Adding weight to shafts, has anyone tried this.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Matr138920, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Matr138920

Matr138920 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes when new arrows are bought, they are either too stiff or too flimsy and you need to add weight to the front to weaken them, or to the nock end to stiffen them. So I was curious if anyone has tried to add .243 bullets to their shafts, and the reason is with my traditional set up I'm too stiff. I was going to get some of the brass inserts, but the OD is bigger than the shaft and would stick in by bag target unless I grind or take a file to it. If anyone has, did you glue them in and with what glue or just insert them and go with it?

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About 4 years ago I used a 100 grain 243 bullet coated in glue and pushed it down the shaft from the nock end until it seated on the insert. was testing heavier heads and greater FOC. Probably have 50 or more shots with it and it still works like a champ. would not hesitate to use it on game...and may if a heavier arrow is needed. 243 bullets are available from about 60 grains to 105 so you have a selection. I pushed it down flat end first and had a lot of glue on it. can't recall the exact brand of glue right now. Also screwed in a target point with a little Vaseline on the threads to keep the glue from going out the insert and pugging up the threads.

3. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered some new arrows and some 50 gr brass inserts to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk