P90x3

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Jul 18, 2014.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know this comes up every now and then... So here we go again.

I am in the sorriest shape of my life. I am still recovering from my second stomach surgery (March 3rd and June 6th)...

I am thin to begin with (6' 160# pounds pre surgery) but the lack of eating and from the recovery I lost a lot of muscle (was down as low as 141# right after the second surgery. I am currently at 150#). Seems my body consumed it's self since there wasn't much fat present and I had been on liquid diets for 4 months and soft foods for two months.

Now that I am near the end of my recovery I need to get back in shape. Not all that worried about bulking up more so to get these muscles working again.

So I ordered the P90X3 Elite block, ordered a chin up bar and bought two 25# dumbells. Am I missing something?

Any advice to give?

2. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    maybe talk with your doctor and ask if your body is ready / healed enough for such a strenuous work routine.

3. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto - You need to ease back into it.

4. Sswpriz

Sswpriz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on checking with the doctor.
    My son does the P90X3, he was at 6'-1" - 140#. He got it to bulk up the muscles, now he weighs about 158#, After watching him do this all the time, it definitely isn't for everyone, it is a very strenuous exercise. I'm 61 yo and that regimen would probably kill me !

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ditto on making sure you are ready and healthy enough to start it. If you are it is a great and intense workout that will get you back in shape with quick results. I'd look into a recovery drink to take after your workouts. Also may need some different pound weights other than 25lbs.

6. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    P90X was designed by psychopaths.
    Check with your doctor first.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the opinions. I do in fact have an appointment with the surgeon on Monday morning. I won't start until he gives me the OK.

NY I remember you doing this. How many sets of dumbells did you use / need? Did you use any resistance bands?

As for the recovery drink... Would whey protein be fine? I drink Body Fortress whey protein everyday for breakfast. I have for years. Would that also be ok for the post workout recovery drink?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  8. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Whey protein is probably okay, but don't forget the BACON.

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Of course everything depends on your doctor giving you the OK to start, but-

Skinny as you say you are, for the first month or so I'd concentrate more on muscle building and core conditioning (doesn't necessarily mean weights- push-ups, sit-ups, pull ups are still great exercises) before you tackle P90x3; with intervals of cardio- running, swimming, and/or biking. If you have to use alternatives or modifiers, start there, but the idea is the same. Once you have a base built up, then get into the regimented programs.

I've seen too many people dive into a program and get frustrated (including myself more than once) and give up because they were not even in good enough shape to start said program. You can do a heckuva lot of exercises with just your body, a mat, a cheap bench, and a set of 25lb dumb bells. If you can get yourself up to say 30 legit push-ups, 10 pull ups, and 100 good crunches, and the ability to run at least a 9 minute mile, then you may be ready to start P90.

P90x3 is no joke, but in IMO it's a bit easier than the older P90.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply.

I would not know where to begin in making my own routine, which is why I purchased a structured program to follow. I am 34 and have not had structured workouts since my senior year in 1998.

As far as the prerequisites you listed I am pretty sure I could still do each of those other than the 9 minute mile right now post surgerys. I am fit, not just skinny. I was a commercial carpenter by trade before all the stomach problems got worse. Granted I am not in the same shape I was pre issues but I believe I have decent base to build back upon.

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    P90X is a great program. Low impact high cardio type lifts which typically have low injury rates (compared to programs like cross fit).

I would tend to agree with the above though that heavier weight routines to bulk up may better suit you as small as you have become. I find P90X to be a program designed to cut you down, not really build you up.

Given your specific scenario, a gym membership at the local gym with a trainer setting you up on your own routine might show you better results.

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Like others said, check with your doctor. Make sure you practice good eating and drink LOTS of water. I am doing P90X now and seeing very good results. Wishing You the Best!!!

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Drink whey during the day and after workouts as it burns faster and if you can, drink casein protein before bed. It burns real slow and will keep your muscles fed throughout the night. That will help you build up a bit faster Scott.

14. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since the second one was born, I hardly have time for a bathroom break. Gym membership is not an option now.

I was going to the gym up until right before he was born. Never got much done there waiting for turns though.

15. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never hear of that. I will look into it.

16. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Scott- I had everything from 10lbs to 30lbs. Some of the excersises I needed less weight to do the reps. Seems like a lot and a little expensive to stock up, but the variety is good. You can "bulk up" and add mass if you use enough weight to do 8-10 reps and max out with that. You'll see the amount of weight you use increase rather quickly.

Be sure to keep records of your weights and reps. Print out the worksheets from the website. I started out with bands and IMO.... they suck. I replaced all excersises with the weights. Really good excersise program with great variety. I was like you and wanted bulk rather than tone. Honestly it's not the greatest for that, but you do notice results. Plus you will feel like you can run through a brick wall after a month or so into it.

18. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Give me a mt bike, a chainsaw, a splittin maul, and a hot wife... that is all the exercise I need :)

19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Weight bands.

20. patmcm129

patmcm129 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i did p90x but never stuck with it. hard to do at home by yourself and stay motivated. I now do crossfit, definitely more expensive but i enjoy it and it keeps me motivated by working out with others.