Arrow Selection

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by brazel_dazel, Jan 31, 2014.

1. brazel_dazel

brazel_dazel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hello,

I am new to the sport. Last fall was my first season bowhunting. I recently bought a used bow package and have been really happy with it so far. I have been doing a lot of back yard practice for now unitlt he weather turns nicer. I am looking ahead to the fall season when I am sure I will have to buy some new arrows and broadheads for hunting. I shoot a Matthews SQ2 28'' draw lenght and I have only been shooting at 55# to get my muscles built up and prevent fatigue so I can sling a lot more arrows practicing. I am wondering how to go about selecting new arrows?

I have read some things that talk about lenght and spine strength. What about fletchings? does it change the arrow if you want to shoot broadheads and field points with the same arrows? Please friends, help educate me! Thank you!

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  3. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same arrows I hunt with at my target. You just need to Always inspect your arrows prior to shooting them. I shoot 100 grain field points at the target and 100 Slick Trick broad heads when hunting. They fly beautifully. Visit a pro shop if you can.
    Blazer vanes work well and I like a right helical.

Stick around and it will all unfold. Good Luck!

4. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! I figured that practicing with quality arrows would only help improve my shot. I will check out the link you posted. Any favorites as far as brand or model of arrows?

5. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Full-Metal Jacket... they hit like a truck (but that's just my humble opinion). There's a ton of good arrows out there.

6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For where your starting with the rig your shooting I would look for a solid medium weight arrows.
    Gold tip hunters or velocity XT come to mind. They are reliable, proven and won't break the bank.

7. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrows are somthing you don't want to get cheep on. Good quality arrows are consistent and consistency = accuracy. Now I'm not saying go out and buy arrows with the biggest price tag. I would go to a pro shop and ask for good quality arrows for your bow. They will help you with the spine and correct inserts you need and set you up with what fletchings you want.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. brazel_dazel

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Guys! I am shooting a shoot through rest currently. However I will be switching to a Whisker Biscuit, for more reliable rest when stalking mule deer in this wide open country. So, I think my fletchings need to be shorter and stiffer, at least that is what I understand from it. Thanks gltomp, and trial153 for the specific arrow recommendations. I have heard of the FMJs before from Easton and I have heard of Gold Tip brand.