Gloves: who wears them and who doesn't?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AshAid, Sep 4, 2014.

1. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watching a episode of BHOD Justin and Todd were talking at the end of the show about wearing gloves versus not wearing gloves.

I'm like Todd, come cold part of the season I always wear gloves into and exiting my stand, and while setting up, but once in the stand I have never been able to wear gloves, I keep my hands in my pouch or in my coat pockets at all times to keep them warm. I've tried over the years (not this past off season though) to practice wearing them while shooting but I guess for all the years not wearing them they (gloves) just don't feel right.

My question to the board is, what is the majority of the census on gloves... Do wear them or don't wear them while hunting.

<>< + ><>

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will this year because I'm hunting in November.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

3. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

<>< + ><>

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First thing I put on when I get out of the shower black latex gloves.

5. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For scent reasons I'm guessing?

<>< + ><>

6. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear them for warmth when it's cold, but also to compliment my concealment. i have thin pairs for early seasons and insulated pairs for winter. i can't tell that they affect my shooting, except i do have to adjust my wrist strap when wearing more layers. I mean, why go through all the trouble of being camoed out & then have blaringly white hands moving around while I am getting my bow, drawing, etc. Of course, I usually either cover or paint my face too though...

7. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They don't hamper my shooting but the release strap I've always done very tight as for no movement on its part (I put it on the 3rd hole) but during the times I've practiced I have to loosen it too the 4th (if thin gloves) and even the 5th hole for thicker gloves and the release just doesn't feel right, my opinion has always been if I mess up a shot let it be my fault... Pin to high to low etc... But don't let it be cause the release wasn't favorable lol... I know something in my head.

As to my white hands showing, unless Im drawing back with the deer looking straight at me (which is a no no IMHO anyway) my little hands shouldn't effect a deer spotting me 15 ft up in a tree, it never has before and I'm guessing it shouldn't in the future too

< + >

8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I always wear gloves while hunting, even early season. Early season I wear thin strech-fit camo gloves that are treated with permethrin, just like everything else I'm wearing at the time. I don't have to worry about ticks, chiggers or mosquitos and I don't have to carry a Thermacell.

I hate bulky gloves, so during the late season I wear mid-weight merino wool gloves and keep hand warmers in my pockets.

9. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No gloves for me except for walking in and getting situated in the tree. Once I'm settled in the gloves are off and in my hand-warmer pouch. I can't stand anything to be in between my fingers and my release.

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a VERY thin pair of gloves that I wear when it's cold. I will typically use a hand muff in addition to these when it's really cold.

I'm pretty sure I lost one of the pair I've been using for years now. I'll most likely pick up a pair of Under Armour liner type gloves before it gets cold for this year.

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Under Armour gloves or Mechanic camo gloves year round. Because they are awesome and help you kill deer. Plus they match my Mathews bow, Lonewolf stand, and help keep scent off my DLC Covert trail cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear them early, Mid, and Late season. I even bring a back up pair always. I bought a relative cheap pair of RedHead gear. they have the special tips so you can operate a touch screen device. I love them because they do not restrict anything. I have a little bit thicker for mid season. I have to protect my hand modeling career.

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

that's basically my preference as well

14. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I probably have 10 pairs of gloves in different levels of warmth and waterproofness. I wear them all the time going to and from and in stand. Adjust writs strap based on type of gloves. Always carry extra pair or 2 with me.

I love my glommits, they are the shizizle.

15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll admit that I love to text/check my fantasy sports while on stand to pass the time... It's hard to do while wearing a pair of gloves so I do not wear them more times than not.

16. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    me too lol....don't feel bad

17. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its like asking me if I play basketball in tall socks or short, I really don't care either way just as soon I'm playing.

Don't care at all about gloves or no gloves, just whatever feels right to me on that day. Do like the bow gloves that I can flip back and have my fingers free though - those are nice!

18. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wear the Under Armour liner gloves when it gets cold, and use the pouch when it gets really cold

19. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When hunting I usually have one glove on my left hand to hold the bow with, provided it isn't like 80 degrees out. Pretty much keep that routine all the way til winter. Once it gets colder I usually throw a hand warmer in my right coat pocket to keep my release hand comfortable.

20. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Some days i will and some days i won't. Just whatever I'm in the mood for i guess.