My firsthand ozonics experience- a bust - literally....what a shocker

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jackflap, Oct 1, 2014.

1. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe in any of the scent sprays of carbon clothing because I have experimented with them all and process proved their ineffectiveness. I didn't go in it with a bias, but let the results speak for themselves.

I decided to do the same with Ozonics. Hunting from a ground blind and had the Ozonics hung directly above and behind me and my wind channel as prescribed. Wind was from the south.

A doer traveling from east to west comes in about 60 yards north of me. Not on alert or nervous but as soon as as she hit my wind channel.....game over. 180 degree turn around and back where she came from.

Save your money....

2. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll buy it for $50, ha! That sucks, are you going to try it again? Maybe there was something else that spooked her?

3. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I played with one last year. From the few deer I saw cross my wind it worked as advertised. They never became alarmed and I never got busted.

I did not get to try it on a mature buck however, so I hold my final verdict until that happens and I see his reaction.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the bidding starts at $50? I'll give you $55 for it! Lol.

Not sure how one test shows conclusive evidence of ineffectiveness. There's 100 factors that could have spooked that ONE deer.

5. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im in for $65.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am a big believer in ozonics as a pretreatment, not going to bring one in a tree with me no need

7. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    $66 here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    There are false positives and false negatives. Had the deer gone by undetected it certainly wouldn't have validated its effectiveness as it could have been wind thermals, a young deer ,etc. etc. That is what I will call a false positive and why many people unduly give a product credit for scent control when reality was they were high enough in the tree to blow scent over the animal, etc.

But this was a false negative. Is it possible something else spooked her? Sure it is possible, and yes, scientifically you would need many more replications to prove/disprove.

But I need not have to prove it to anyone but myself and others can take my firsthand experience on one deer and do what they want with it. I had a good view of the deer prior to her hitting the wind channel and have hunted for many years and know their mannerisms to know I was scented.

I am 100% confident it did not work and I am 100% confident I had it set up properly. I don't need to lug it around another xx number of hunts to validate what I have already seen.

I will sell it for $200 if anyone is interested. half price....buy it and prove me wrong.

9. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yea heard many negative reviews on them. Sucks to spend that kind of money

10. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You send it to me plus $10 and il take it.

11. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    jackflap, thanks for confirming what I've believed all along! :tu:

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but the hunters on the TV said they work so good, they wouldn't go hunting without it;)

13. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If Only primos would make one..I'm sure it would be the greatest thing ever!

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am with Sota, I run ozone machine in truck and my one tote full of non-carbon stuff...but up a tree nope...I'll carry filming equipment before doing that.

15. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $400 for a gadget that could cause health problems, I don't understand why anyone would buy one.

16. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My buddy swears up and down that he was busted last weekend due to his Thermacell. I'm sure 99% of users would argue that it was probably something else the deer smelled.

Funny how the OP would so quickly discount what he considers a "false positive" yet he will stand by any "false negative" as long as it supports his belief.

False negative = first hand experience
    False postive = an anomoly

??????

17. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Great point on the False positive/negative thing! I think we make everything into what it is. How many times you hunt your best stand and wear a lucky sweater... then think WOW my lucky sweater always works! LOL!

18. jackflap

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think I paid 400 just to prove it wrong? Was I skeptic? Sure. But I would love for it to work so I gave it a try.

I had 3 different doe cross downwind of me Saturday and didn't get busted while using zero scent control regiment. Had I been using some, most would be quick to credit their regiment, whatever it may be.

The reality is that they were within 15 yards of me and I was high enough for my scent to blow over them. A little later, a doe crosses downwind at 35 yards or so and busts me instantly. But statitisticalky, I beat them 75% of the time doing nothing. Yet my experience tells me why as I just mentioned, not because of anything I did, other than get up high. Yet many novices would attribute it to their regiment.

I already said 1 encounter good or bad doesn't statistically prove/disprove anything. Could something else have spooked her? Sure. But what a coincidence that she was as calm as could be until the EXACT POINT where I knew my wind channel was crossing. She put her nose in the air and immediately did an 180 in a pretty good gait. Good enough for me, but hey go knock yourself out and do as you please.

Just passing on my limited but firsthand experience. Do what you want with it.

19. smackhonda

smackhonda Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you were in your ground blind, how do you know it wasnt the scent on the exterior of your ground blind that spooked it? Did yoiu descent the outside of your blind? Did you touch anything as you were setting up your ground blind? Just saying, the ozonics is only going to take care of the scent inside the blind, its not going to descent the whole hunting area, especially when its in a enclose blind.

20. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you run the ozone machine in the truck while you're in it?