Mechanical broad heads & trad bows

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by FOXFIRE, Sep 2, 2013.

1. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone shoot a mechanical head from ther recurve or long bow ??

Just curious.

2. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would ABSOLUTELY not! You might his 200fps...maybe. More like 160-180. And somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35ft/lbs. of energ

3. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with backcountry. Also, most serious trad shooters shoot heavy arrows with even heavier heads ( when I was shooting trad I shot at least 175g) to get FOC up high to aid in penetration. I'm unaware of any mech head over 125, and IMHO even if one could be found, it's a horrible idea

Team Red Sun Rising

4. FOXFIRE

FOXFIRE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Loud & clear on the negative, never heard of it myself but was just curious, I've always been a fan of the fixed blades but have been/am curious about the mechanicals, even with my copmpound fixed blades have worked & flew very well & its hard for me to want to try something different, if it aint borke dont fix it.

Question answered, thanks gents.

5. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's bad enough that compound shooters use them in my opinion. It is definitely a big no for trad shooters.

6. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a video a guy used a rage broadhead and a recurve. Bad penetration although it was a perfect shot.

7. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would not hesitate to use a smaller mech like a rocket steelhead. Having said that if it where me I would prob use a Rocket Ultimate steel or other quality fixed wing.

8. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Stay away from them; nothing but trouble for a traditional bow. Scarey cut on contact heads the way to go.

9. Magicman

Magicman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use them but I have several friends that shoot the rage 40 KE's from their trad bow and they like them

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not with toy bows. IMO

11. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Toy bows? Care to explain that statement?

12. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I've just got an attitude about tradition bows and hunting. I've seen to many of my buddy's and TV celebrities wound animals with recurves and D bows and try to say that's hunting. I think its BS, most hunters can't spend the time practicing with these bows to shoot worth a dam with them and they chock it up as " it's more of a challenge" I guess:-/

I know this is going to set many people off but I had to get it off my chest. Don't get me wrong. I love these trad bows and own 4 myself but I would never hunt with one and most people I see out there can't hunt with them either.

Fred Echler is fantastic and I love his show and he's one of the best and with a compound bow he's deadly but even he sucks at shoot game with a trad bow and even puts it on the air as just another bad shot:(

I just think they should be used for fun or teaching archery to kids. To hunt real game with these things just tells me your all about the challenge and if a few animals die in the woods while you practice, oh well.

Plus the fact that they lobby to keep us from using lighted nock or peeps because it takes from their tradition really pisses me off.

But I'm seeking therapy for it:)

13. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Eichler has taken the Super Slam with his trad bow and still shot better throughout the feat than Tom Miranda did with his compound. It can work both ways. I see what your saying, but I think it's very narrow minded to call a trad bow a toy. Hell, historically speaking it is off the mark to NOT shoot trad.

A traditional kill is very high on my list of things to do.

14. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:
    I love trad bows but I have friends that after years of rifles and compound bows are now big time trad only and it unusual for them to find a animal they shot. I won't even let them hunt my lease.

People love to talk about the Indians hunting with them for hundred of years but even they traded up to rifles when a better technology came along.

There just not for me when it come to hunting but then I've only been hunting for less than 5 years. Maybe someday I'll need more of a challenge.

Ps. Tom Miranda takes some really bad shots with his compound also.

15. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough.

16. bghunter777

bghunter777 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Traditional bows have killed more animals than compounds throughout history! I shoot a compound but agree with others to say they are toys and not worthy is narrow minded.

17. trkytrack2

trkytrack2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You need more than therapy.

18. victoryhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Certainly not a toy but I would agree that it requires a great deal more dedication and practice than a compound. As for people wounding game and not recovering it, that has nothing to do with the bow only the person shooting it. I know of guys that do that same with guns and compounds. It takes to discipline to hunt ethically with any weapon. Also as for people lobbying against electronics on bows it has nothing to do with the traditional community though there are those elitist types that feel they are better or deserve special treatment, the same is true with any other group of hunters though. I do happen to agree with the rules against it though at least as far as record keeping goes but that is another story. If you need that all that stuff you might as well just shoot a gun. If the "bow" does it for you where is the challenge and thrill? Just so you know traditional archery paved the way for everything you know about hunting. It is also the fastest growing group of all the hunting disciplines today.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  19. Backcountry

Dislikes Received:
    In MT, lobbying against electronics and bowhunting has EVERYTHING to do with the traditionalists. They are worse than fly fishing elitists.

20. victoryhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I really hate that. I agree with you on the issue of the elitist crowd, like I said each group has them and try to make it hard and impose their will on all the others. It is unfortunate that hunters can't just live and let live.