Well, it looks like I've probably got Lyme...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Ventilator, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After a week of hellish flu symptoms, kill-me migraines, unexplainable redness around a sore on my leg, and several dr visits, including one to the ER for tachycardia, I found red splotches all over me yesterday after a shower. Another visit to the local clinic this morning, and the think that the dr there is convinced. They did a blood test, but the results won't be ready until tomorrow. Fortunately, the hospital had put me on antibiotics after my ER visit, thinking that I had an infection of some sorts going on, so I think I have a head start into it.

Either way, I'm glad that they at least have an idea of what's going on, and that I'm feeling so much better than a week ago.

V

2. ARCHER_CHI_RHO

ARCHER_CHI_RHO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ouch

get well soon

3. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you get it treated as fast as possible! As soon as lymes gets a foot hold in your body it's damn near un beatable and miserable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the well wishes.
    I've got an appt with my PCP this week, he'll put it all together I guess and develop a treatment plan. A few good things have come of this, though. One, it explains a lot about some symptoms that I have been having over the last month or two. 2nd, if the info I'm getting is accurate, the ticks can only transmit Lyme during the larvae stage, which is like now until September, once hunting season comes in, we should be good, although the dr I was seeing said that Rocky Mt Spotted Fever is back on the rise.

V

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dude I had it in 2012 and just Friday I dug another tiny tick out of my arm. Here I set at work today, aching and feeling dizzy, almost like I did in 2012... I don't know if I'm being paranoid or what but I can't help but wonder if I got it again.... my first round with it was 21 days of doxycycline. It sucks for sure.

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, dude. At least they caught it early.

After over a year of dealing with random symptoms (which to me scream Lyme,) my mom finally had a Lymes test on Friday. She's had dozens of blood tests, cancer screenings, auto-immune disease tests, bone scans, steroid prescriptions, etc; and more than 12 months later they (doctors) finally decided to check for Lyme.

I was so pissed...that would have been the FIRST test I would have ran. I hate doctors, they are the most clueless bunch of dbags on the planet. Should get the results today/tomorrow. I just worry that its been far too long and if it is Lyme now she's really screwed.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not fun to deal with at all, good luck.

8. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get well soon. This is why I always get treated right away when I find an attached tick.

9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man. I've had it twice now and both times got it early enough. I know the symptoms very well. Best if luck. The meds suck on an empty stomach.

10. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys.
    Funny thing is, I didn't even find a tick. The drs were real concerned about a spot on my shin, but to be honest, it looks like I banged my leg on something, got a small cut and bruise. They seem to think that that's the bite site though.

V

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the area I live in it is reported that 1 out of 4 ticks carry the disease, pretty good odds if you get a tick you will get sick

12. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you get well soon.

13. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Those reports are false.

Lymes while on the rise, is still a relatively obscure disease when it comes to infections. 1 in 4 is beyond epidemic status and it is no where near that.

Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is on the rise technically, but is WAY more obscure. It's just scarier cause it kills you so fast if you don't catch it right away.

Bottom line, we as outdoorsman have GOT to learn to use permethrin. My good friend almost died from Lymes 3 years ago, and I've used permethrin religiously since. Not one tick since then.

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I remember hearing the same thing about areas of Wisconsin regarding Lyme; and then I went to the website where the guy told me to find it and it was a story about how approximately 1/4 bucks in said area are estimated to have CWD. Nothing about ticks.

Not saying it's not true but if you heard it word of mouth things get twisted fast.

15. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    Well, back from my doc and all appears as well as it can. They are treating it as Lymes, hitting it with a heavy dose of antibiotics. According to the most up to date info, if it's caught early, and they think mine is, this round of meds could wipe it out completely, though I'll be tested for some time to come.

Thanks for all of the thoughts and well wishes.

V

16. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make sure you eat with those meds... before you take it...or it can be rough. I was eating after I took mine and ended up puking on week three, the meds were making me sicker than the disease at that point. Trevor is right we really need to get on with this permethrin stuff. I haven't used it or even researched it but everyone suggests it. I did buy 100 percent deet the other day. Im guessing I'll have to order the permethrin. Gonna research it now. Hang in there man it gets better from here.

17. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Aaron, don't mess with the spray bottles of Permethrin from the stores, it can be expensive. I got the concentrate bottles from Amazon and a one gallon sprayer. It makes like 20 gallons.
    I hang my clothes and completely soak them, let em dry. Have been tick free for a long time and you're not stinking yourself up with that deet crap.
    It works well on ant farms on my lawn too :tu:

19. Ventilator

Dislikes Received:
    I use Permethrin during early/mid season, though it seems now that the ticks are out of their larvae stage by then and don't carry Lyme then, though they still have other diseases to worry about. Though the mosquitoes don't bother me much, (and the Thermacell keeps them at bay), the Permethrin keeps the chiggers off of me too, as they'll eat me alive without it where I hunt.

I read somewhere of treating cotton balls with Permethrin and placing them in a tube, and putting them out for the mice to find and make nest out of. The Permethrin would kill off the ticks that spread Lyme from the mice and stop it at the source. Might be worth a shot, though I don't know if it would have any measurable affect on a larger scale.

V