ATV Guys........

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm 90% sure I'm going to pick up a used ATV in the next couple of weeks. Primary use will be general hunting use, food plots, hanging stands, hauling dead deer, and plowing my driveway in the winter.

Since moving to IL, I no longer have access to a tractor for food plot work. I don't have a place to store one out here either and the amount of $$$ I'm willing to spend won't get me into a tractor anyhow.

I want to make sure whatever I get is going to be capable of running a disc for food plots. I've always done this with a tractor and while I've ridden ATV's for many years I've never used one for work like this. Ideally I'll be running a smaller disc with an additional 100lbs+ of added weight along the lines of the one on the link below:

Brinly-Hardy Disk Harrow, Model# DD-55BH | Tillers| Northern Tool + Equipment

My goal is to buy an ATV that will last me a looooong time and I dont' want to burn one up doing work like this. I also anticipate someday when I move back to NY that I'll use it for hauling firewood and towing things up to 800-1000lbs.

How much ATV is really needed to reliably run a disc and do work like this? Has anyone gotten a lot of work like this done with a 400 class ATV or should I really be thinking about a big bore? I'd really like a 660 or 700 Grizzly but would love to save a few bucks if a 400-500 class ATV will get the work done too without compromising reliability.

2. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 Arctic Cat 400's I like them and have done the same stuff you are talking about. I have an 05 and 06 that I beat on all the time. My driveway is about 1/3 of a mile and it plows it no problem without chains. I tow trailers,disks just about everything you can think off and the only parts I have had to change is the brakes and a cv joint. I recommend Highly. Also if you go up to a 500 or hight they get harder to steer and I didn't like them.

3. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Arctic cats are made to work. I had a 08 650h1 and a 07 500. They are built like tanks,they're not speed freaks and they won't turn on a dime but they will dig and pull. I treated my 650 hard and it just wanted more. Lol. I would recommend finding a used arctic cat 700efi. You'll love it for what your going to do.

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bought a new to me buck wagon this weekend. Hoping to pick it up tomorrow!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good choice. My friend had one and I drove it and liked it alot.

6. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent choice, love the grizzly! I just rode the heck out of mine for 3 days straight in the U.P.
    It's a super reliable beast

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

8. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    very nice. I have a 06 honda 450s and love it! got it used for about $700 lower than what its worth. Had to do some brake work and put new (free!) tires on it so I've spent about what it's worth at this point. would trade mine for anything!

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You made a great choice. I had an 05 Grizzly 660 that I put over 8.000 miles on. Not one issue but normal wear.