Passing on does with fawns.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by thirdhandman, Jul 25, 2014.

1. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The DNR sets hunting dates in order for the hunters to have enough time and opportunity to manage the herd. They do this with the fawns in mind. By the time hunting season rolls around the fawns are old enough to survive on their own. Sure they will still nurse up till the rut but are eating solid foods and will survive on their own.

Curious as to why so many hunters do not want to orphan a fawn but will take out a 1 1/2 year old doe?

2. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say that it is mostly personal preference. Just knowing she has a young-un with her. If I shot a doe and did not know she had a little one with her before the shot, I would not be upset about it, nor would I be bothered by anyone else that may do that. If I seen a doe with a young-un I would probably not shoot.

3. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    By the time our season starts (or a few weeks in) the fawns have lost their spots and tend to be with larger groups of does. I will usually pass earlier in the season if a fawn is acting like it's reliant on the mom. Just a personal choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i normally pass if the fawn still has spots.

5. Jtrump

Jtrump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I know the Rut is soon I don't mind.. As they will get chased off by the male deer most of the time then anyway. I have passed on some, and on one occasion I took her, Felt kinda bad ;(.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    By hunting season they are old enough to survive in there own. It's no different then a coyote killing the mom in summer or fall. The fawns are prepared to adapt on their own.

7. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just a big old softy I guess. I passed alot of does and fawns last year.

8. rustyreno

rustyreno Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I shot a doe who was with 3 other deer. It was just after legal hunting light and she left the others and walked past the stand 3 times before I shot her. When I dressed her she still had milk so I would assume the fawn of the group was hers. The fawn had walked up within 5 yards from me when I was retrieving my arrow, but then ran off. Two weeks later I saw the fawn again with another fawn and two more deer, so they can definitely adapt to live without their mother by the time the season rolls around.

-Andrew

9. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The way I look at it, it serves a couple purposes. Number one if you shoot a doe that has 2 fawns with her, those two fawns are more educated about hunters. Number 2, having the doe take care of the fawns just a little bit longer may give them an edge on their overall health and survival. Plus for me I don't want to be gutting a deer while her fawn stares at you. Talk about a guilt trip.

10. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If doe fawns I would rather shoot them and pass on mom, less meat but a lot better tasting!

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the size of the fawn. If they appear mature, I may take the shot. I have had very small fawns wander by, alone, early in the season calling for mama though and it is a bit sad knowing predators will take them out.

But the predators, cars or other causes of death don't follow the seasons. I found this one on a preseason scouting trip
    [​IMG]

~Bill

12. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    our family rule is no "mommas with babies or babies"

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have in the past as long as the fawn didn't have spots. But lately I try target solo does or take an adult doe out of a doe group. No scientific reason, just I feel less guilty. Once I shot a doe with a fawn (no spots), turned out she still had milk and that deer stood 20 yards away bleating the whole time. Guess I am getting soft in my old age. I felt bad but hoped that deer would meet up with other does in the doe family group I knew to be in the area.

14. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's just personal preference. We actually have a really healthy mature doe who gave birth to triplets this year. I'd rather do my part to keep her healthy so she can care for the 3 fawns than to fill the freezer when there's plenty of other mature deer available.

15. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a problem letting the arrow fly. By the time the season rolls around the fawns can handle them selves. Hell they will probably get shot during rifle season around here anyhow.

Bottom line, I've shot mommy with fawns before and will do it again.

16. frantzracing0

frantzracing0 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually pass, even if it means taking a slightly smaller doe on another day. I have no qualms against anyone who chooses to shoot, the fawns are well established and can survive. I just prefer to get the mom and fawns on video if I have my camera with me as opposed to shooting

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's nothing more enjoyable than shooting a lone doe, and just moments after you shoot her, her twin fawns come into the same foodplot and start to bawl and stand over her. Scare them off for them only to return and continue to bawl. One of my favorite hunting experiences of all time.

Not really, it sucks and I have no interest in shooting a doe with a fawn, I'm just not that hard up for meat.

18. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not shoot fawns or does with fawns. To each his own.

19. Sport4

Sport4 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't shoot either. I had a group of six does come in one time, 2 fawns, 1 mature doe, and 2 bigger but not as big as the one. I shot one of the 2 bigger does and it went 60 yards and crashed. The other five ran off together and I was glad about that. Got out and met a buddy to come help me drag it out. Was walking up to her and one of the fawns was standing by her saw us and started walking towards us. My buddy actually shot at her and missed (was actually happy) and she trotted off but came right back. Buddy wanted to shoot her again but I spooked her off. She still stood and watched from a distance as we drug her mom out of the woods. I felt bad.

20. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind shooting a doe with fawns later in the season but I'd just as soon shoot a 1.5 year old barren doe . There's usually plenty around and they're nice and tender but I still won't shoot one till after my buck is down .