Ladder Stand for a big fella?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jbarnett, Sep 11, 2014.

1. jbarnett

jbarnett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for recommendations for a ladder stand for a big guy (285lb). I really don't want to use a 2 person stand, but I want to make sure the single can 1) hold my large rear, and 2) leave me enough room to sit comfortably without a bolt in my hip or some such. The weight limits all seem to be at 300lb, and I'm sure they error on the side of caution, so I'm not overly worried about that part, I just want to make sure I find one I can sit in all day without too much of a problem.

2. Panacea Nike

Panacea Nike Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Summit Classic 2 man ladder stand they sell at Academy Sports. This is a heavy-duty stand that will give you plenty of room and is priced well for what you get. They also sell this stand in a smaller size 1.5 man for about $150. The 1.5 stand is rated for 350lbs. These stands are heavy so you will probably need help standing them up.

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at the Big Game Stealth Deluxe. It has a wide and comfortable seat. 300lb limit.

4. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much every stand I've seen is rated for @ least 300 lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. jdhaines32

jdhaines32 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a big guy too. The ladder stand that I have a is a Sniper Intimidator. It has the larger platform and a wider seat but is still a single man. It might be closer to a mane and a half but I don't believe it is labeled that way.

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are a bigger fella, I wouldn't consider a single man ladder. My 2 man ladder stand is great for one man with plenty of room to maneuver around. I have had 2 men in it but you have to be really good friends.

7. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have used many big game stands and have always liked them for comfort and strength. I would suggest the big game stands and more recently I have been looking at the mellenium stands and they appear to be an excellent stand albeit a bit more expensive than some others.

8. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Field & Stream Outpost XL Ladder Treestand - ****'s Sporting Goods

I have a couple of these stands and they're great! They have them on sale at my local ****s for $159 right now. I'm a big guy (6'4" 350#) and they hold my fat rear just fine. I also have a couple of the 20 foot ladders from Big Game and they are sturdy but just a bit smaller to squeeze into. Remember, a treestand that is TMA certified at #300 must be able to hold a static load weight of #1000.

9. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased some ladder stands from The sportsman Guide and put them together and up in the trees today. 18ft jumbo this is a great one person stand solid and roomy. Only down side they are heavy. My other ladder stands are a tight fit.:woot: