New to Deer Hunting -- What to do with the deer?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by bow_hunter_noob, Aug 15, 2013.

1. bow_hunter_noob

bow_hunter_noob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This probably seems like the most stuipid question posted on this entire forum, but I am new to deer hunting. I'm still in highschool and my parents don't hunt so taking the deer back home to clean and skin is pretty unlikely. I live in MA, and was just wondering what other options I have after I bag a deer.

If possible, can we keep the mockery at bay. THANKS!

2. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Most meat processing place have a service for processing deer. Try that.

3. woodsy211

woodsy211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just bring it to a butcher after u field dress it and get it out of the woods

4. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    All good advice and welcome to the exciting sport of bowhunting. To avoid alot of trial and error and boost your chances, You should consider finding an experienced hunting buddy. This is especially important with regard to treestand safety. check out youtube to expand your knowledge field dressing and stand placement.

5. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! You can take it to a butcher shop.

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Where in MA are you from? are you hunting private land or state land? as soon as I know where in MA, I'll point you in the right direction. I live in RI. but have hunted both MA and CT.

7. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you plan on keeping the meat?!

8. bow_hunter_noob

bow_hunter_noob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I live in the metro-west area. Im surrounded by plenty of conservation land combined with public hunting grounds.

9. ZGhunter

ZGhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The best thing to do is take the deer to a local meat processor (if you can't clean it), but make sure they're sanitary before you take it, it's aroun $80 for a deer in SC. if you can find a friend or something as stated I'm. Still in hs and. I had the exact problem you do my mother is extremely against hunting and my dad could care less haha but we have a family friend that hunts on family farmland and I started hunting with him. So good luck this season!!

10. bow_hunter_noob

bow_hunter_noob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dressing, cleaning, skinning, tanning etc. are things I know how to do and are an option, but they take a lot more work and the folks might be against all of that. That being said I live on a property with plenty of woods, so it could be an option.

11. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm...never hunted near metro west. I know there's a processor in the Framingham area. do you drive/have a car?

12. bow_hunter_noob

bow_hunter_noob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes sir I do. What was the meet processor in Framingham? Framingham is pretty close by.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  13. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    ugg...just called to check, the place is shut down. do you have a local gunshop or archery shop? they will know of a place. There's always a bulletin board in those places with processors and taxidermists. sorry I couldn't be much more of a help with that.

14. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kill the deer, track the deer, gut the deer, drag deer, throw said deer in the back of car/truck, take to processor, and deff get some bologna ! If its hot out do it faster !

If I get it processed ill cut out the tender loins in the field so I can enjoy them sooner. Maybe the straps to.

15. bow_hunter_noob

bow_hunter_noob Newb

Dislikes Received:
  16. CFStinger

CFStinger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, must be tough as heck hunting in Megalopolis... Here in mid-west, we have meat lockers all over the place. Killing 'em is easy, dealing with 'em is even easier!!!

17. Drop_Tine5214

Drop_Tine5214 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You may also have the option to donate the meat as well. I usually shoot one or two for enough meat to last me the whole year. After that if I still have the itch to go out, I will shoot another one and donate it. In my state, it is called the HUSH program (Help Us Stop Hunger.) You can just dress the deer out and drop it off at a meat locker, free of charge of course. I think most states have a program like this. It allows me to keep hunting while donating to a good cause.

18. Palma

Palma Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't plan on eating it, donate it to a food bank, Hunters Feeding the Hungry, or similar program.

19. illinoishunter13

illinoishunter13 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    look at field dressing videos on youtube and if you do kill one be sure to let it lay for a while so it don't get back up

20. jlbmarine

jlbmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to "mock you" but You said you were "new to deer hunting, yet you know how to dress, skin, tan, etc..." deer aren't rabbits and squirrel brother........ take some game bags with you, and a knife and bone the deer out. takes maybe an hour...then wrap it at home.... then they shouldnt care..... Or donate it. I take a gambrel from my car, hang it in a tree, then bone it out, after I tag and call the DNR... learn to do this, and you'll walk out of the woods with a 30-50 lbs of meat, and no deer carcass(you're now the processor).... depending on where you live you may have to keep evidence of sex while transporting deer...yotes get their share, mother nature happy, me: happy happy happy..... Advice: Ask for help, seasoned guys can help with little tips, soak up everything you can, there is always something to be learned!