I'm not left with much of a choice at this point!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by biscuit, Aug 18, 2014.

1. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    PICT0001.jpg

So I've asked, and called the local farmers about packs of dogs running around my food plots out on my farm. I had some pics of deer dogs last year as well. I went and talked to the club and they fixed the problem never saw them again. But these three loose pit bulls are really starting to get my attention. I tried to approach one to get a number off the collar but I was met with a pretty nasty attitude. Now they are making their way down to the barn around the chickens, so...

I can't have these dogs running around my woods with my young children playing outside in the woods.

2. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    One solution if your kids or young children are in danger and the club wouldn't fix the mess, put them down, if they didn't fix it I would be more than glad to put down some dogs that are a danger to my kids/young children. Warn them one more time than take matters in your own hands

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dog killing threads always go well here..........

they are pit bulls though, don't they keep kids safe?

4. rsmith

rsmith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am not saying that that is a first option at all, all I'm saying is that if a couple of lose animals be it a dog or cat or coons were dangerous around little kids by my house, it would get put down.

5. Yancey

Yancey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could trap them if you don't want to go the other route. Then take them either to the owner(if tagged) or to the nearest shelter. But either way aggressive animals around kids arn't good

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Call the local authority who deals with stray dogs.

7. Nissen121523

Nissen121523 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a neighbors dog follow me out to my deer stand and bark for an hour and a half on my food plot and happened 3 mornings in a row. You better believe i was going to shoot that dog if i had the opportunity. I was LIVID, as i drove 5 hours to the cabin to hunt, not have my hunting ruined by some neighbor who thinks its OK to let their dog roam whereever the hell they please.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People are more fanatical about dogs being hurt than they are humans. We all know what a lot of people (me included) would do, but in this case, call the Sheriff and see what options you have.

9. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill it....why dance around it??? Its your property and the safety of your family is paramount. If you were met with a nasty attitude...what if the dogs were closerto the house upon exit than you (or God forbid your wife and/or kids) had originally thought. I have dealt witht the same thing bro...it sucks but the owners had options....they took yours away.... and i wouldnt wait on the authorities...MY OPINION!!!!!!!

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This^^ never take it into your own hands unless you have to. Taking the dog's life that is merely doing as it is allowed is never the choice that ends well. Call and try again, warn you will be contacting authorities and eradicating them humanely but eradicating them!

11. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd just "deal" with it myself as well. The last time I had this exact problem it ended up costing me a $300 vet bill and me solving the problem anyway.
    Local law enforcement...Haha..

12. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My two neighbors are detectives with the sheriffs dept. We have been close family friends for over 13 years. They brought out animal control. Animal control said he has been trying to get his hands on the three pit bulls for over a year now after they attacked and killed a dog over two miles away. They simply said that the dogs have already been deemed a danger, and to not allow the children to play outside anymore until they get them. PERFECT! thats exactly what I wanted to hear. Sheriffs office made it clear that I reserve the right to destroy dangerous animals on my property.

I've had a large cage out for a week now that I use to trap all the cats we have on our property, but those dogs just won't have it. I've got pics of them just kind of smelling around the cage and urinating on it, that's about it.

Talk about frustrating.

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I was told. I absolutely will not shoot a dog unless I absolutely have to. What ended up happening to me was I let them go (3 pitbulls) and one morning in the yard I heard a dog fight north of the house and one of my dogs came running to me as if to say "HELP". I locked her up and grabbed my 30.30 and ran down to find the three dogs surrounding my rottweiler and they already had him chewed up pretty good. I picked the largest one and dropped him and my dog came out to me with the other male on the chase and I busted him. The ***** ran off and I never saw her again.

I expect a local meth house had them running loose. No one ever came around looking either. Dangerous SOB's and bad situation. I had ran them off twice and tried to get any contact info besides asking around who they belonged to and no one would claim them, called the local sheriffs office and they poo poo'ed it and told me on my property to deal with it.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If given the clearance good...if not gain it....otherwise it can be way more of a headache to deal with if you "take it into your hands".

15. Q-harley

Q-harley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe you are even posting this. My troubles would be over and no one the wiser. Q

16. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dayum Brent. I would have handled it the same.

17. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. My dog survived okay but he was never the same after that and passed away at he age of 8 a couple years later. I had a few running around here last fall and winter, had them on camera several times. A couple of them were big huskies. I let them walk also and some time back my labs took off and one never came back. I know as well as anything that those huskies probably killed her. It sucks to have to kill a dog but it sucks worse to have someone get mauled or have a good pet get hurt or killed while still at home and on your property. At this point I don't have much remorse or feeling for any owner that lets their dogs run loose all over the country side. You really can't afford to just let it go like I did because it'll literally bite you in the ***.

18. Ram170

Ram170 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot shovel and shut up Nuff said!

19. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boom and done. I don't give nuisance dogs a second chance to hurt my pets or run wild were I hunt.

20. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if Terry Drury will see this, lol