The Farm by MnMoose

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by TwoBucks, May 4, 2014.

1. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! I thought I'd make my own thread to post some of the stuff that we are doing this year out at our hunting land. This weekend was the first time I had a chance to get out there since the snow melted and do some work. There was a TON of water around. Some areas that are usually dry land were under 12 inches of standing water! But I did manage to get out two monster raxx mineral sites and a trail cam. I found one of my dads ancient WildView Xtreme 2 cameras and got it to work! The date on it was 2005 so who knows how old it was in 2005 but its old! But at least I have something out there until my brother wants to put the good cams out. Here are a few pictures of the work we did.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good start! Looks like your camera is pointed high?

3. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I put it on and it's sitting about level, I'd like to have it point a little lower but I didn't think to use a stick behind the top until this morning:/ Either way I think it is back far enough that I will still be able to see the ground where the mineral is. If not it will be a lesson learned!

4. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good looking country out there! Look forward to seeing what kind of deer you got on the farm. Keep us updated with pictures

5. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I will definitely keep posting pictures! Is one week too soon to check for pictures? The card im using can only have 430 pictures. Should I check it after one week, or wait for two weeks?

6. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wait 1 week and check how they look... The camera looks a bit high from the picture.

Also, I had my camera out for 3 weeks on a MR site and had over 1,000 pictures. You will want to get a bigger card so you can stay off the property throughout the summer.

7. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    We will be on the property throughout the summer, food plots spraying planting hang stands Etc... But I will definitely get a bigger card. I might lower it as well

8. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Bring a digital camera out with you so you can check it right there.

Get an 8gb card... Holds thousands of pics and they're only $10.

9. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    These are the best kinds of threads to start, especially if they are updated with new info. Love following along to see what others are doing and why.

10. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    The camera is so old it will only take up to 2 gb, and they don't work in it so I'm gonna try 1gb which will get me a few thousand pictures at 300kb each. Once we get my brothers out we won't have a problem.

I'm still jacked that I got that camera working

11. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    We have a lot of work to do so there should be plenty of new content

12. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely check it after a week for the first time, then gauge the number of pictures you received for that week and calculate how long you think you can leave it. I like to stay out of the woods as much as possible until hunting season starts, to give the deer the "saftey" feeling ;) ...so i'll only check 2-3 weeks or so. Most of my cameras being on field edges until the acorns start to drop.

13. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    The Farm by MidwestMachine

Sounds good. I'll have to figure in that I will get slightly more pics as more deer find the mineral. Our deer should be used to farm equipment and food plot work since there are a lot of crops around

14. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I also did some research and apparently this model camera eats batteries and dies in a week

15. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Yikes! Probably takes 6 C/D batteries too huh? By the time you spend all the money in batteries per week, you could save up for 6 weeks (instead of buying batteries) and buy you a new cheapo trail camera. The nice thing about all this competition with trail cameras is it's causing the companies to make better and better cameras for cheaper and cheaper. There are some decent $60-80 out there.

16. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I just went out and got 74 pictures, saw 3 turkeys and 13 deer. I'll posts the best pics up soon

17. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    Here some pictures. Looks like I got three bucks, possibly a 1 1/2, 2 1/2, and 3 1/2? Its super early to be guessing age but I tried:) and a couple of Pregnant does!
    SUNP0009.jpg SUNP0012.jpg SUNP0014.jpg SUNP0032.jpg SUNP0042.jpg SUNP0043.jpg SUNP0044.jpg SUNP0046.jpg SUNP0047.jpg SUNP0049.jpg SUNP0055.jpg SUNP0057.jpg SUNP0058.jpg SUNP0072.jpg

The camera is a little dated but works good for almost 10 years old! Fresh batteries and a 1 GB card instead of 128 MB and we should be good for a couple weeks. Might switch this dinosaur out for a black flash next time we go out. Looks like they are taking to the Monster Raxx sites. The area where my second site is at has hundreds of tracks, hopefully we get a camera up over there soon too. Saw 3 turkeys right by this camera set up and 13 deer by the second MR site today while checking cards with my mom. (I brought her along since it was mothers day:) ).

What do you guys think about my age guesses on those bucks?

18. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good - Some of those deer look to have big enough bodies/faces for a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 yr old.

19. TwoBucks

Dislikes Received:
    I think 1, 5, 7, and 8 are 4 different bucks, what do you guys think? I know 1 is a young buck. 7 and 8 are definitely different bucks. but I also think that 5 is different from 6/7 and 8. The top of 5's head is dark while 6/7/9 and 8 appear to have light colored heads. also 8 looks to be a smaller head/body than 5? maybe im just trying to turn 3 bucks into 4 but it looks to me like I got 4 different ones

20. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Almost too early to tell right now - You will definitely have a better idea in the next few weeks!