good deal?

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by TheHardWoods913, Oct 31, 2013.

1. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking to see what is out there for my first camera set up so I can finally start filming my hunts the way I have always wanted to... with greater quality. I have been using POV action cameras and I just want to take that next step. I have found a package on CampbellCameras.com that has gotten my attention, the Sony HDR-CX380 Whitetail Package. Wanted to know what others thought in terms of how good of a deal it is and if it is worth it? I know its one of the lower priced packages, but I def do not want to spend 3-4K just yet on a camera setup as I will be new to filming all of my different hunts and experiences. I want to at least start having good outcomes by producing some good quality hunts and footage. Thanks for the input in advance guys, much appreciated!

Heres the link to the Whitetail Package I am interested in getting:

Sony HDR-CX380 Whitetail Package

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I would take the time to price it out separately too. Campbell's is nice because you can see everything that you need but they are priced a bit high. Might want to consider used too if you want to get a camera a bit higher quality. I know I have seen a few listed in the classifieds forum section in the past few weeks.

3. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I was thinking that also. Thanks def will look around and price things out separately and see whats the best decision. Campbell's has a good name and it just seemed so easy since it came in a package and seemed like some good quality stuff. I have seen the camera by itself for roughly 500 new so far in my search.

4. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I use Campbells as a reference to cameras and gear out there but I look through what they kit up and cut and change some things. Doing a little bit of homework can save you a few bucks in the long run.

5. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Campbells is a great starting place but you pay for the convenience of their packages they offer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

6. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would say 95% of the hunting gear I buy comes from Amazon. That goes the same for all my camera gear I bought this year for filming hunts. Also if you're an Amazon Prime member you get free 2 day shipping on everything that also makes for a sweet deal. They will always the lowest prices on the web. So lets add up the cost from Amazon.

Sony HDR-CX380 - $369.00

Tamrac 5546 Adventure 6 Photo Backpack - $72.95

3rd Arm Bandit Tree Arm - $149.00

Azden High-performance (SMX-10) Stereo Condenser Microphone - $79.95

SanDisk Extreme 32 GB SDHC Class 10 - $30.19

Total Cost from Amazon = $701.00

As you can see the cost for the main pieces of that package from Amazon comes out to be right around $700 minus some of the small accessories but still that won't add up to the $871 cost from Campbell Cameras.

It's nice to look at the packages to see what all you would need but I end up going the Amazon route and it's been nothing but good results and best prices for me!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Great advice!!

8. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This pretty much sums it up, I would also look at used on eBay. You can get a borderline professional level camera for around 500 bucks used. I would look into the Canon vixia line more so the g-series or s-series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly what I did, I saved quite a bit of coin shopping around. Campbells is very reputable but like said, kinda pricy! that's not a bad kit for a starter setup though!

10. TheHardWoods913

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! Thanks a lot guys for your advice and input, I really appreciate it. Amazon and ebay is probably the best bet I see while using Campbell's as an outline. After all, every dollar saved counts in my book lol

11. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just be careful when buying the actual camera. If the deal looks to good to be true then it is to good to be true. I got burnt on a camera on ebay years ago and also on an online camera store. In both cases it took months of back and forth with Ebay, PayPal, and my credit card company to get my money back. If you are buying a new camera, I'd strongly advise sticking with places like B&H Photo Video or Adorama ... possibly Amazon depending on who the actual seller is. Used camera equipment I'd look to buy on ebay from an individual (not a re-sell company) who has a strong feedback rating. Used can be a great deal, but it is also a gamble.

All of the accessories you should be pretty safe buying from Amazon or Ebay.