Northern Wisconsin... Climber or hang on stand

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by Jhauschultz, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jhauschultz

Jhauschultz Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I new to hunting this year and have been struggling with the purchase of a climber or hang on stand... What do u guys in northern Wisconsin use? I have to hunt public land so I know I can't leave the stand overnight and can't cut trees... I do plan on getting out and scouting but just thought I'd ask opinion of hunters in my area.
    Thanks

2. Public_Land_Beast

Public_Land_Beast Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like the LW Alpha hang on and sticks for public. Very versatile!!

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My preference is a Hang-on with Sticks. You'll be able to hunt out of a wider range of trees. Well over half of the time I hang in trees that you couldn't use a climber on.

4. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I like the hand on and sticks from LoneWolf. They actually attach together nicely and lightweight!

5. Loggyjens74

Loggyjens74 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would use a hang-on stand with climbing sticks. Very safe and versitile... plus you will save about 200 dollars. I had a lone wolf climber and sold it. I have around 10 hang on stands, and I am constantly moving them.

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How are you saving $200 by going with a hangon and sticks vs. a climber?

7. Loggyjens74

Dislikes Received:
    I dont use Lone wolf hang ons... I usually purchase most of my gear in the winter or spring to save. I spend only 50-80 dollars on a stand, and usually put my own hardware in. The climbing sticks I use run about the same. If I remember correctly, the climber I had was around 400plus dollars.

8. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say Hang on I have always hunted private land and used a Climber and now buying a Lone Wolf hang on and Sticks to be more versatile in the woods since im going to be on public land.

9. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also if you plan on sitting long hunts dont buy a cheap hang on I have one that has been in the same tree for 3 years Ive maybe sat in it 5 times because it is extremely uncomfortable.

10. Loggyjens74

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the cheaper the hang-on... the more you lack in features. Weight, seat, strap..ect. If I could afford LW hang ons I would. But I am on a strict budget paying for college and all, so I use brands such as Ameristep and Guide Gear. But if you are going to just going to be purchasing one and using it often, I would suggest something higher quality.

11. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was using a pack n stack ladderstand by rivers edge couldn't get in to a lot of trees and its heavy.fund lonewolf stand on sale this yr and got the sticks to go with it.havn't tried mine yet but used a buddys up north last season on an all day sit.it real nice only thing seat may hurt a little after a while.

12. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What public land? County, State or Federal?

I use hang on stands and have about eight good ones and a few bad ones that I rarely set up. If I had it to do all over I would buy a couple of LW or Muddy sticks instead of having a ladder on each stand. I had a LW climber that was nice and mobile but very uncomfortable. I had a Summit that was great but sold it since it did not break down for carrying. No longer do I use climbers. I also am using ground blinds much more these days. I go out and build them usually in the spring but sometimes in early fall. I use native vegetation for the ground blinds.

On National Forest lands and some County lands the stands can be left up during season. I lock some of mine and some I don't. I mostly hunt USFS lands so most of my stands are there and the two county forest lands I hunt are open to leaving stands up. Just check with those counties to be sure. If you let me know I may be able to tell you each County policy as well.

13. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt NW Wisconsin and have a climber and hang-on's. Your have the same issue with both on public land. Cutting branches/shoot lanes. You have to pick your spots carefully. I have cheaper hang-on's and cheap climbing sticks so they don't pack that well over distance.

If I was starting from scratch with what I know right now I would pony up the money for that new Lone Wolf Alpha Tech ($199) and a set of Lone Wolf climbing sticks... Not sure on the price of those. But as far as light weight and packable I doubt you can beat them. I should say I have never used either myself but have had my eye on them for some time now.

14. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This ^^^

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  15. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hang on. Once you practice a little you can get up and down most any tree somewhat quickly, safely, and efficiently.