Do deer move deeper into the woods during the rut?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Praetorian27, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Praetorian27

Praetorian27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the noob question, but it is only my second year hunting. During the rut, do the deer move deeper into the woods, away from distraction etc? The stand where I got my doe on Oct. 2nd, there is a nice funnel of three paths and two big apple trees. It is only about 200 yards from some houses and a road. Last season and this season, there were TONS of deer around the apple trees in October. Then, when the rut comes along, it is like the deer have gone to another planet. Nothing...not a doe, fawn...nada! I spent the last two days in different stands around that property and have seen squat! Is this normal?

2. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know from experience with Apple trees that there food source has changed. For next season I suggest keeping some apples inside and slowly putting them back so they dont go bad. The longer they have fresh apples the longer they will keep moving that way just what I see where I hunt. I have few does still hitting the apples that are rotten on the ground but nothin like prior early oct

3. Praetorian27

Dislikes Received:
    Never thought of that. The apples still on the tree are pretty nasty looking. Problem is, it is illegal to put apples down for the deer to eat here in NYistan. Everything's illegal here! Wonder where they are eating now?

4. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you hunt over the apple trees? If not then I wouldnt worry about the fact of putting back what you pick up and temp control. Im not saying go buy apples all the time and keep them there but if you dispose of unused apples out there whos gonna know? For where they are feeding now you really have to look at whats around you. I started planting a fall food plot last year to keep them moving where I am at. I just use the Hartland Throw and grow.

5. Praetorian27

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, the stand is right by the apple trees. Think that stand is busted now for the rest of the season?

6. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would say move closer to a bedding area and catch them moving to and from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good question. This time of year in your area its a sound strategy to move back off food sources and start hunting major travel routes. Near the Albany area they may not look like your typical farm land bottle neck. Look for saddles in ridges , or low ridges that run though bigger blocks of timber ect. Also start looking to key in on doe bedding areas and hunt adjacent to them to catch cruising bucks scent checking for does. Your typical food sources right now will be still used by groups of this years fawn and young yearlings that haven't come in season yet....not the best place to find bucks looking for hot does. Good observations. Hope this helps.

8. Praetorian27

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the advice! Any tips on finding doe bedding areas?

Here are some map shots of the stands I am using. The first picture that is behind the house is the apple tree stand that seems to be a bust now. The second map shows a stand that is across the road and to the south. It is about a 15 minute walk in from the road. I know it's really tough to tell...but does anything stand out to you guys?

Attached Files:

9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Pm me the location on G earth so I can take a look at an pan the elevations ect and I will try to take a stab at stand locations.

10. Praetorian27

Dislikes Received:
    Sent you a PM...had to send you the long and latitude. Don't know how to send it any other way!

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The is just a stab in dark, and you would have to do a little foot work to see if any of this could pan out...but i will give you an idea and starting point. Number 1.jpg

12. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    the south.

number 2.jpg

13. Praetorian27

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks...I'll check those areas out!