Advise about My Setup and Shot

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mkwa Hunter, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Mkwa Hunter

Mkwa Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been more and more inconsistent with my shots and can't get a good 2 inch grouping at 20 yds. Attached are three self videos with the photo results after. Any constructive critique would be much appreciated. I am aiming for the second white square from the top right.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iDen

2. Mkwa Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have the video but don't know how to add via taptalk

Sent from my iDen

3. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is this a new issue? Unless something on your setup changed, sounds like target panic. Don't try to force the pin to be rock solid and not move at all. Instead let it just slightly hover around your aiming spot. Squeeze the release, don't jerk it or punch it.

4. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the only thing I can think about if you're shooting like that is target panic especially at 20 yards.

It can't be your sight being off as it would consistently group elsewhere, bow being out of tune I dont think would have results like that either.

Maybe changing anchor point?

5. Mkwa Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here are the videos
    [video=youtube_share;Rjvx5naFinQ]http://youtu.be/Rjvx5naFinQ[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;wiQHoM8e3KY]http://youtu.be/wiQHoM8e3KY[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;bjQAOakTvQA]http://youtu.be/bjQAOakTvQA[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;QiUZM3tBuuI]http://youtu.be/QiUZM3tBuuI[/video]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First of all - I'm not an archery instructor... now with that said, to me your bow seems to be a good poundage for you as you are not straining to draw it. Your form appears to be solid, consistent and relaxed. The only thing I saw was on your Bow Shot #2 video (ref: 3rd arrow)... you appeared to flinch before releasing.

Flinching is anxiety [panic] and below are a couple of articles relating to that phenomenon...

TARGET PANIC

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/olympics/01archery.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

7. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone else think the anchor point is too far back. Perhaps string creep has pushed your anchor point too far back. You definitely gripping the bow at release. Let the bow fall away and be caught by the sling and see if your groups tighten up.

8. Mkwa Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great advise so far. Thanks a lot.

Sent from my iDen

9. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In the vid, you are using fixed blade broadheads, which aren't as accurate as mechanicals. Second, your arrows are too long. Third, your grip is not the best. Your flaring your fingers out, then when you shoot, you close em'. That creates a jerk in your shot. What I do is have the grip between my thumb and pointer finger of course, then I curl my pointer finger, middle finger, then the other two fingers, like so in the pic. image.jpg . Fourth, on your anchor point, let the string come to your cheek. A kisser button is a wonderful thing to have too. Fifth, your ring on the sight or glow ring should be inside your peep sight. If you can't for some reason, then put the pin in the middle of it. This makes it so your not torquing your bow string. Sixth, don't think to hard about the shot. That just puts pressure and stress on you went you don't need it. This is a lot of stuff to remember probably, but to me, I just pick up my bow, and I do all of these things. It becomes a habit when you do it for such a long time, that you dont even have to think about it. With all this said, you should be a good archer in 3d and in the woods in no time at all.

10. Jtmoney2002

Jtmoney2002 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking the same thing, The draw might be a little long and a kisser button would be beneficial since you probably not getting a consistent anchor point.Your arm looks a little to far extended which might be because of the draw being a little long. You should be able to draw you bow back and just lean your head right into the bow without forcing your head behind the bow so much and pushing your arm out. And changing to field points might be something to try to get a little more accuracy. But your release looks pretty good to me.

11. Mkwa Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Thanks you guys for giving some good things to put in practice. This is my second season and I want to have a great season with a buck down.

I really appreciate you taking the time to critique. I'll let you know how I'm doin!!!

Sent from my iDen

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is much going on here.

The best free advice I have found is on youtube in the performance archery series by Allistair Whittingham.

I rarely tell people their draw is too long but in this case, I think it might be.

Watch the videos, especially those on draw length and posture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

13. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wrong. A properly tuned bow and correct arrow setup will shoot both accurately. There is no doubt about it.

Agreed.

Yes, the anchor looks too far back. OP, on the second video your first and second shots are anchored differently. On the second shot you're actually tilting your head to find an anchor point. Shorten your draw length by and inch and then when you pull back you'll feel the difference. If an inch is too much then add a half an inch.

You shouldn't be searching for an anchor at full draw - which is what you're doing in those two shots (moving your release hand around and tilting your head).

Also, a word of advice - STOP PULLING WITH YOUR FINGER IN FRONT OF THE TRIGGER :poke: I speak from experience, it is only a matter of time - you WILL accidentally hit the trigger while drawing. That could mean a lost arrow or a wounded deer because there's no telling where that arrow will go when fired prematurely. Make sure that finger is behind the trigger, then get in the habit of only putting it on the trigger when fully anchored.

14. Mkwa Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to take this time and thank all of you who took the time to watch my videos and provide great comments and coaching. I am becoming better for it. Thanks a lot!!!

15. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It doesn't look all that bad. Like people said work on your anchor point- just draw the string to the corner of your mouth and then touch your nose to the string. This is what I do at least..

16. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know I'm late to the party, but I feel the biggest issue has to be grip. Work on a more relaxed grip and that alone should help tighten up your groupings.

17. Schuls

Schuls Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The one thing I'm noticing is your anchor point is not consistent. Put that string right on the tip of your nose everytime you draw. I saw on some draws it was beside your nose, some at the tip, then back to the side again. The kisser button can help with that, to ensure you are anchoring the same point everytime.

18. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in agreement with inconsistant anchor point. In the third video you can see the top of your ear first shot a little less second shot and almost none on the last shot. Very small difference but it is different maybe tilting your head a little more on each shot

Sorry last video not third

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  19. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two words. Kisser button. I was having trouble at long distances 50+, so I got a kisser button and that helped me a great deal. Now I never have to think about my anchor point. Probably if you took it off I'd still have muscle memory on how my bow should feel on my body, but it definitely helped me correct my problem fast.

20. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as draw length goes...if you don't already know make sure you measure from finger tip to finger tip and divide by 2.5 this will give you the proper draw length your bow needs to be set at...