Rage Hypodermic

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by ScentLokSoldierUSA, Jan 2, 2014.

1. ScentLokSoldierUSA

ScentLokSoldierUSA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard from a few of my friends now that have been using these as well as my brother that these things are lighting up the sky literally. My brother told me that when he shot his buck last weekend it was like a roman candle went off towards the deer. Anyone else heard of this? Or explain?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have no idea what "lighting up the sky literally" or "like a roman candle" mean as descriptive terms as they relate to broadhead performance; but I can tell you that after having one blade snap in two inside my buck after hitting no bone, I won't be using them next year on anything heavier than a turkey. Check around on the net, but there are lots of pics of the blades snapping. Too bad, because I really like the ferrule and chisel point. The blades are crap though. Not sure if it's bad QC on the steel, or just too steep of a blade angle for a 2" blade, or what. All I know (first hand as well as other sources) is they snap.

3. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's the stink coming off the head leaving a vapor trail.

Those heads suck.........and I have shot and supported Rage for the last 3 years. They really put out a garbage head with the Hypodermic. Blades suck, and stupid cheap plastic collar blade holder sucked too.

Tossed mine in the trash where they belong and bought some NAP Killzones which are awesome.

Guess Rage made so much money they stopped caring.

4. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Blades break way too easy for me...I like the design if they would make a strong blade.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    same here...

DSC02331.jpg

6. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

The original blades that came on them suck. I'll give you that one. I talked to a Rep from Rage about the blade problem. He said they have changed the process the blades are made and that should take care of the problem. They were made using a laser cutting process at first, but now are stamped. I bought a set of replacement blades and they are twice as thick as the originals. I've only shot one deer with them since, but the blades look brand new. Can't even tell they've been shot. Might be worth investing in a set of new blades before throwing them away.
    Might be worth checking, as I did, and trying what is recommended before totally bashing a product. It was first year for them, and like a lot of products, there was a bug. At least they took the time to investigate and improve. Some companies would have let it go.

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for posting that. That's the first I heard they had re-designed the blades. Good to know.

Having said that, however; after spending $80 on 6 heads, I shouldn't (and neither should you or anyone) have to buy a set of replacement blades. They should offer them for free. (or get it right the first time!) As much as they were hyped you would think they would be busting their butts to save their reputation. One season's worth of bad press on an initial product launch year can DOOM a company, even one as established as Rage. They had enough detractors as it was. You can debate head design all day long, but pictures of bloody steel blades snapped in two are pretty definitive and not really open for debate.

On a side note, I actually liked the shock collar design (for the most part.) I did screw one in too hard and it crushed, but that was contributed to by just a bit of carelessness on my part. They might be better served by making the collars out of silicone, as the plastic collar gets hard and brittle when cold. Feel free to steal that idea, Rage.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  8. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree on not having to buy replacement blades. I had shot two deer with them alrrady and broke the blades. When I got new ones I changed all three heads. Just three away the unused originals. Costly, but much better now

sent from old school can and string

9. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have never had the problem you described and I used them all season long. They performed pretty good for me. I had a pass thru on 2 deer. On one the blades were not affected and the other one had one damaged blade. Good to know that they corrected the problem and made thicker blades. I love the design of them and they fly like a dart.

10. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pack of the Hypodermics...I like the way they look. I haven't hunted with them. A hunting buddy of mine shot a doe this year with them. Complete pass through and both blades broke right where they make contact on the head after opening. They are really thin in that area.

11. HardwoodsHunter

HardwoodsHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed two deer using the Hypodermics and they did great no breaking! I just washed them off with hot water and back in the quiver they went.

12. tlrfshr

tlrfshr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The local processor says he hates them. He has found the blades broken off in the deer and found pieces of blades (From getting wounded) in deer that other people have shot. I'm gonna say that I believe I'll stay away from them.

13. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do they not test their own products? Surely this would have shown up in their testing instead of making hunters figure it out for them. Seems to me they ought to replace the blades for free upon receiving your blades in the mail, damaged or new.

14. Bootlegger

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure...I would assume they do. I will see if I can find the pic I took of the head my shot. They Broke in the place where the blade makes contact with the head when fully opened. He was shooting a Mathews Heli-m at 65lbs. The arrow weighs around 430gr. After I got to looking at the pack I bought it does look like there is enough blade there. I'm pretty sure the broke off on impact too. The exit hole was the size after they broke. I don't have anything against them...just not going to use them. I've seen a lot of deer killed with them with some nasty blood trails..seen a lot of blades break off as well. I'm glad there working great for some hunters on here. I say use what you like and works for you. For me it's Swhackers.

15. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really like mine I have liked 2 does and I replaced my blades after both kills because I could see little chips in the blades but I had pass threw on both deer and one huge entry and exit holes. The second had good entry but the exit hole was very small where it went the the shoulder. Never did find that arrow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk