And thats how my day went

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by .09 Outdooors, Sep 10, 2014.

1. .09 Outdooors

.09 Outdooors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    130 inch deer busted me at 35 yards...then I shoot a 160 inch deer, it falls down rolls around, gets up wobbley and staggers off, awesome right!!!! but then I check my arrow.....No blood anywhere, not more then a spec on the blade, no hair anywhere, no trail, and no deer after 3 hours of searching...anyone have a deer act like that after what I am assuming was a miss low?

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the best worst day ever, Must be something in the water as for the deers reaction to a miss, sounds like it was not a miss to me tho, I'd still be suspect and looking for more evidence or a deer. Best of luck

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why were you looking for the deer for three hours after seeing the arrow like that and knowing it wasn't a great hit?

4. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    It just makes no sense to me that it would react the way it did...and then not have but one needle tip size drop of blood on the broadhead....hell one of the blades didnt even open! I am really baffled and lost on what to do

5. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    Because I'm not a **** who leaves deer in the woods after a bad hit

6. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why didn't you give the deer overnight before you started looking?

I'm not trying to be condescending, but I'm not sure if you know that giving a poorly hit several hours to overnight is almost always the best option.

7. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any snapshot memory of where that arrow might have hit? You said low miss, but try to play it back in your mind to try to figure out exactly where that arrow went. You said it fell over and wobbled, that definitely means it was hit. Did you smell the arrow? I've seen deer stagger and wobble after a liver/gut shot.

OR, the other possibility is that you shot it high under the spine near the liver or guts. High entry and exit wounds dont allow the blood to pool and spill like you would normally expect on a mid to low level exit wound. I shot a buck last year at 14 yards quartering away. the arrow entered high, took out one lunch, clipped the other, and hit the far side shoulder, no exit hole. No blood for the first 40 yards until he started to breath and spit out his own lung blood, then I had a solid trail. That was a lung shot though. Sounds like you definitely didnt hit anything vascular. Get up early tomorrow morning and look for him in the daylight. I would be willing to bet that you probably bumped him while looking for him today. You'll find blood tomorrow in his bed(s)

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    no blood on arrow, wobbly and staggering...is it remotely possible you shot high and hit an antler?

9. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its quite ok and a very good idea to leave them for a few hours or even more on a bad hit. When in doubt, back out.

10. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you shot horns to me.. or hit a front leg.

How did the tip of the broad head look? bent or flattened?

11. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you might need to get back out there in good daylight and look some more. If the deer was hit and rolled around, he could have wipes some of the blood off the arrow. That could have also caused a blade to close again.

Look at the point of impact again. If theres no sign there, then slowly start a grid search in the direction you saw him run off. Pay close attention to areas near water and thick brush.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you hit his spine and shocked it pretty good. But, not likely a lethal hit. Just stunned the nervous system enough to make him drop and roll around a little. That is not terribly uncommon. Anyone that has been around hunting for enough years has heard or seen something similar.

13. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What everyone is leading to, get back out there and keep looking! Hope you find it, either walking around or laying there waiting for you.

14. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That happened once when I shot at a doe right under my stand and shot high, so the arrow went over the spine and thru the farside backstrap. That deer went down like a spine shot, rolled over and got up running. Never found her, but my buddy said he saw her walking across the road a few days later with the wound on her back.

16. .09 Outdooors

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't find any sign this morning...Searched all over the bean field and all over the dirt trail he crossed to go into the woods, found nothing...I think he'll be fine, I have a friend checking there this afternoon to see if he can find anything and to see if he sees and buzzards circling anywhere....Hopefully he survives and I get another crack at him