Need some help on an offered deal

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by SLINGnMISS, Nov 2, 2013.

1. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, I got offered what I think is a hell of a deal. While I was on a bow camp trip I got to talking to one of my father in laws long time friends (35+ years) and I mentioned that I was interested in getting a recurve bow. He said that he had an old Jim Brakenbury Custom bow that he could no longer shoot. He said the draw weight is just to much for him. He offered to sell me the bow for $175 plus and extra set of limbs. The next morning while we were drinking coffee after the morning hunt he offered it to me for $100. The weight is 70 lbs at 28in and the extra set of limbs is 65 lbs at 28 in. I have a 30 in draw and no clue about recurves. Is this one of those once in a lifetime deals or is it something that is just too good to be true. He takes immaculate care of all his other bows so I no reason to think that it's in rough shape. He's bringing the bow to our thanksgiving hunt for me to try. Should I be optimistic or should I be skeptical?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

2. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Seems fair, he may need the cash. Try it out.

3. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's a great deal... but it's also alot of poundage. Your draw length will usually be shorter with a recurve than a compound.

I'd have him string it up so you can shoot it a few times. That's probably the best way to find out if you can shoot it without struggling with the poundage.

4. SLINGnMISS

SLINGnMISS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's definitely not a cash flow issue as he said I can get the bow when we get together next time and pay him whenever.

Well I shot a 80lbs bow for years and now I shoot a 70lbs bow. It's a compound so I'm not sure how it compares. I will be shooting it soon to test, I just want to know wether or not I should get excited.

5. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am always excited!!! Just finished another round practice shooting. It really depends on you brother, taking game with that would put you on a whole different level. Personally not for me.

6. JimPic

JimPic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Brack's are great shooting bows...Jim built some of the best. He's been gone since '91 but his bows are still very much in demand. It's a great deal but they are some real heavy weight limbs. You might lose an inch of draw going to the recurve but even at 29" you'll be pulling about 73# and 68#....that's like 3x more weight than what you're holding on your compound. But it's still a great deal and I wouldn't pass it up...I would just post the limbs for sale or trade on tradgang.com or stickbow.com for something more reasonable to shoot.They're still being made made by Bill Howland and there's about a 2yr wait to have one made. Here's a link to Brackenbury's website:

http://www.brackenburybows.com/

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  7. WildmanSC

WildmanSC Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest you start at 50# at your draw length. You might be able to work up to the heavier limbs, but there's really no need to shoot that heavy a bow for deer sized game. It's a GREAT price for an original Jim Brackenbury bow, if you got it with two sets of limbs for $500.

Bill

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its a steel, give him the 100 and dont look back..

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This!!!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

10. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    2X
    The bow is too heavy to learn on. I would go on TradGang.com or the Bowsites Leatherwall and try to trade for some 40-45 lbs limbs or sell the limbs and buy new ones.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps