Pitbulls

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Aug 1, 2014.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pitbulls. We hear about the maulings and them attacking other dogs far more than any breed. Based on my reserch they lead the United States in bites and actually are part of 1/3 of all dog bites.

Is it a bad breed or is it bad owners?
    Is it media sensationalizing it that they report pitbull attacks and not other breeds?
    Do you support breed specific bans in communities?
    Would you consider owning a pitbull dog?
    Do you think the breed should be eliminated?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG] pf

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Any dog (breed) can be bad. In most cases it's the owners fault. They should not be eliminated or banned.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have seen far more mean breeds of dogs than pitbulls. Pits are the go to dog though for the tough guys that want mean dogs so in turn they have gotten all the bad PR. I had a Pit for years. He was an absolutely amazing dog. I think in general they have recieved an unfair label.

Now those lil ankle bitin dogs on the other hand.......

4. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No dog breed should be eliminated but there should be more strict rules on who can by a dog.

Media will love anything that can get a % of the U.S. population in a uproar.

I believe laws in certain cities to control dog breeds should happen. Being from Detroit area, I have seen many dogs roaming the streets when i visit downtown.

I have a friend who is a part time Nurse and a Full time dog rescuer and the dogs I see her bring through deserve second chances. She got a 100% brindle pit puppy the other day I would love to adopt if I had the space and time.

5. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had 4 pitbulls growing up. Thats all we owned. Now as an adult with my own children, guess what I own. A pitbull. There is no better dog, they are loyal and extremely loving. My current dog is of colby blood, ADBA Purple Ribbon. She is my childrens best friend, and they are hers as well

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are a very misunderstood dog. They are just raised wrong and get a bad rap. They are really sweet dogs when they are raised right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think people are not being realistic when they fail to accept that pit bulls were bred for a specific purpose, that is, to attack aggressively. That's not to say that all pit bulls are death waiting to happen. But when you hear about a dog attack, you just know in the back of your mind that the dog is not going to be a Lab. That is in spite of the fact that Labs are, by far the most popular breed.

And it's not because the owners have trained the dog to attack. The owners tend to be shocked when the dog does attack. "He's always been gentle and playful" they'll say. In the last attack I read about, Grandma's pit bull attacked and killed her grandchild right in Grandma's house. Now why does Grandma have a pit bull? Protection maybe? I wouldn't doubt that in Grandma's mind was a picture of her pit bull playing happily with her grandchild, but viciously defending her against intruders. That's naive. You can't have it both ways, at least not safely.

And those comments about "ankle-biters" aren't really appropriate. How many children have been killed by Pomeranians?

My husband has suggested a possible solution in that the owners of dogs be held to strict liability. In that concept, you don't have to prove negligence. The owner would be held personally responsible for whatever his dog did. If the dog kills someone, the owner could be charge with manslaughter.

For myself, my children are not going to be in any home or yard where there is a pit bull.

8. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This x 1000.

9. CILhunter

CILhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure they are very nice dogs WHEN RAISED RIGHT. However, many (by no means "all") owners do not raise them right. When a pit goes bad, it can go REALLY bad.

My daughter was at a friend's house a few months ago, and all of a sudden cops and fire/ambulance come racing down the street and stop at a house 3 doors down on the other side of the street. Turns out two little girls who lived there were playing (wrestling) on the floor. One of the two pit bulls which lived in the house, and had been around these girls for their entire lives, for some reason attacked them and killed the 5-year old girl.

About 5 years ago the mother of a friend lost her arm below the elbow after being bitten by a pit bull she had owned for 10 years. No warning, just latched on to her arm and basically "ringed" her arm down to the bones between the wrist and elbow.

About 18 years ago, before I had kids, I was walking with my wife and saw a pit bull kill a cat in our neighborhood. No warning, just saw the cat walking down the street and suddenly the pit bull was on it like a torpedo. Cat was dead before anyone could react. After that time we never walked without pepper spray and a quality knife (no concealed carry allowed at that time).

I hear all the stories about how they are so sweet and would never hurt a fly. I've also seen what can happen when one is not wired right. Problem is you can't tell the one from the other, and to me, the risk is too great. Maybe the fault does lie with the owners who don't train them correctly. I don't care. Until there is a mechanism to control the owners, the dogs will have to take the heat.

And that goes for all dogs-I never trust them. I've been chased by dogs while running before. Fortunately when I did my best to kick them into low earth orbit, they didn't come at me again.

10. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually attacked by a family freinds yellow lab when I was younger, Went to give him a treat and he latched onto my side. This lab lived with two pits and a duck and ill tell you what the duck was a bigger concern than the pits.

"That's naive. You can't have it both ways, at least not safely." So are police dogs unsafe?

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard one instance of a police dog killing anyone or mauling a child.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No group of people has their head in the sand more than pitbull defenders.

13. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly lol, A dog trained to Kill and not to kill!

Pitbulls were one of the first dogs used in the police force

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is called sarcasm.....

63 stitches in my neck and face from a Rot...... Clearly Pit were bred to fight, so were many other breeds. Doesn't mean we should kill them all.

That being said.. I also wouldn't own another now that I have small children. FWIW

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pitbulls make up a very small percentage of all dog breeds in the U.S. But, they are responsible for nearly all human deaths. So, tell me how that has nothing to do with the breed.

They have the tools to kill people, because of the breed. They are wired differently in the brain. They snap. I get so tired of hearing what a wonderful pet a particular pit was just prior to it going insane and killing a child or mauling a jogger. I wouldn't leave a loaded gun laying around in my home, and I would never allow a pitbull in my home. Its not worth the statistical risk and the bad results continue to repeat. If you ignore the numbers, you are taking a risk with your life and the lives of those around you. And, you are risking losing everything you have.

They don't just bite you and run off like most breeds. They clamp down and start to shake violently to bring you to the ground where they can then go for the kill. That is a breed specific trait, period. Ultimately, it is the breed that allows them the ability and mentality to kill. Just like the breed of thoroughbreds allows them to be fast. So yes, a breed specific ban would save lives and to argue otherwise is to ignore the facts.

16. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Should PB's be eliminated Fletch? Or just better controlled?

17. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very misunderstood, mis raised, breed. My amstaff falls into the restricted breed and is basically a cross of pit bull and bull dog. Literally the ****er is a little ***** and will never hurt a human being. I'd put my life on that, I made sure of it. Im actually kind of worried he wont protect me if ever needed.

It's all in the owner and how they raise their dog. Also since people think they're dangerous, they always get pet control called on them because they're labeled as bad dogs. Other dog breeds that don't bite, don't get cops called on them as much.

You guys realize pitbull variant the American Staffordshire terrier was recognized as the all American dog? They used to be depicted as nice dogs in movies until the media moved on from chow chows and doberman pinscher to pitbull. It's just the flavor of the week.

Fletch. The stats are skewed. If one reports 90% of pitbull bites but only 50% of lab bites, then you're pulling from skewed data. So your stats are facts, but the facts arent based on good data. Guaranteed pit bulls get reported more than other dogs.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No, its because they kill and maul people. Facts have nothing to do with flavor of the week. As their numbers grow, so do the bad results. There is no debate to that.

19. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Should cities ban all Terriers?

Also, Are pits just a more common dog in the U.S.?

FYI- Doberman, Rotts, Weimaraner, Danes, Schnauzers, Bulldogs, and Pits were all originally trained as Guard/Attack dogs

20. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think its a flavor of the week. Pitbull attacks have been in the news for almost 30 years. This was from 1987.

[​IMG]