Where to spend the Money???

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bmegal, Aug 24, 2014.

1. bmegal

bmegal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been bow hunting for 15 years and I've killed plenty of does and bucks but I'm looking to take it to the next level. Whats the first place you would spend your money if you were in my situation?

1) Shooting a 14 year old PSE at about 275 fps
    2) Carbon express arrows with muzzy tips
    3) Wearing standard cotton camo clothing with rubber boots - Using standard scent killer
    4) I don't really use any mock scrapes and I just started planting small food plots

I would describe my set up as extremely basic. I'm comfortable shooting out to 25yds, if a 30yd perfect shot presented itself I would consider but I prefer not to push my luck and wound deer. I've been able to consistently kill 2.5 yr old bucks with this set up over the past 5 years plus a 4.5 yr old despite owning only 22 acres and having neighbors that shoot everything with more than 3 inches of horn.

Where would you upgrade first? Clothing? Bow? Deer attraction tactics? Am i missing something?

thanks!!!

Brady

2. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know but, I'd say your doing better than a lot of guys with newer gear and a whole lot more money spent.
    If your having fun and stocking a freezer id say job well done.

Warmer clothes is always a plus for me as I really hate the cold and it let's me stay out longer.

3. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your camo is keeping you out of site and scent controls is working too I'd go bow or attractant.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wherever you want and as much as you want to spend.
    FRom a necessity standpoint, if you're happy with your rig and you're killing deer then it's hard to justify a new bow and if you go wit ha new bow you'll probably want new arrows that match it if anything changes in DL and DW.

Personally I'd be getting afraid of a bow that old but older ones are used all the time if they are kept up and triple checked.

Outside of that, clothing is arbitrary, if it's working and all that.

As far as "taking it to the next level"....sounds like you started that process with a food plot/s already. Maybe add a mineral station and work on making what limited habitat you have work better for you. Cover, new trees for both hard and soft mast production...if you have neighbors like that then I'd make damn sure to have good screening along joining property lines and keep as much pressure off my property as possible so it's a close to a refuge as I could make it and still hunt it.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I personally have upgraded my clothing this year. It's not going to bring a huge buck in or eliminate all my scent- but it will keep me in the stand longer and allow me to stay still. That's one weakness I have had since starting to bow hunt.

I will also be walking in further so I have decided to not wear any cotton product. No more walking to my stand only to freeze an hour into my set due to sweat being held close to my feet or legs.

The biggest upgrade is to just chat with the neighbors. Let them know you're passing on younger deer and see how they react. The worst thing would be that they tell you to leave.

It really does seem you have everything else figured out. I'd tell you to only hunt your property when the wind is perfect but I realize that's easier said than done, especially if you love hunting. Could always expand to public land, which will allow you to hunt more and possible see older bucks as long as you scout your butt off and find those spots.

6. bmegal

bmegal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the input.

Mineral stations are out of the picture as I'm in central Wisconsin and it's banned.

My neighbors know I pass up younger deer and some are thinking have noticed the results from my perspective and are always talking about you doing but when it comes to hitting the woods, evidently they change their mind.

I have been busted in the past but lets face we all do. Comfort is key as well, I hate being cold and I often layer up with 4 to 5 layers during the rut. I guess I'm leaning towards some type of scent elimination suit at the moment but I'm hesitant to drop $400. I guess I will just continue to research.

I do have access to a couple of small parcels of land near my land that others let me hunt on, but nothing bigger than 10 acres. This allows me to not over hunt my property.

thanks!

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If your equipment all works for you the next level to me would be videoing the hunt. That adds a whole new level to the game. It can be challenging, addictive and frustrating all at the same time.

8. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are already doing great with the equipment you have. Spend the money on whatever gear makes you happy because your current gear already gets the job done.

9. Turkeysniper511

Turkeysniper511 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Id say go shoot some bows man! And if you think yours is fine after shooting newer bows then you know bows not your problem.
    Arrows and bheads are fine as long as there not worn down and carbon arrows and sharp bheads. Any camos good camo so shouldn't have to worry about that. If you have problem with being warm id suggest bibs. You can use them early season and winter you'll be able to put alot of layers under them. Then seems like your having pretty good luck without food plots to go out of the way to plant them, just put some corn out or little stuff like that. Just my opinion though people may disagree lol.

10. DCooke

DCooke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    spending $ won't bring in any more deer or bring them any closer as far as i can tell. if you're determined to freshen up your gear, which a lot of people do just to do (me included) i'd look for a new bow from what you suggested. that's what i did. trail cameras could be money well spent if you're not set in that area too.

11. HuntFishSailRepeat

HuntFishSailRepeat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well first things first, like the others above me have said if it works then no sense in changing it right now. But since you've got the itch here's some suggestions.

- Are you using only climbing stands? They may be awesome for on the spot mobility but you can get into way better cover with hangers in my opinion. If so then think about getting some hangers and setting up new positions so you can easily choose your stand based on the the wind. If you already use hangers, could you use a few more to better position yourself in case of a wind change?

- Sent blocking clothes are awesome, but they don't have to be expensive. There's decent tops and bottoms out there for $100 each or cheaper floating around, but keep in mind that's without much insulation so you're limited to early season only unless you get them big enough to add layers later.

- Bows: If you don't want to drop a huge chunk of change on a new bow try to find a shop that sells used ones. Last time I went I saw tons of used Matthews/etc. bows that are only a few years old for less than $500.

- Scrapes: I haven't tried these before but I'll be dammed if I don't hunt the rut without attempting to build mock scrapes/spray over old ones. There's a really good article by Shed on here titled "My thoughts and experiences with Mock Scrapes", it's sticked at the top of the forum.

- Equipment: Do you have a rangefinder? If not then there's your next purchase. How about some new boots? A new 3D shooting target with a few replacement parts?

The list can go on and on, but it's up to you to figure out what you require. Have fun and happy hunting!

12. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your not cold or getting wet i wouldn't change the clothes, If you really dont care to change bows and it works for you I would stick with the ole pse. As for deer attractants i'd say the work maybe 2-5% of the time and hurt someone way more than it helps especially if used at the wrong time, I have had more luck urinating in scrapes myself than using deer pee. But like a few others said a few trail cameras or range finder might make you more effective of a hunter. The range finder might even be able to make it able for you to extend your effective killing range to 35 to 40.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  13. Jake C.

Jake C. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go with a bow everything else is working for you so why change it.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^
    that.
    You could spend $10,000.00 in new clothes, stands, and food plots; but if your bow wears out at the moment of truth not only will your hunt be ruined but you could get seriously hurt.

I'm not a guy who thinks you need to be buying a new bow every other season, but 14 years is really pushing your luck. That's a nice run. Hang her on the wall and go buy a new bow. Just do it quick; season starts in a month or so... :)