Cat whiskers vs others

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Bow String Depot, May 31, 2014.

1. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Something to think about

String silencers
    anytime you put an object in between the strands of a string you are disrupting the tension of the strands. If you make either side of the string unequal in tension your arrow will shoot left or right. Also if the resistance of the string going forward is hindered in anyway it will make the string oscillate and cause problems. Any type of string silencer that is flat and can fly like a wing will become resistance for the natural path of the string. Thus why I prefer cat whiskers they go on the outside of the string and are round with the loss of maybe 2 to 3 fps. I also like any type of string silencers that wrap around a string like monkey tails etc etc. Just something to think about.

Hutch

2. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is the reason I went away from the Simms String Leeches years ago (and needing a press to install them). Then Mathews came out with Monkey Tails and I like them. The cat whiskers seem big and clunky to me. I also though if they got wet with a little rain they would at least double in weight and it would change how my bow shot. But I have no proof of that.

3. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had hutch put the whiskers on my Bowtech string. All I will go with now. His are small and not like the old style water don't effect them at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put whiskers on all my bowfishing rigs, and they work great. i have not tried them on my hunting bow because i weighed them on a scale and couldnt believe how much heavier they are than a leech. I only put a silencer on bottom, so i use one Duraleech on the string and one in each cable. My Carbon Spyder doesnt need much and i could probably shoot without them, but figure why not have a little extra. Good info Hutch it definitely makes sense!!!

5. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    One thing you might not know Nick is that Cat Whiskers come in different weights fine, medium and heavy. If you make them in a 1 inch ball with a fine weight Cw you will only lose 2 to 3 fps.

Hutch

6. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hutch what yours made out of? There a lot different than the ones I use to use in 90's, they were long and flat type.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. NJGobbler

NJGobbler Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I always liked the catwhiskers tied on and not through the string. But to be honest, I have not used a string silencer on the past 3 rigs I've hunted with. There was just no need.

8. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what about silencers on cables? looking to get some bowjax for my cables the ones you ziptie on.do you thing that would effect performance of bow?

9. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For a long time I was a cat whisker guy. In recent years, though, I have been shooting my bows with nothing on the strings. Modern advancements and heavy arrows have made anything else just extra weight for me.

10. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    think I mean got start prof reading befor I post

11. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would never use a silencer that had to be zip tied on... What an awful design. Not gonna put a zip tie on my $2000 bow!

12. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info Hutch i was not aware of that. I usually just buy the big strips of fluorescent colors from ebay, never paid any attention to the weight. I remember weighing a strip and it was over 35grains not including serving. Really surprised me!
    [​IMG]

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure the newer ones are way better than the old ones I used to have but I opted for the limb saver noise dampeners that go between the split limbs and a string decelerator. I also recommend the Saunders Hyper Glide, it changed the whole ballgame on my bow by keeping it quiet and smooth.

14. Bow String Depot

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking bow Nick! a little smaller cw balls and lighter weight material and that will change a lot.

Hutch

15. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just put some bowjax on a friends bow but l took the cables off and they slide onto them no zip ties they work great really quieted his bow. Heard the zip ties tend to slide on the string

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put the zip tie type on my hunting bow last year (Empire) just to try them out, and they surprisingly worked very well, and stayed put. The new Bowjax that I put on my Anarchy this week when I changed my strings were the slide on style, and they tend to slip down a bit, wrapped some serving under them and it seems to work. That all aside, the Bowjax have worked for me as well or better than any string silencer that I have ever used, I believe even better than cat whiskers. I'll stay with the zip tie style though, for as hokey as they may seem, they're not bad at all, work well, and will be easy to change if ever needed, though the ones from last year are wearing well.

V