decoys in the timber.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Whitetail_Widowmaker, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now I know people have wonderful success with decoys in open fields to where the deer can see them from a distance and come in. Now, in georgia I primarily hunt in thick timber and obviously there is a slight obscurity problem with trees. So my question is it worth going out and buying a decoy hunting in the thick timber?

2. AUbowhunter

AUbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't think so. I haven't used decoys for deer but I have for turkeys. When you are in the open a decoy is good cause it gives a visual to the sound. Whether that be grunt, rattle or hen yelps. I don't use a decoy in thick cover cause I want the animal to come searching for the source. To a Tom or buck the sound is around the next tree so they come looking. If there is a decoy, the buck might see it from the ground out of bow range or at an angle you can't shoot the hang up or get skittish before you can get a shot. Without a decoy he might come walking right to your tree looking past you for the sound.
    Good luck.

3. Whitetail_Widowmaker

Whitetail_Widowmaker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hrm never thought of it quite like that. Thank you for the feedback.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have used them in the timber and in the open. I will not use a decoy in thick timber again. The deer seemed very shy and spooky from it when they could not see it until they were close. I killed a good buck last year over a decoy that came marching to it from across the field. In my opinion, they work best in the open where a deer can see it and study it from a distance.

5. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont do it but seen it done and work well for some

6. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wouldn't use one in the timber. AU hit the nail on the head.

7. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I was hunting a mature buck I must defineitly would. I've grunted bucks in only to have them stop and scan for the deer that made the noise and then when they didn't see it they would walk away. I guess it depends on the situation.

8. short69

short69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shot both of my deer last year using a decoy in the timber. Both were preoccupied with the decoy and didnt know I was there until they felt the sting of my Killzone.

9. Dunn County

Dunn County Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My experiences have me torn and I think it has less to do with the location and more to simply do with the fact of using a decoy. Some situations they work and in others the deer shy away. I think it overall has more to do with the timing and the deers personality.

10. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The thick timber is going to make it hard but not impossible. Its going to be a little harder for them to see it and for you to get a shot...but its possible. Just know how to place the decoy in the correct position.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My first archery kill was over a decoy, just inside the timber. It wasn't extremely thick, but certainly not in an open field. I also believe timing has more to do with your success rate. They work great just ahead of the rut, or during the rut. Presentation also plays a big roll as well. A mature buck will approach the decoy and generally display dominance, a younger buck will generally be curious but tends to keep his distance. They also don't always approach the decoy the same way. I had my decoy set out w. the antlers on and I spotted a buck on the neighbors, close to the fence line. I gave a couple grunts, and the buck came down the fence line, jumped the fence(all before seeing the decoy), he was walking perpendicular to the decoy. Once he spotted it, he stiffened up a bit, walked heavy, but approached from the rear. I put an arrow in the boiler room about the time the buck was raising up to mount the decoy from the back end. Either my buck was gay, or he didn't notice the antlers :dan: Either way, that setup worked for me and I'm pretty sure I would have never gotten a shot on that buck if I didn't have the decoy there to hold him.