Running again

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by LittleChief, Jul 29, 2014.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My two week break in running ended this past weekend and I went for a three mile run Sunday morning. It was terrible timing.

It was nice and cool all week and then the weekend was miserable. It was 83 degrees with what felt like 100 percent humidity and no breeze. You runners know that feeling.

Anyway, the ankle wasn't perfect and was a little uncomfortable, but it didn't really hurt. It was a little tender the next day but today it feels fine.

I'll keep my mileage down and work up slowly and see how it goes. I'm not sure what I'll do if I can't get past this. Too many people donated money to this for me to back out.

On a side note, I'm exactly 6' tall and when I started this I weighed 220. I've changed my eating habits and cut beer almost totally out, so I continued losing weight even though I wasn't running. I'm down to 195 now and still dropping. I've broken out my old 34 waist pants and shorts and I'm up to the last notch in my belt.

If this keeps up I'm going to need a new wardrobe.

2. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! sounds like you are doing really well. Congrats on the weight loss.

3. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    go johnny go!

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good to see you back out there!!!

5. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it up. Most weight is lost is in the kitchen. I know the feeling of running in the heat. I was stationed in Lemoore, Califorina!!

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Running is tough this time of year in the south. It's 5am or after dark or you feel like stroking out from the heat the entire run...

Good on you on the weight loss man. I hit a similar stride last winter/spring. I weighed 220 6'2" Christmas of 2012... By August 2013 I was 180. I'm back up to 200 now (half that was gained back in the weight room, the second half from summer time beer habits). I hope to cut back to around 180 again by the end of this falls hunting season and the just get toned/lean while maintaining that weight.

7. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Take her slow and easy... One thing you may want to consider (This is a problem for me) is make sure your shoes match your "pronation." Never heard of this before recently... but we all either land neutrally, roll our feet from the outside in (me) or from the inside out. I don't understand all this but it definitely seems to cause foot and ankle pain when mismatched.

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I was in in Lemoore for a while... There was a small river outside one of the gates where I caught so many bass it was ridiculous. I loved that place.

9. slowpoke69

Dislikes Received:
    I myself have a slight under pronation. I recorded my self running on a treadmill and sent it to a online running shoe store. I forgot the name but they told me what I had and recommended some shoes. It really helped with my running and shin splints....not fun.

As for Lemoore didn't care to much for it. I did enjoy running at night on base tho. The temp was awesome. I preferred Oak Harbor, WA more.

10. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I went there from Central Louisiana... as far as heat and humidity, anything was an improvement.

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I took care of that from the start. I bought my shoes at Fleet Feet in Memphis after having them watch me run.

12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That's just a little weird. I've been stationed at Lemoore, CA and NAS Whidbey Island (Oak Harbor, WA) too. I loved Whidbey Island and I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Today was supposed to be another running day, but now I have a new problem. I woke up at 3:00 am this morning with sharp lower abdominal pains. The pain is way down low and in the center. It was a miserable day. The pain is still coming and going, but it's eased up a lot.

I have no idea what's going on here but I know better than to try to run. If it's not gone by tomorrow I'll head to the doctor.

Again.

14. slowpoke69

Dislikes Received:
    Make it even weirder....I would too.

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, as long as you don't mind a lot of cloudy, drizzly days, it's fantastic.

I arrived there during what they considered a terrible heat wave. The high temp was 89 I think and the humidity was low. :)

I remember having an outing planned with some church folks shortly after arriving. It was drizzling rain, of course, and when I asked if we were still going since it was raining, I was told "Sure! I know it's raining but it's a dry rain." That's one I'll never forget.

16. slowpoke69

Dislikes Received:
    When I was there it didn't rain all the time. When it did it was nice, and you got used to it.
    I flew my dad out to visit me for 2 weeks in July. I told him to prepare for cooler temps so he didn't bring shorts. The whole 2 weeks was around 90°