong to them. They probably wouldn't care if you came in and shot a doe, but a dead buck would start a fight.

7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jealousy and selfishness.

8. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe they're not actually your friends.

9. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a lot of "friends" that hunt.. I can count on one hand how many aren't "haters".

10. Illinoishunter102

Illinoishunter102 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen a fist fights over a dead buck...

Jealousy and selfishness is what ruins most hunters.

11. MTSCMike

MTSCMike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may want to adjust your perception of "friends" versus "acquaintances".

Real friends are your friend all year long. Real friends find joy in your accomplishments and celebrate with you. Real friends reciprocate when you do nice things for them and don't mind doing things for you even when they know you can't return the favor.

Those other people are just acquaintances. If they are petty and jealous then they aren't worth the time it takes to deal with them and they will never be a friend. You may still do things for these people just don't expect anything in return and don't invest more in them than you are willing to throw away.

Save the best things in life for your family and friends (the real ones). The others can have the left-overs.

12. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well said MTSCMike

13. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Because we make everything in life a competition. Look at a lot of people's obsession with sports. Many have turned this into just another competitive sport.

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I first started hunting, I killed a deer in like my 5th sit (shotgun), and I thought it was easy. Fast forward a year or 2 and I'm striking out while others are sticking nice does and an occasional buck, I was super jealous and acted like a jerk. Since I've become a more confident hunter, as well as a more accomplished one, I no longer feel the pressure to be successful, and I am happy for others who are successful. Now I just act like a different kinda jerk. :evilgrin:

15. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You need better friends. :)

It's George Bush's fault.

I am truly happy for you buckeye and I don't even know you. ;)

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Spear nailed it. I know guys who walk out to public land without even scouting and accuse others of cheating because they didn't get a deer.

17. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There jealous....come to think of it, you suck Scott.

J/K buddy, you can come hunt my land anytime. I would even give a place to stay and show you exactly where a dozen or more buck's are bedding.

18. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One word. Jealousy.

19. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jealousy. See it a lot actually. I have one friend who will lie about where he hunts, what he sees, etc til he kills a buck.

20. johnnygoodfellow

johnnygoodfellow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    All I care about is if the animal I take makes me happy. I was raised up a horn hunter and anything but a monster was a waste and my family will let you know about it. I remember being 13 and taking my first buck ever and being so excited to show everyone. All I got from a few family members was "what a.waste" "that little guy??" Took all the fun out of hunting for me. Granted he was small but i was proud and happy. Thats why i got into archery so i can hunt how i like and do what i like.
    None of my family bow hunts.