what do you reccomend for a new hunting bow for a 13 year old

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Jhaehnel17, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Jhaehnel17

Jhaehnel17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am wanting to get a deer hunting bow for my 13 year old son what do you recommend

2. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Craze! Excellent quality and fully adjustable. Make a excellent bow for the growing teenager! In the event he doesn't keep interest it will make one dandy backup bow!

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Mission Craze for my son an when my daughter wants to bow hunt I will get her one too.

4. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Craze no doubt.

5. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah definitely check out the Mission lineup. They make great bows

6. Tj Brubaker

Tj Brubaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    or the diamond razors edge or infinity edge but the mission lineup has some good bows

7. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Craze is a great bow... But if he is already 13 I would lean more towards the Mission Riot. The riser is considerably longer so it's going to grow with him better (IMO) than some of the youth/adult adjustable bows (like the Craze or Ruckus for example) and it's still as adjustable as the Craze... In another year or two, I think you would be really glad you went with the little bit bigger bow.....

8. Kruser

Kruser Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Can't go wrong with the Mission Craze. I bought my wife one as this is her first year bow hunting and she loves it. I shoot it now and then too. Very nice bow. My buddy owns the archery shop in town and he can't keep them on the shelve!

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Riot is a great bow as well. Take your kid in and have him shoot both. To me I couldn't justify the extra $100 price tag on the Riot. Granted it comes with a string stop but you can add that to the Craze for $45. That and I didn't want my kid shooting a bow with a longer (1") ATA then mine. The Craze is not a kids / woman's bow. Lots of full size (6' 2" 220 Lbs 30 inch draw guys) are shooting it. Little bit easier for the youngster to handle... Especially in a blind. That and I don't plan or want my kid taking anything over a 30 yard shot. That short ATA sure won't make a difference at those ranges.

10. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My son has moved up into my old Mathews Legacy coming from a Parker bow off the shelf from Cabellas and daughter shoots a diamond..think this is a bow tech.

They were good starters but if he is really getting into it the mission mentioned above would be this current seasons choice. Best a luck!

11. Worzeth

Worzeth Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya, Mission Craze for sure.. if he is big for his age you might be able to get him the Mission Riot. That bow will grow with him a little longer.

12. bowhunter1066

bowhunter1066 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would highly recommend a Hoyt Ruckus! My son is 10 years old and he currently is shooting it at 38 lbs and can shoot that bow great! I have attached a link of the video of him shooting his first deer with that bow this past October, and him and the bow did great! The bow draws really smooth and is easy for him to hold if he has to, and is really accurate. Great youth bow!!!

Redemption on Vimeo

13. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mission Craze or Diamond Infinite Edge

14. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My Girlfriend has one set at 45lbs her oldest son has one set at 50lbs and youngest son has one set at 42lbs all have taken deer with thier bows and all of them shoot great groupings out to 30yards

Dan

15. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^what he said^

16. JasonShootsHoyt

JasonShootsHoyt Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just pulled the trigger on not 1 but 2 Mission Craze tonight. Took the kids, 9 and 11 up to the local shop here in Huntsville and they are hooked. They shot it for 30 mins apiece with only a whisker biscuit and did pretty dang well for no sites. Picking them up next Wednesday fully loaded for them. They are super pumped. We have been looking for a few weeks now at different ones and the Craze was the best we could find for their fit and needs. Will completely grow with them.

17. bburen

bburen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    just bought my nephew a diamond infinite edge for christmas. I set it up to my draw length to shoot it and am very pleased with it. Smooth draw, very little hand shock, back wall is a little spongy but over all very happy. It should last him years and years, and my brother can do all adjustments easily without a press

18. Nickstuff

Nickstuff Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to say congrats to you and your new "lifelong" hunting partner. I must say, that is some of the best filming, editing I've seen in quite a while, and the resolution in that footage is amazing. Good job, looks like youve got an awesome little hunter there,....

Ok, back on topic,...:tu:

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the new Hoyt Ignite. It is brand new to their lineup. Totally adjustable. I just bought this bow for my 10 year old daughter. 8" brace height should make it very forgiving. $299 bare bow, so very competitive on price too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  20. bowhunter1066

bowhunter1066 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Nickstuff! I didn't want to try and hijack the thread either, but figured seeing it actually in action on a deer at 20 yards set at 38 lbs could really make the decision a little easier. My son loves his bow and cant wait for spring turkey season now in April. Thanks again for the great comment and you honestly cant go wrong with a Ruckus!

Shane