No threads on Ferguson, Missouri?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by dmen, Aug 16, 2014.

1. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is the biggest story in the land and no one has brought it up. Let's here some thoughts. Personally, I think we need to hear more information before I can make an informed decision on the shooting. But I believe the media is responsible for the rioting and looting. They have been throwing gas on the fire and getting the protesters all fired up. Then you throw in the antoginizing race baiter Al sharpton and everything will spin out of control. The kid was obviously a thug, after seeing the video of the strong armed robbery, but that does not mean he deserves to be shot if that is what happened.

2. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He didn't get shot because he stole those cigars. We don't know for sure why he got shot at this point. Brown's buddy has one story. And I'm sure that no one in the community who saw the incident will contradict him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he were lying. On the other hand, the cop also would, let's face it, have reason to lie. But he would also know that forensic evidence could disprove what he said.

Even if it turns out the cop did nothing wrong, it will just be an excuse for more rioting.

Here's a link showing these local "champions of justice" breaking into the store from which Brown ripped off the cigars.

Ferguson shooting: Police, protesters clash after disclosures | Fox News

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that we don't need in this country right now is more race baiting. The media always has a field day with stuff like this when any minority is involved and it feeds the beast which sells more newspapers and increases ratings on TV. We should let the investigation run its course and determine the facts (which, surprise surprise, most generally do not match the normally sensationalistic initial reports) before burning anyone at the stake. Once the facts and evidence are known then the proper course of action can be taken.

4. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its just an excuse to be a criminal.....(that wont be popular)

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to form an opinion on something without all the facts

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might not be popular, but it's correct.
    Protesting and marching I totally understand and support.
    It is your right after all. Personally I don't think there are near enough facts to draw a conclusion one way or another.
    But when you start looting and burning stores that have nothing to do with it, well then your just an opportunistic thug.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Protests are one thing, riots and looting are an indication of the true problem

8. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just hope if the cop is innocent that he is not "sacrificed" to appease the rioters.

9. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    I assure you...there is no subtle or peaceful end to this. If he is innocent and adjudicated as such...there will be exponential looting and rioting. If he is guilty and is not tried as a capitol offense....there will be exponential looting and rioting. This is a lose/lose no matter which way you slice it. Regardless of the facts at this point.

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
    -Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), 34th U.S. President

10. biscuit

biscuit Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bowhunt and live is spot on. It boils down to college freshman economics. It's called tragedy of the commons.

The tragedy of the commons is an economics theory by Garrett Hardin, according to which individuals, acting independently and rationally according to each one's self-interest, behave contrary to the whole group's long-term best interests by depleting some common resource. The concept is often cited in connection with sustainable development, meshing economic growth and environmental protection, as well as in the debate over global warming. "Commons" can include the atmosphere, oceans, rivers, fish stocks, national parks, the office refrigerator, and any other shared resource. The tragedy of the commons has particular relevance in analyzing behavior in the fields of economics, evolutionary psychology, anthropology, game theory, politics, taxation, and sociology. Some also see the "tragedy" as an example of emergent behavior, the outcome of individual interactions in a complex system.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like how they did the Travon Martin trick were the media put up a picture of the guy when he was like 12 and not the 290lb 6'4" neighborhood thug that just strong arm robbed some Little old man's convenient store.

What a joke.

I'm sure many citizens of the community will not be missing this kid

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ill reserve most of my judgement untill all the facts are revealed. That being said it looks like the guy tried to take the officers gun. If that is the case every darn politician, activist, and idiot that looted and destroyed property should apologize and the criminals arrested.

13. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    They said the kid and his buddy's were actually stopped because they were blocking traffic because they felt like walking down the middle of the road. So strong arm robs a store then walks down the middle of the road making everyone driving move out of his way. Cop stops him and he goes for the cops gun.

Yeah, it would be great to get all the facts but so far it sounds like this 18yr old was trouble.

Whatever we're paying these cops to deal with these delinquents it's not enough.

14. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's about 30 minutes from me.....I'm sick of hearing about it going on every single night. Pretty crazy time over there right now.

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why are some media calling Michael Brown a kid? He was 18. If he did go for that cop's gun then he got what was coming to him. Good riddance.

16. Stickit05

Stickit05 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got family that lives around there and they say it's crazy...kinda scared to leave the house it sounds like.

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The mother seems so responsible and put together, it makes you wonder how her child would find trouble.

18. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The first week I was on solo duty by myself a crazy unarmed man lunged for my gun and tried to disarm me. For whatever reason my reflexes worked well that day and I sidestepped him and pinned him against a car before handcuffing him. If I hadnt been able to do that and he would have gone for my gun again it would have been a different outcome.

19. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    Wow:-(. Thanks for your service. That's messed up.

They've now got a phone video of the guy laying in blood while the cops tape the area off and get an ambulance in or something. No sheet over him or anything not sure why. Crowd was given plenty of time to get really amp'd up.

20. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

Dislikes Received:
    We always talk about facts....facts as a way to justify a situation. I am just curious in this case to what end??? Lets say for example the cop had a bad shoot.....does that justify looting and rioting??? If the facts in this case reveal that the cop was culpable of wrong doing then justice should be quick....but if we pull back the curtain, Ferguson was just waiting for an incident like this so they can do what they are doing...not to imply they were literally "waiting"...but there was a ring leader or two that given the opportunity, capability, and motive to turn that town upside down, took it. Heres some facts

That man is dead----fact
    The police officer shot him---fact
    The town of Ferguson , Missouri is in chaos---fact
    People die at the hands of police everyday all over the world---fact
    sometimes it is a "bad shoot"---fact
    That cop was a 6 year veteran of the force, those guys are not in the habit of shooting compliant and respectful people--that may have some flavor added but pretty close to a fact
    Those are about all the facts I need to say that this societal issue, at this point, is void of justice. The only thing that will appease these people is fatigue. They will loot and riot until theyve looted and rioted themselves to sleep. They have already judged and sentenced the cop. And luckily for him ignorance prevailed.