Why the extreme lightweight bows?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ISiman/OH, Jun 26, 2014.

1. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Am I the only one that doesn't get why all the new bows coming out are so light weight? I prefer my bow to be heavy, like real heavy. Shooting my girlfriends new hoyt Ignite which is about half the weight of my Ross I notice a lot more "float" at full draw. Someone enlighten me to the advantages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The advantage is that it makes people go out and buy them. Some things just appeal to people more, light equipment is one of them, even if it hurts their accuracy.

The same concept applies for shotguns. A heavier gun is easier to swing, but bird hunters and others want lighter guns to carry in the field, which starts a competition to see who can make the lightest gun.

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's just preference. Bow manufacturers also have to think about hunters who hike miles and miles in the mountains for elk or and moose. Carrying a bow around at the ready when stalking an animal in dense old woods on a hillside can become a bit heavy along with a pack. The other thing is, some people like a lighter bow because it makes it easier if they are full drawn on an animal for a long period of time, the lighter the bow the longer they can be at full draw.

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like to shoot light bows with not stabilizers or any added weight besides sight and rest. I just shoot really well like that. Back when I had a heavier bow technology wasn't the same so I didn't shoot as well.

5. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Preference I'd say as well. For me I don't like a bow that is overly light as it seems to move around way too much. A slightly heavier bow helps keep things balanced better for me. Also seems to absorb more of the shock and vibrate less.

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see how heavy the bow is having an impact on holding time. That's all valley and let off. And as for carrying a bow around the woods. A pound doesn't make a difference.

7. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, I actually think more weight helps at full draw.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think there are so few places left to innovate with bows that this is one of the last areas manufacturers have room to make something that is different and "better" than others. I predict you will see a race on light weight bows over the next 5 years.

I also like a heavier bow, but I like being able to add the weight where I want it. I like getting the weight away from the riser and I like making the bow balance the way I want. On a hunting bow I don't care about this type of thing as much but on a target bow this can be really helpful to get a neutral balance and best float pattern.

9. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had multiple shoulder surgeries to my bow arm and holding my arm out with a heavy bow can be a problem. I did shop around for a light weight bow but actually ended up buying one that's heavier than my old bow because I didn't like the way the lighter bows felt but I do see why people would like a lighter bow.

10. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer a heavier bow myself.

V

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said it's just preference and the bow manufacturers are catering to what the demand is for. To some a pound may matter. Let off has little to do with the arm holding the bow and more to do with the draw arm. Some people get tired holding their bow extended in the hand they are holding it with, maybe due to injury or for a number of reasons I wouldn't know. I am posting subjectively. This is like asking why do people like drinking from a plastic cup over glass, who knows - who cares.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Tell that to someone hunting out West or in the Rockies. A pound most certainly can make a difference.

13. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Holding the bow out in front of you then yes. But if you're just walking around and a 6 pound bow (fully set up what mine weighs) makes you considerable fatigued over a 5 pound bow you need to reconsider your physical condition.

14. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish one of these bow companies would start producing bows like guns. What I mean: I can pick up my marlin slug master (gun) from the mid 90's that still looks good, shoots good and has not lost any value. I could give a flying **** if they made it a little lighter or quicker. If your such a great bow company make me something that looks good, works good and holds it's value for more than a couple of years.

I want a bow with the quality of a gun.

15. Mathewshooter

Mathewshooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Call me crazy, but I can hold my CS34 a lot more steady at full draw than I can my Switchback XT. The CS34 is a shooter for sure!

16. jjs3

jjs3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like to use my Z7 extreme for treestand and in a ground blind, then my ChillR or Hoyt CST for Elk & Bear when I'm not in a blind. As everyone said it's preference. When I bought new bows this year I kept saying I would sell the Z7X but I can't bring myself to do it.

17. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been in a staring contest with a deer where if I moved, he was going to bolt and spook everything in the area. I had to hold my bow out in front of me with my arm extended (not drawn back) for close to 5 minutes and let me tell you my arm was shaking then and sore the next day. Now I'm not one to look for a bow specifically for light weight, I'm just splainin' why someone might want one.

18. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually doubt the Western hunters worry about bow weight. If that light bow moves around a lot, there will be a lot of missed shots, especially with the longer shots out West.

If anything, companies need to start pushing lightweight accessories.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, but if you prepare for those situations that won't be a problem.

I practice holding my bow out in front of me for long periods of time, then draw and hold for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Then build it up with time.

20. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    High country started building an all carbon bow well over 10 years ago. Spencer Land the owner of High Country was a big time Elk hunter. He wanted the lightweight bow for carrying purpose only. He also was into Speed. At the time he also made the Speed Pro arrows. Tipped with a 100 grain broadhead it would weigh in at about 300 gr total.
    That was the beginning of the light weight bows. Today's light weight bows give the bow's owner the ability to add weight where it is necessary to perfectly balance the bow.