Squirrels......damn squirrels

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WhiteBrow24, Dec 1, 2013.

1. WhiteBrow24

WhiteBrow24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Being as this is really my first year doing this, I'm having a real hard time distinguishing the noise (crunching sounds that also sound like a deer). Any tips, aside from bringing a pellet gun or extra arrows with to pick them off haha.

I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  2. Legion_Edge

Legion_Edge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    move slowly and check it out anyways lol. Gota love the squirrels. But on a serious not I look anyways just not to fast because sometimes it has been deer.

3. bgusty

bgusty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The squirrels always get ya. On the bright side they add some extra excitement to your hunt and keep you awake and alert.

4. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like having the squirrels around, they can't help but bust a buck you haven't seen yet by barking up a storm. Use them to your advantage.

5. celticwolf210

celticwolf210 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    some times they are annoying as hell but they do make for an active hunt. I always look to make sure it's a squirrel or chipmunk that's making the noise. Last year I heard a noise off to my left, when I looked it was 2 squirrels playing. They got quiet for about 20 mins then started up again. This time when I looked back to check on them, there was a fat doe right beside them. I got her. So I always check to see whats making the noise. It may turn out good.

6. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have started carrying an extra arrow with a target head for squirrels. I love the taste of squirrel so why not bring some home.

7. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Be careful doing that, dont know about WI, but in Illinois it is illegal to possess a field point while hunting. It must be a broadhead, blunt, or small game tip.

I used to carry a Judo small game tip for squirrels, but dont anymore. I keep an extra old broadhead (killzone) in my quiver in case of coyotes or raccoons, but a squirrel isnt worth a $30 Torch arrow and Hypodermic. If i had an issue with them, id carry a slingshot and some ball bearings or marbles. With some practice i used to be deadly on black birds and sparrows, and they are really quiet if its a good one. Small light weight and portable. And ball bearings are much cheaper than an arrow

8. jpb813

jpb813 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ^great call on the slingshot, I went through a phase about a year ago when I was really into slingshots. If you want advice on setting up a really killer rig, send me a PM. I was making slingshots that would put a 1/2" ball bearing straight through half-inch pressboard or 1/4" plywood, like it wasn't even there.

On the topic of squirrels... I slept through my alarm this morning and am going to head to my stand late, but the deer around here hardly ever move after 8:30 or so. Probably gonna knock some squirrels instead

9. semper

semper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info man I never even thought about that.

10. WhiteBrow24

WhiteBrow24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like this sling shot idea. I think I am going to look into this... make my hunt more exciting anyways. However, I never did think to use them to my advantage when they start screaming.

11. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am pretty sure that you can't use field points in Wisconsin but double check. I usually have a smaller broadhead with me for that reason but I don't eat squirrels so I am not going to shoot one.

12. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    squirrels give me a wake up call when im half asleep at 6:30 in the morning. but i noticed that squirrels are more noisy than deer.

13. AshAid

AshAid Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had so many times that I have been fooled into believing a Squirrel was a Deer and vise versa... In fact just happened to me several weeks ago where a nice Buck came passing thru behind me and I just assumed it was a squirrel until it got right up on me!!!!!

I actually enjoy seeing them while out in the woods, makes for some otherwise long days go by faster when seeing no action Deer wise

< Ps 46: 1 >

14. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There's definitely a different sound. Squirrels rustle... deer have a purposeful pattern to the sound they make walking. IDK... It is usually easy to detect the difference. Deer also go from a really quiet sound in the distance to a louder closer sound rather quickly as they approach. Besides squirrels almost always warn me of a deer's approach... don't shoot your albatross.

15. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Now he'll SHUT-UP!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  16. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just rescently shot a squirrel while deer hunting. When the broadhead went through it was pretty much chopped iN half. It made a good dinner too. Love the picks. Lol

17. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Put a wing nut on instead of a broadhead. It's old school but works like a CHAMP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. DJTBC Bowhunter

DJTBC Bowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    have them tell you where the deer are.
    always bring a sack of peanuts to the stand and you'll get somewhere with them.

19. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ill have to bring a couple of extra arrows with them on it next time I go out.