Today's bows and there speeds!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Chago, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok today these bows are getting faster and faster. I currently shoot a 70lb bow with a IBO of 338. Now we have bows that are IBO in the 350s and 360s. So ultimately if I understand this right. My 70lb bow before with arrow set up was flinging about 92ftlbs of energy. Which is enough for anything in North America, including grizzlys. So with the new bows you get the exact same energy out of a 60lbs bow. Is this correct? Why bother shooting the heavier poundage then? Is it safe to assume 60lbs is more en enough for anything in North America in the 350 IBO bows?

2. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, a bow will be roughly 20 fps faster assume all factors stay the same but DW is increased 10 pounds. So if your bow IBOs at 330 then a 350 IBO bow will have roughly the same kinetic energy at 10 pounds less draw weight. These are all rough figures and will vary slightly from bow to bow but are generally close.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There were 350+ ibo speeds over 10 years ago but to your point, we don't need to shoot the poundage we once did but we still have to give up something to shoot those 350+ ibo bows. Shorter braces and harsher draw cycles. Most of us would have to decrease poundage to shoot the harsher draw cycle cams.

The nice thing about bows today is the moderate speed bows are much easier to shoot than their counterparts from years past. My bow ibo 330 and shoots like a dream. That didn't used to be true.

4. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My bow is 325 I think and I'm shooting at 59lbs now. I was at 70 and I realized I don't need to be that heavy. So a couple weeks ago I dropped my weight down to 59. Killed a deer last Sunday that ran just at 60 yards after I drilled it.

5. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hate the draw cycle on nearly all these new bows...big step backwards imo.

Alot of these new bows at 60lbs...draw harsher than most 70lbs bows did not long ago.

6. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can get your hands on one, try an Xpedition Xcentric....it will blow your mind! I'm thinking of selling my CS34 to get one.

7. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matthew shooter that's exactly what I'm ordering. I had the xring 7 from day one when they started. I'm looking to get the xcentric in a 60 or 65lb. 70lb with that speed is not necessary.

8. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This bow is called the obsession. Evolution. Its rated at 346 to 353 fps and draws like no other. Its a 60lbr maxed at 63 lbs. Holds on target like a dream[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't need it for this hunting season you should wait a couple months for the release of their new bow. I have heard from a very reliable source that its better than the Xcentric....if you could imagine that!

10. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, that's good stuff.

The last bow I shoot was the obsession. Good friend had one in his shop (out on oak meadow) and your right, it draws like no other.

I wouldn't take that bow if it was free.

11. ridgehunter70

ridgehunter70 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And thats youre opinion. And you know what they say about opinions;)

12. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Just didn't want anyone to be mislead with the "it draws like no other" statement. Fact is, it draws like a speed bow. So if your into the speed thing for some reason and don't mind a really harsh draw cycle, this might be the bow for you...it is really FAST.

13. gri22ly

Dislikes Received:
    Just didn't want anyone to be mislead with the "it draws like no other" statement. Fact is, it draws like a speed bow. So if your into the speed thing for some reason and don't mind a really harsh draw cycle, this might be the bow for you...it is really FAST.

14. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You guys need your man cards pulled. "Ewww, that bow has a harsh draw cycle". "It's too hard for me to pull". Geez Louise man, stop the whining and draw the bow already!
    Seriously though, there is no shame in shooting a 50lb bow if that feels better. As long as the arrow is not super light, 50 will kill deer just as dead. Or better yet do what I do, shoot 70lbs preseason to build strength, and then hunt with a 50 pounder. It feels so good to pull, even when you're cold and stiff.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    350-380 fps... I remember when folks were questioning whether we would ever be able to break 250. I still miss my Whitetail II.:sad:

16. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    A full throttle at 50 will be like a 330 at 70. And at full throttle at 50 would be a VERY manageable bow. Heck I shot it damn well at 65

17. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    When I shot the full throttle it stacked up to peak weight fast and stayed there, it also had no valley. but the draw cycle wasn't rough just stiff. Same with the dna, stiff but a VERY Smooth even draw.

18. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly. I regretted getting rid of my Sniper because of the super smoothness of it. I shot the Xpedition and was blown away by the ability to get that speed out of one of the smoothest draw cycles out there. Hard to believe the bow is this dead and quiet it ting 352 ibo.

19. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess that is why they make so many brands of bows because I think it is very smooth as well. I love the draw cycles, valley, and let off of the Obsessions and Xpeditions.

20. cdcj

cdcj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love the speed of my Xcentric. A lot of these bows allow you to shoot a pretty heavy arrow and shoot pretty flat out to 30 yards. Love that with a single pin. A lot of these bows are not only 100 fps faster than several years ago but also more quiet.