Would you hunt here or not??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tfarah22, Sep 4, 2014.

1. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my parents live inside the city limits, but their property borders a property owned by a LLC (found out the owner via GPS). The property my parents border is outside of the city limits and is probably 600acres is my best guess. When my parents bought the house 16 years ago I used to play out in the woods all of the time, and today it still sits there. According to oregon law if land is not marked, fenced, producing a crop, or in any way physically marked as private land you are allowed to hunt it. I have spent quite a lot of time in the woods and have yet to come across a fence of sign marking the land as private land.

Do you think that I should hunt the land?

2. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you know who owns it, why not try and get permission first?

3. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a hard time believing thats how the law reads.

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would ask permission, you don't want to be that guy.

5. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So the owners are a LLC that is based out of another state. Not local. I don't know who the owners are. Just that there is a group of them. I will try and post the law as it is written.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the law truly reads that way then.....but boy could I see that turning into a problem if not.

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In 1999, the Oregon legislature passed a new law setting the standards for closing private property[​IMG] to public access. If the requirements of the law, which sets forth the specifications for “No Trespassing” signs and other types of markers, are met, then the land is considered closed under Oregon law. Entry is then forbidden, with legal consequences attached for those who trespass on the closed land

Read more : Property Laws in Oregon for Posting No Trespassing Signs | eHow

9. tfarah22

tfarah22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here is what i found on hunting private land in Oregon :For the purpose of subsection (1) of this section, the boundaries of enclosed land may be indicated by wire, ditch, hedge, fence, water or by any visible or distinctive lines that indicate a separation from the surrounding or contiguous territory, and includes the established and posted boundaries of Indian reservations established by treaties of the United States and the various Indian tribes. [Amended by 1959 c.318 §1; 1971 c.580 §1; 1973 c.723 §83]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try to get permission you wouldn't want to get caught out here by DNR or something like that.

11. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone else said contact the LLC and ask permission first. As I can imagine you are not the only one thinking this way so you want to be prepared in the event you are approached by someone. Also you don't want to run the risk of loosing your hunting rights or a harvested animal due to a technicality.

12. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would hunt it.

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good grief no, I would stay my butt off it unless I had expressed and/or written permission to hunt it. Someone knows who to contact, for pete sake do your due diligence and make some effort to do it correctly. If a person doesn't know who owns it and it's not marked "public hunting area" then assume it's permission only, anything less is asking for trouble and probably deserves it.

14. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Just curious, did you read the laws posted above by the OP and Tony?

15. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kentucky law reads close to that. I am NOT in any way giving you legal advise since I don't know the laws of your state but being in law enforcement, I can tell you that if property in KY isn't posted, fenced or developed, I have no authority to charge with trespassing unless the land owner is present to personally tell the person that they don't want them there and even then, I would just let them go with a warning not to be back. If it were me, I would hunt it.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, common courtesy outweighs loophole law. Legally right and ethically right aren't necessarily the same thing.

17. dwmb25

dwmb25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe some of you are saying to hunt it. I don't care if you can not legally be charged how would you feel if it was your ground. You still know it is not your ground and should not be on it. Is your parents property line marked. If not how would you like me showing up and doing what I want on there property.

18. big_quillie

big_quillie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The area that I grew up and hunted in, was mostly reclaimed strip mines which is LLC property. People hunted on it every year, never knowing the owners. It happens all the time and if the people posting on here think that it doesn't, then they are badly out of touch with reality. At the end of the day, it will be his decision to hunt it or not If his state law allows him to do so. If he happens to speak with the owners and they tell him otherwise, then so be it. As long as he's not trashing up the land or doing damage then he isn't hurting anything.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Never suggested it doesn't happen every day. People do stupid stuff every day too...doesn't mean they should.

20. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    *their

If it was my ground I would mark it.

My parents live on a 1/4 acre in a subdivision. If they owned a significant amount of land and you could legally hunt it if it wasn't posted, go ahead.

The LLC could easily post it if they didn't want people hunting it. Most likely they do not care.

I would hunt it. You wouldn't. That's okay, as we're both acting within our legal rights.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014