Bought a new CrossBow.. not sure I really like hunting with it.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Jason_wi, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Jason_wi

Jason_wi Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I decided this year I would purchase a new crossbow (Mission MBX 320)because Wisconsin made it legal to use them. What I have discovered the past 4 times I have been out hunting with it. It's a totally different experience then hunting with a compound bow. I find the crossbow much heavier and louder to use and not as rewarding either. I'm not in anyway saying that crossbows are bad or should not be used. I was just surprised that my experience would be so different switching to a crossbow. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm considering selling the crossbow and upgrading my compound. I have not shot anything yet with the crossbow maybe that would change my mind...

2. FearNot

FearNot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime in the woods is great. For some the crossbow is the only way they can spend their time in the woods.

It's okay that you tried it and still like using a bow.

I tore my rotator cuff a few ago and a crossbow is my only way to go this year. I love my Mathews but I can't even think of trying to pull it back.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am buying my first crossbow this year ...I will be hunting with both it and my compound...as well as shotgun, rifle and pistol...I just love deer hunting...the weapon is the least part of the excitement for me

4. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bought one for my dad this year. I sighted it in for him. I enjoyed shooting it. I could see taking it for a walk once in a while. It will be especially helpful when my son gets out there in a few years with a mentor tag.

5. hunterbikerman

hunterbikerman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year was my 1st season using a crossbow and I was surprised with the experience. It is heavier and more cumbersome when moving through brush. I also had 2 shot opportunities that I could not take shots due to the horizontal nature of the X-Bow. Both due to deer moving behind my stand instead of in front of. The tree was in the way of the bow limbs.

This year has been awesome so far. Got me a nice 8 pointer last Saturday evening at 15 yards on the ground.

6. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i owned one for a year and went back to my compound i felt like you just didnt feel the same but it was fun to shoot. It surely louder and heavy. I sold it and upgraded my compound. Its honestly what you enjoy to shoot, some people like bow hunting all year and some lay it up once rifle opens. Its a personal choice and as long as your in the woods it dont matter if you ask me.

7. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would try it out over time. I know many people still use both

8. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought one a few years back, mostly because I saw it and I can be rather impulsive. I thought I'd enjoy it but after two or three hunts I put it away and haven't touched it since. Like you the weight and awkwardness of it just turned me off.

9. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking at one, not only for me, but for my daughter,nephew, and a good friends son. All are new to hunting and I want them to have a good/positive experience.

10. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I'm not the first one to say, I love bowhunting and everything that goes a long with it. Any chance I get to take my bow and head to the woods I'm gone. I also love crossbows, I find them fun to shoot, I think they are awesome tools for kids, people new to hunting, the elderly/ disabled and anyone looking for something different.

11. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started hunting last year for the first time ever. I started out with the crossbow and love it. I have 2 in fact. I also hunt with a compound. Depends on where (and what) I'm hunting as to which bow I use. Yes, they are heavier and noisier, but I love it. I tagged out last year with my crossbow (2 bucks and 3 doe). 2 of my g'daughter's have gotten their first deer ever using one of the crossbows. It's like anything else.....wait for the clear, ethical shot. You don't always have a clear shot with the compound either. I have let several deer walk because I didn't have a clear shot with both the compound and crossbow.....and a rifle for that matter. Be patient and hunt on.