Ticks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by demonpep, Apr 22, 2014.

1. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heard a story on the radio here in Chicago this morning on my way to work about a NW IL man walking his dog. He said that after the brief walk he and his dog had to take a tick bath and found more than 100 ticks on them. Guess the hard winter here didn't do any good for population control and the quick warm up woke them up. I will DEF be treating my clothing in Sawyers again this year. Stuff worked great for me last year. Not a single tick on me. Worth the money to me. I am a sissy about ticks with no shame.

2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After a round of Lyme disease in 2012... I couldn't agree more with you.

3. CRABCLAW

CRABCLAW Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We had a pretty cold Winter here as well. I was out scouting for Turkeys/Deer and did a little shed hunting yesterday, and found three of the damn things on me. I'm thinking it's gonna be ugly by the time I go Turkey hunting.

4. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just attend a lecture on ticks. It was said that a cold/hard winter doesn't kill tick because the just go dormant.
    Yup, permethrin.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

5. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Spray down good. I know the smell of off or repel can be really annoying but it beats turning into dinner or getting l.disease

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

6. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Terrible little things. ... I love that the permethrin not only repels them but kills the ones that are stupid enough to actually crawl on you

7. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Permithrin stops most if not all bugs in the woods. It's very cheap if you mix it yourself and works fantastic.

8. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year a great start of a turkey hunt got blown when the sun finally came up, I looked down and was covered in ticks inside my blind..........I jumped out screaming like a little girl, ripping off clothes buckey nake right there and started to pluck em furiously. I was too frantic to count but I had about 50 or so on me. I packed up and drove home in my undies, found two in my car a few days later and three in the house a week after that, my wife freaked out on me...........I have two bottles of Sawyers this year :)

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good reminder post.
    I'm heading to central 'Sconsin this weekend to start my plots and set some stands.
    Anyone recommend a good tick repellent for dogs? Heard that sentry and advantix cause cancer.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I permethrin everything I take to the woods. Even carpet in truck and camper. Everything and hit all my cloths after every wash.

11. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my skin is crawling just thinking about it. I love Sawyers its a lifesaver.

12. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to work at a PETCO. Both products should work just fine and not harm the dog. I am NOT a huge fan of tick collars however for one day in the field it might not be a bad idea as an additive

13. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm right there with you on that one

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    no joke, woke up in bed this AM to one crawling on my arm. Luckily when I killed it it had not fed yet. Dog must've picked it up at the dog park yesterday.

In all my 30+ years in the woods and fields, this is only the second time I've ever had one on me. Freaked me out, every little skin sensation has me searching myself. now I might go shave my head.

15. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ughhh, def not looking forward to the ticks!!! Thank god for permethrin!!!! Last year for spring turkey I had a crazy episode of a tick infestation in my home. Forgot the permethrin at home and was already at our hunting spot so figured it wouldn't be that bad. Well, I WAS WRONG!!! After my hunt I was taking off my camo at the truck and well they were all over me. Picked them all off of me and tried to shake out my clothes and pack as much as possible. When I got back home I left all my gear in the backyard just in case there were some still in there and to not bring them into the house...turns out I was right and they got out of my pack and clothes and into the yard looking for a host. Eventually they were feeding on my dog. Woke up the next morning and pet him after feeding him and felt them, pulled about 14 out of him. Couple days later he had even more on him. Took him to the vet for blood work and told the vet i found two dead in the carpets of the living room, he told me some interesting facts I didn't know. They were breeding on my dog, they do this when attached to a host. Where we found one large one not too far from her were typically the males. They were then laying eggs in the carpet...closest thing to blades of grass. They then would die after laying eggs. Had to have an exterminator come and fumigate the house, it was miserable! I will never ever forget the permethrin again!

16. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are nasty lil suckers. I am a natural attractant to mosquito n ticks. Had one on my in the middle of FEB one year when it was 12* out. Some luck. The warmth in the house mustve woke it up.

17. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What a nightmare.... NEVER NEVER forget the good stuff. Lot of guys I know call me a sissy and so on. They can talk all the trash they want. Ive never had lyme disease or an infestation. Some times Ill even add a lil dirt scented OFF spray on my person to add to the permethrin treated clothes and blind. Don't want those lil monsters getting in your gear and going home with you.

18. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    only had one on me last year wasn't on me for only a few hours ill remember to check myself after every time going out

19. demonpep

demonpep Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lone Star Ticks can cause "Alpha-gal Allergy", a bite from them can leave you allergic to red meat..... Being a meat hunter, Id have to call it quits and not being able to enjoy a steak would kill me.

20. MDCII

MDCII Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This year as per my vet we switched to Vectra. I live in the Hudson valley region of NY and believe it or not supposedly the worst region in the country for tick numbers. My dog got line disease last year and that's when he recommended making the switch. Apparently Vectra is considerably stronger than the other top products. It's a bit more expensive but so far this year not one on her. However after doing some shed hunting over the holiday weekend I had at least 40 all over my legs. These things sure are a complete horror.