Sight pin floating

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hoytman62, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Hoytman62

Hoytman62 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like when I am aiming at the target, I have a hard time keeping my sight pin on the target (bulls eye). Seems like it floats all over and I can't keep it still. Any suggestions on the right way to aim and if you do have float when you aim? The right procedure?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the navy they suggested chewing tobacco. That was back in the day. It was supposed to calm the nerves. For someone not used to tobacco I would see that doing a lot of bad. Don't try the tobacco. But truthfully It can help. Practice is a much better approach. You will steady out hopefully.

3. Hoytman62

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!!

4. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a little more practice is needed, But You want the pin to float some in a controlled manner on the target but in a very small area where your trying to hit rather than try to put the pin on a spot and hold tight. Its more of aiming relaxed rather than being tense i guess is what im getting at.

5. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You will always have some float. Just don't take your eyes off the center of the target. Even after the shot. Squeeze the release slowly and trust the float. It will find it's mark. Try and not hold more than 5-7 seconds before you shoot. Hope it helps.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no way to keep your pins perfectly still, there will always be some floating. Keep your eye burning on the spot you want to hit and trust your float.

7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I was gonna say has been said, good luck and keep practicing.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are experiencing excessive float. That can be form related and/or draw length.

Check out some videos on YouTube by all Allistair Whittingham. The series is called performance archery. Check out the videos on posture, front end specifically. As well as the grip, this gets the alignment started.

Basically bone to bone alignment helps stabilize the bow. (As does a good stabilizer)

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a really good post by Rick james on a related subject.

I am copying and pasting this post to show how a pin should float. If your float is larger or dropping, it is probably a form/draw length issue.

"It really has more to do with your build geometry than height. If you really want to dial it in a good coach can help drastically. You can also get some guidance from people looking at pics on the internet but keep in mind 90% of the advice I see on form from the internet isn't accurate, you really need someone that knows what they are looking at to help online.

I'm 6' on the button and I shot a 29-29.5" draw for years. I shot fairly well with it but I worked with three separate professional archery coaches when I was shooting competitively, and all three of them wanted me between 30.25"-30.5" depending on the venue I was shooting.

When I got setup correctly and rebuilt my form around the longer DL so it became muscle memory my shooting really took off. I have an extraordinarily long wingspan for my height though (75.5") so that's not to say every 6' person should be at that draw length. I shoot indoor target venues better in the 30.5" range but for a 3D or hunting bow I vary between 30-30.25" usually.

If you are somewhat close in draw length, you will see smaller 1/4-1/2 inch changes affect your holding pattern. Longer tends to give you a big larger float pattern but it also tends to be more consistent. Shorter tends to be a really tight holding pattern but when you do toss one or execute a poor shot they tend to stray much further.

Look at the pics below, the left one represents longer DL and the right one represents shorter DL.

[​IMG][​IMG]

From my experience, a bit shorter (I'm talking 1/4-1/2") can be helpful in hunting or 3D situations where footing or angles may be less than perfect. It's a bit easier to stay strong in the form. With that said you will sacrifice some consistency by going short as you tend to rely on more muscle vs. a longer setup.

Hope this helps!"

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  10. dorobuta

dorobuta Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing I can add to what Tfox posted. Good post!

11. Hoytman62

Dislikes Received:
    tfox, thanks a lot!!