Study: One Sit in the Deer Woods = 3 days of pressure

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by henson59, Jul 31, 2014.

1. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  2. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that article. Pretty interesting. I question it slightly, but it makes a bit of sense

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think it makes sense, bucks during the rut move, So the 3 days could be that buck making his loop or him getting scared off. This is also assuming the buck always figures out that you are in the stand. I believe you can over hunt an area but I dont think it is as straight forward as one day on 3 days off

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree I don't think its as straight forward but I do try to aviod hunting the same stand two sits in a row during bow season. I may hunt the same general area but just choose a different stand.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is there merit to the concept sure...but I can think of countless times where I've had bucks come by my stands more than one day in a row...or multiple times in the same day. I can also think of a handful of guys on this very site very quickly that have seen similar. Each buck is different and who's to say the hunters in the study were using any or all the same scent precautions I take...or that they hunted where I would with the same thermals, pre-dawn winds, pre-vailing winds or countless other situational items.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    what a bunch of poppycock, typical drivel. Sorry I know it is difficult to go too far into depth in a 1 page article but the mature bucks going nocturnal and avoiding bait sites based on hunting pressure is not even measured in a meaningful way. I am no noted researcher but I have seen things go a little differently in the real world. I feed the deer year round and have trail cameras out and watch trends. I do not hunt early season and there is no hunting pressure in the area around where I hunt. Every year when the velvet comes off and the buck groups break up the bucks tend to go nocturnal for the most part. As far as a bait pile if just 1 day out of the blue there is food in a spot that has not been there a deer any deer is going to be suspicious, on the other hand if there is food in the same spot it has been for years deer are going to react differently.

7. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a big 12pt walk under my stand at 3 yards, look up at me, catch me moving, bolt off into the timber.

The next night my buddy shot that same deer out of the same stand with a bow.

Deer respond to pressure in different ways in different areas. If I sit the same stand 2 or 3 days in a row on my private parcel the deer will feel the pressure. If I sit it once and get busted, I rarely see much change in deer movement; the next day they are back at it again. .

8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't baiting illegal in Minnesota Sota?

9. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I definetly think you can overhunt a stand or area I put very little stock in this study. I've seen too much in the woods that contradicts it.

10. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only hunt my one piece of property, which is 9 acres. Last year I hunted at least 30-40 times in the same stand and had no problem seeing deer more than half the time. I saw some decent bucks during rut, I just didn't get a shot. So I'm going to continue hunting as much as I can/want because I'd rather "pressure" the deer as the article says, than miss an opportunity because I wasn't in the stand.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you asked. I do not feed during the time frame I hunt. Feeders are removed 10 days prior to hunting. You can still feed on your property and hunt the land and not be breaking the law as well. I would not advise this unless you know a CO and can confirm that you are not breaking the law

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I was simply confused then by your statement that you feed year round....that would mean the property has bait on it 100% of the year. My confusion.

13. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are also changing the behavior of the deer by baiting so your trends that you witness are not accurate for those who do not bait

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Considering the article mentioned mature buck behavior at bait piles I would have to say what I am doing and seeing applies to what the article was about

15. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with this. I know you can over pressure, but you never know with wildlife. One thing is certain....they are unpredictable most of the time. Especially during the rut. You might scare a couple bucks one night and the next night 5 new bucks come through while the first two are avoiding your stand.

I would say the rut throws everything off and you better be in a tree stand while that is happening. If you have the ability to not over hunt an area I would absolutely agree with that if possible. Just isn't always a possibility. If it isn't a possibility then get out there in the stand. Entrance to the stand has a big effect on this too.

I would be curious to see the patterns of the deer before season. If mature bucks in the study were easy to pattern or not with no hunters. Interesting article either way.

16. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on area. Where I hunt in the suburbs there are constantly people in the deer woods, so it means absolutely nothing to the deer. Dogs are a completely different story, deer beat it right out of there if chased by loose dogs.

17. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bet in the future you'll change your mind on hunting 9 acres 30 to 40 times a year.

18. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By me the Mature Bucks (5 yrs+) have bait piles figured out. I determined, using cameras, that if you put corn in a pile the big bucks avoid it and will only eat the food plot. If you scatter it around the will eat it.

19. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can see, as you said "decent bucks" but the mature (5yrs+) you don't see.

20. PTjoe

PTjoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i would question what the entry and exit routes are.. are you getting in AND out scott free?