Crossbow backstop

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by raptorfx, Aug 18, 2014.

1. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    getting ready to build a crossbow backstop ..need to build a good one because I don't have much of a yard to shoot in and I have neighbors all over and cattle...god forbid if my bolt goes all screwy and hits a cow oR heaven forbid a house or vehicle...was thinking of sinking 2 4x4"s in the ground and putting up a 5/8 piece of plywood on the posts..but im having trouble figuring out something to line the plywood with...I have 50.00 to use on the backstop.....ANY IDEAS..PLEASE HELP.....I don't think its wise to just use plywood by itself as im sure a bolt from a 150 lb crossbow would blow right through it

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  2. Bobcat031

Bobcat031 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just bought a crossbow target. And have some old conveyor belting hanging behind it . I wouldn't use plywood. It would ruin your bolts. Better use cardboard boxes with newspaper stacked in. Once you have it sighted in you should be go....just start at 10yds wih your first shot to be sure your on the target.. Good luck

3. raptorfx

raptorfx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thank you bobcat

4. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For bow, I use 4x4 sheets of foam insulation behind my black hole target sitting on an old crappy lawn chair. Occassional errant arrow goes through halfway at most and I'm shooting 70 pounds using 100g muzzys. You might want to go 6 layers or more for your crossbow. Maybe that's overkill, but a thought. Got my insulation sheets for free in 4x8 form and just cut them in half.