New to bowfishing

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by maxpetros, Jul 8, 2014.

1. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just purchased a muzzy xd bowfishing kit and excited to try it out when my foot is better! Any tips on setting it up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone?

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have taken all mine in to get setup, so I don't know any tips

4. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone else?

5. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure the reel seat is tight! Crank the reel down good, when you spool the line on the reel, wrap the spool a couple times in teflon tape, then tie the line on with a slip knot followed by a square knot, the teflon tape will keep the line from spinning around on the spool. I prefer shooting with my line tied to the tail of the arrow, if you forget to press your button, the arrow will fall off the string rather than being shot and breaking off into the deep

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    So you prefer tying it off over the AMS safety slides?

7. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Tune the bow nock high, 1/4" is not uncommon. You need a slightly high nock flight so that the arrow punches into the water better and doesnt plane out. Straight arrow flight is key for penetration on fish. A papertune is a good way to start but when the line is tied on everything changes slightly. Oh and best piece of equipment you can add, is a TJE Designs Shoot-Thru rod. Takes alot of stress off your reel, makes arrow flight a ton better, and gives you good leverage on fish. Highly recommend it!

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    Will check it out!

9. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir, Muzzy even recommends it with their reels, its safer. i always get better more consistent arrow flight. If you ever shoot deep water the slides can create drag, just a little loop of line does not.

10. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Muzzy and Shoot-thru rod. These 50 grass carp didnt like that combo so much tho...
    [​IMG]

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    [QUOTE=Nick_P;938052]Make sure the reel seat is tight! Crank the reel down good, when you spool the line on the reel, wrap the spool a couple times in teflon tape, then tie the line on with a slip knot followed by a square knot, the teflon tape will keep the line from spinning around on the spool. I prefer shooting with my line tied to the tail of the arrow, if you forget to press your button, the arrow will fall off the string rather than being shot and breaking off into the deep[/QUOTE]

I just had that happen to mine when on the Ohio river. Not a good place to not have drag. Luckily we had electrical tape in the boat. It also works as does the teflon tape. For the OP dont skip this, it works!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  12. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just had that happen to mine when on the Ohio river. Not a good place to not have drag. Luckily we had electrical tape in the boat. It also works as does the teflon tape. For the OP dont skip this, it works![/QUOTE]
    I guess Im not really understanding what you guys are talking about right here with the teflon tape. One thing I did notice was some how I kept hitting the swtich so it could back real, so you would hit a fish think you locked the button and he would still be running the line out. I broke the little tab off so I cant catch that any more (still can move it with my finger if ever needed but not real sure why they put it on there at all)

13. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess Im not really understanding what you guys are talking about right here with the teflon tape. One thing I did notice was some how I kept hitting the swtich so it could back real, so you would hit a fish think you locked the button and he would still be running the line out. I broke the little tab off so I cant catch that any more (still can move it with my finger if ever needed but not real sure why they put it on there at all)[/QUOTE]

You wrap the bare spool with a couple layers of teflon tape so that when you tie your first loop of line on, it stays tight and doesnt spin on the spool. If you dont tighten it enough you can actually have your entire spool full of line start rotating on the spool.

14. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Alright I got it now. Something I am going to have to look into doing then. Havent had a problem yet but better safe then sorry