If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife or......

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife and no God, would you still hold true to the teachings of your religion? Would you still raise your kids based on the Bible, Koran, and Torah to name a few?

2. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trick question - The only way anyone could know for certain is through death and if you are dead you cannot teach anything.

3. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No and my wife had better let me sleep in on Sunday.

4. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Matthew 7:14 - "For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few."

Is there any other way to live? Not for me.

5. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe the better question would be: If the angel Gabriel came to you in your sleep and told you God is real, is your first thought when you wake up going to be "Oh Crap" or "hallelujah!"?

6. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

Anyways back to the original question

No one would follow their religion 100% if it was proven to be 100% false. Could they still live a moral life? Of course, as many people who do not believe in religion still live moral lives.

7. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i don't remember my dreams. Sometimes I wake up and realize I was dreaming, but have no idea what I was dreaming.

But even if I did remember, I would know it was just a dream.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It would not change my approach not one bit, it hasn't ever since I realized I don't have an invisible friend.

9. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly we would have a ruckus around the world. Im not quite sure how you would convince a devout religious person that there is no afterlife, but since many convicts and crazies find comfort in God, not having a God, I presume would resort to evil and chaos.

As much as I don't believe in God, and as much as some people do bad things in the name of God, we need God for the "weaker" people who hold it together only for God.

10. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on if I were the only one who knew or if everyone did. If I were the only one that knew then it would be in the best interest of everyone to not reveal the truth to anyone. I would take it to my grave. Otherwise if everyone knew, then religion and churches would inevitably go away on their own. While not a deeply religious person, I do feel the world is a lot better place with people that believe in a god and try to be good because of it.

11. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I may be weak but I'm gonna start praying for you. If I am good enough at it you will know better someday.

God Bless!

12. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen a more misconstrued view of God in my entire life. lol

You don't believe there even is a God, but we need him (who's him if there isn't a him?) for convicts and crazies to not keep being convicts and crazies? :lol:

I tend to agree with the above sentiments that it is impossible to know there is no God so I can't really answer that. I can say that regardless of my religious views, I wouldn't really change my lifestyle at all. I certainly don't lead a perfect life now, and I wouldn't as an atheist either. Doesn't change my views of what comes next or where this all came from though.

13. FroMan

FroMan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sure as heck would. No doubt about it.

14. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Many people in this world need something to make their life worth living. If some see their lives as pointless, which some do, they go around killing people. People do this. For many people who seek God for comfort fulfilling something with a higher purpose, they may act in a certain way and not do crazy things. Im not saying this is all people, as that would mean atheists and the like would simply all be crazy. Just for the select few who need God. Literally.

15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So if we give everyone a purpose to live they won't turn into a crazy killer?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

16. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    "As much as some people do bad things in the name of God, we need God for the "weaker" people who hold it together only for God." - Just out of curiosity, what's the ratio of bad things done in the name of God vs. bad things done for other reasons? To point the finger at one side without the data reference the other is sophistry at best. Then, defend the claim that we need God for weaker people. Just to help you, look up the Psychology Today article that states studies show that people of faith tend to have lower blood pressure, manage stress better, recover from surgery faster, and live longer than non-believers. Follow that up with the study out of Duke University that shows that religious people tend to have higher ethical and moral standards than non-believers. To a rational person, this would lead to the realization that people of faith are not the weaker at all.

17. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I think you guys took my "weak people" argument the wrong way. I wasn't calling people of faith weak, I was saying there are those who are weak who turn toward faith. As in the small amount of crazies and hardcore criminals and of course some of your everyday people who wouldn't be able to bear the thought that there is nothing in the after life.

It would be hard to distinguish bad things done in the name of God vs not as basically every war or battle was done and blessed by people of the cloth.

18. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's strange because out of all the Chaplains I know, not a single one ever blessed combat or war. I heard them pray for our courage and safe being and I always heard them attest "Thy will be done." That means whatever God decides we accept. Never had one with the "Let us slaughter our enemies and do bad things to them." Either you are misconstruing what the Chaplains were praying for because you don't believe, or I must have had all the good Chaplains.

19. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Don't how my piece got edited out, I must've written it then edited it. I meant to write before the 1950s, wars were blessed by people in cloth. This is only in America, many other places around the world, the wars are still due to religion. I was about to throw an old man joke at you, until I realized I hadn't put that date.

20. Iowa Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK, show me where before the Korean War American religious leaders blessed wars. Historical documents will do fine.