*Official 2014 - Battle of the States Competition Rules & Sign Up*

Discussion in 'Other Deer Contests' started by tynimiller, Jul 14, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, many of you gave input towards how to set up or attempt the first ever BH.com member driven Battle of the States competition.

PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING RULES IN THEIR ENTIRETY - FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN YOUR ENTRANCE BEING DENIED​

---------------------------------------------------------------------​

RULES:

First and foremost the biggest thing that separates this competition from the annual BH.com contest is that their is a stricter membership requirement. This isn't done in an attempt to keep people out, it is solely designed to keep only members that have proven active by their tenure here. This will add some motivation (albeit small) to keep coming back to the boards consistently.

**IN ORDER TO TAKE PART IN THE BATTLE OF THE STATES YOU MUST HAVE JOINED BY
    SEPTEMBER OF 2013**

If you don't qualify please continue to root your state on and feel free to place bets (not monetary) or talk smack as that only increases the fun of this whole thing!

Another main difference is this is a buck only competition...must be the 1st buck harvested with archery equipment. Fergie clause does apply if smaller than 50 inches gross.​

All other rules mimic the normal bh.com contest rules HERE, unless stated differently in the scoring and sign up points made below.

SCORING

Individual scoring for each hunter is the exact same as the bh.com competition...although YOU WILL HAVE TO ADD THE STATE (OR AREA TEAM) YOU REPRESENT ALONG WITH ALL OTHER PERTINENT ITEMS WHEN POSTING HARVESTS (A score thread will appear when we get closer to season openers). **If your buck didn't qualify for the regular bh.com contest, it will not qualify for this (NO EXCEPTIONS).

The way the competition winner is accomplished is going to be different as well; instead of gross total of the team it will be THE AVERAGED SCORE/HUNTER ON THE TEAMS. This is a way to not have to eliminate hunters who joined early enough to qualify and desire to join in on the fun! This competition is also centered around bucks....yeah yeah yeah....but it is only for fun, so whether trophy hunter or not JOIN!!!

Example of a team score:

Member1 - 180 1/8 (buck @ 180 1/8)
    Member2 - 90 7/8 (buck @ 90 7/8)
    Member3 - 100 (buck @ 100)
    Member4 - 50 (Fergie clause buck)
    Member5 - 211 (buck @ 211)
    Member6 - 0
    TEAM TOTAL= 632
    AVG/HUNTER= 105.33

*In an effort to eliminate outliers or those inevitable seasons where guys eat their buck tag the following rule adjustment will occur:

For every 5 players on a team, one (zero) score will be allowed to be dropped from the average calculation. This is in an effort to account for the zero outliers on a team and let's face it life and hunting don't always go as planned....

TEAMS

Obviously team size isn't crucial with the average being applied per team but I would still hate to see anyone with a team of only 2 or 3...as we all know part of the fun is communicating with others or at minimum paying attention to other hunters' seasons. So in an effort to keep team numbers as high as possible I will have to probably join sections or areas or states together due to numbers...this will be done in the most fair way possible.

***I would also have it be known that we will see how sign ups go. If as we close in towards August numbers just are not high enough I will open up the eligibility parameters more. If done a brand new thread will be posted and that explained so all will see it.***

SIGNING UP

A sign up thread will appear as soon as this thread is posted and will be linked HERE...only sign up posts will be allowed there for a clean tallying to occur. Any discussion, smack talk or inside bets to occur on this thread or others created. SIGNING UP WILL CLOSE ON AUGUST 1ST...THAT WAY PLENTY OF TIME FOR SMACK TALK CAN COMMENCE!

Lastly, I am doing this out of the sheer hope people enjoy this. I in no way will put up with complaints or desires for bending rules or other various things. I understand I cannot please everyone, so please respect that the attempt to be fair to all was made and move on if not the way you'd hoped....also know I will have no hesitation in simply shutting it down and letting someone else run it if too many people cause issues...LET'S MAKE THIS FUN.

------------------------------------------------​

LET'S GO HOOSIERS....LET'S MILAN HIGH THIS THING AND SHOCK THE FORUM!​

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I am reading does also count?

I'm in if it is buck only. Most likely pass if does are included as well.

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Crap it wasn't supposed to...way too late to be writing the rules....it is one buck only and must be first one...editing now.

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for clarifying.

5. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How come you decided to go with a date instead of a min post count?

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Corrected...should show now.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He conspired with the powers of bh.com to exclude you.

He is ruthless.

8. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How did you know I was going go sign up and change my screen name to "member6" ??

9. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Cause he must be really scared of me! I'll take that as a compliment :)

10. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what date was selected people would be left out. This way this competition will always include at least no new people to how the bh.com competition is ran; which will make this run a lot smoother!!

11. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Its no big deal, im new to bow hunting anyway and have yet to shoot a deer with my bow, but ive been putting a lot of time and energy into it this year!

12. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crap...missed out by a month...oh well, good luck guys.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have a feeling this will go well so next year no doubt!!

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Just some thoughts,

That's okay, I think the one contest is enough considering how this ended up being set up based only on a years membership being the only qualification to be a part of. That way it seems like the only goal was to make a similar contest to the BHOD contest except with people a year or more membership and teams divided by states. I have more posts since august than many that have been members since way before that so a years membership doesn't mean that much as an inclusive or exclusive factor in my honest opinion.

It was a far more interesting idea when it was going to be based on last years contest high scores, would have made it inclusive to anyone active for nearly a year and a top tier contest...so, far different from the normal contest. That way it also complimented the original contest in that it would make folks try to score higher in the normal contest so they could be included in the top tier states version in later years.

I'm never sure how much time I'll actually have to devote to hunting anyway, always depends on harvest and I have more acres this year than ever.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Covey, I did add to the rules a clause that will allow if sign ups are lacking near August to open up sign ups. I will however at that time if it happens attempt to contact all who showed interest as well as post a fresh thread with the news and new parameters.

16. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    That's okay, no biggie.

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just missed the cut off - LETS GO MINNESOTA!

18. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Now there's two Minnesota guys out! Hopefully it gets opened up to us in august!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As you throw darts at a print out of his avatar.

I just missed the cut as well. but thats ok I still have the other contest.

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Covey is currently hurling arrows at a fresh tacked piece of paper on a target.... :) *It could get opened up fellas...time will tell.