Do you hunt does?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you hunt does?

1. As many as you can

40.2%
  2. sometimes

49.5%
  3. rarely

7.2%
  4. never

3.1%
  1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt does unless I know someone who could really use the meat. I might shoot 2 or 3 does over a 10 year period.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i voted as many as you can but I'm in between that and sometimes. i normally take 1 a year. I always have people asking for meat so meat never goes to waste.

3. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love shooting does. It's great practice to ensure you're ready for the big boy when the time comes. Furthermore, managing the doe population is very beneficial to the herd and can help you substantially during the rut

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll always take a doe if possible for the meat.

5. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes , really depends on which property I am hunting when the opportunity presents itself . We usually end up with 3-4 in our freezer .

6. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like shooting does to put some meat in the freezer then I could hold out for a buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  7. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy shooting does and enjoy venison, but I understand which properties need does removed and which don't and hunt accordingly. If I was half the big buck slayer as you buckeye, I'd probably lay off does too.

8. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Your question is a little confusing. Instead of sometimes or as many as I can, u should've put it as sometimes, do it for doe management, and then as many as u can. It matters on what property u r hunting. If it's a decent sized property I take 2 does. If it's like 60 acres, I take 1 doe. I guess it also depends on how or where property is too. I take on average 2 does per property.

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the way you look at it.

I do not hunt does because I don't want to deal with gutting, dragging, driving to the butcher etc etc... I just save that effort for a deer I cannot say no to.

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is where the discussion part comes in, if I left off an answer.

I do not partake in any sort of deer management, so that never crossed my mind. I will edit the option and add a doe management option.

*Edit... Cannot edit the poll option.

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do like to shoot does but usually will only hunt them early season. I will never shoot a doe during the rut.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to shoot does to keep them in check. The most I have taken off one of my properties in a single year was 24. This year, may be even more. They are completely out of hand.

13. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in this camp. We love doe meat, and we love having a freezer full of good tasting venison. A good 1 1/2 year old doe is hard to beat for meat. Usually won't shoot one during rut unless we don't have any meat, which happened this year. If there aren't many deer on the property then I'll hold off too, but the past 6 years the only time I've shot does have been in october or when theres a ton of snow on the ground.

14. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    damn! I have some family in Cedar Falls, IA, and they said they've had tons of deer these past few years too.

15. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Time and a place for everything. Got to plan my hunts out and know when its a good idea to take a doe and when not.

Do I need the meat? Most important question to ask. Can I make a clean kill? Can I get it on camera? Do I have anything I'd rather do tonight than clean this deer...

So yeah a lot to consider but since I don't usually harvest a buck yes I look to take a doe.

16. Michigan Man

Michigan Man Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt does mostly in the early season and then in late season I have a buddy that has property and will gave us out during the late doe season to help manage the property and I normally can use a deer for the freezer and few others and any after my first give them to some needy families around our area

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

17. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only get one tag, so I don't shoot does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will shoot does but I will only kill them in very specific areas and at very specific times.

If I don't have a bucks bedroom pinned down (most of the time in previous seasons) I'll focus early on killing does and wait for the rut to try and kill a buck. I like killing deer and eating venison and this takes the edge off. It helps me to pass borderline bucks when I have already scratched that itch and filled the freezer with a doe.

This year I have a couple of low impact areas on my main lease that I'd feel comfortable shooting a doe without messing up a bucks bedroom. I'll likely focus on them when I can't get a decent wind for the bucks I'm trying to focus on.

I do have a couple of bucks that I *think* I have figured out and I'll be after them early if things line up for that, I won't even be thinking about shooting does on those hunts.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The older I get the fewer does I shoot. The past two seasons I've shot 1 doe each where when I was younger I'd shoot 2-4 of them. Part of me simply doesn't feel the need to shoot so many deer, especially considering the "crisis" of our population here in IL. Another part of me simply doesn't want to bother with the hassle of tracking them, dragging them out and taking care of them after the harvest. One is plenty of meat for me for the year so there's really no upside to shooting more.

I wouldn't say I ever go out "hunting" for a doe. The times when I do shoot them are times when I head out and say to myself "If a doe walks by I'm going to shoot her".

20. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually try to get a doe or two early in the season before the rut, during the rut I'll wait for a buck to show up. Late season I'll pass on does unless I haven't put any meat in the freezer yet.