Propane Heaters for the blind

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BJE80, Aug 14, 2013.

1. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What heaters are you using to heat up your blinds that are quiet enough for deer hunting? I will be using this for during gun hunting or when I take my son in the blind with me to keep him warm. Maybe even if I sit in the blind during the rut.

I am looking at the Mr. Heater products. I also would prefer to connect it to a 20lbs bulk propane tank to help with not having swap out and carry cylinders all the time.

I am looking a the following heaters:

#1. Is expensive at $89 but has low oxygen shut off. Puts out 4,000-9000 btus. Not going to be able to warm up my soup or anything in the blind. I have one like this I use for general purpose stuff and it is a really nice unit.

[​IMG]

#2 Only $39. Is able to tip up and cook food in which is nice during gun season or during the rut to heat up your soup and get something nice and hot into you stomach. Puts out 8,000-15000 btus which is a lot. Seems to me that on days that are not so cold 8,000 btus is a lot and you might be sweating. Does not have low oxygen sensor.

[​IMG]

#3 $54. Can't connect this one to a bulk tank so I would have to use 1lb tanks. Puts out 3,800 btus which is much less. But I like that it sits higher and points the heat at a 45 deg angle to you. Has low oxygen sensor. Might be able to warm up soup if the head tips up straight.

[​IMG]

Or, what heater should I be looking at? Thoughts comments suggestions?

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You should be looking at a catalytic heater for any kind of enclosed or semi-enclosed environment (like a blind). I would not trust any kind of low oxygen sensor.

Just because there are a few small openings in the blind doesn't mean you'll get the necessary air circulation to prevent carbon monoxide build up. I guess if you had one whole side of the blind open to the air that would be ok but in my opinion, i'd go with a catalytic model.

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well those two units with the low oxygen are pretty good units that are approved for indoor use. I use the one for $89 in my cabin to help get it warmed up with the wood stove. I also use them in tents which they are desinged for. So I don’t subscribe to the need to go to a catalytic. I actually have two catalytic heaters already and while they are nice, I don’t think they put out the heat I am looking and they won't be able to connect to a bulk tank. Unless I am missing some better models than I have. That one I show above at 3,800 btu is about the minimum I would want.

4. Lefty

Lefty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have used a coleman sportcat in the past. Not super warm but enough to take the chill off on a cold Michigan morning. They have various other models as well.

5. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. I suppose the technology has changed in the last 10 years or so? I just remember there only being two choices for heaters, catalytic or a standard heater, with the standard heater specifically saying don't use indoors or in a tent or semi-closed area.

I think you can get a hose adapter in certain lengths that will allow you to connect a small-tank appliance to a bulk tank (like this) but, then you'd have to figure out how to hang the small heater so the hose can run from underneath to your larger tank.

6. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have #2. I cannot recomend it. Very loud and will puts off too much CO2

7. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

You are correct. Years ago that was the case. Those new Mr. Heaters ones are really nice in that regard. They are actually very safe. If you even bump the darn a little bit it shuts off automatically.

Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters

In terms of the hose. Yes, you just get a hose like that and connect it. But the heaters that use the 1lbs tank as the base would be a challenge to get set up correctly.

This cabelas one shows some promise as well but it doesn't look like it is adjustable and that would suck on mild days.

Cabela's Quiet Blind Heater/Cooker by Mr. Heater : Cabela's

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Thanks BHH. The work "loud" tells me this one is out of the ballgame!!!

9. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heaters are for cheaters...It's not hunting if your snot isn't froze..lol..j/k

10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I actually have the heater body suit so I'm not worried about myself. It is the wife and 6 year old I am worried about. If I don't keep the little guy warm I might as well forget about my hunting buddy till he gets older.

11. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot, I read propane heaters for the blind and thought maybe the rest of us visually challenged people could get one too! :nana:

12. Lefty

Lefty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have only used my Coleman sportcat on a few occasions but my Grandpa loves his Mr. Heater like your #1.

13. Hoyt_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Went thru the same thing last year with my now 12 yr old. Thermacell heated foot pads work great. Keeping their feet warm is half the battle.I have the Mr. heater and it will sweat you out of the blind it gets so warm. Mine hooks to a 20lb tank. Quiet too except for when it first lights up it whistles a bit for about 20 seconds.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  14. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I thought.

15. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  16. Hoyt_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a pic of the 1 i have cost around 50.00 15,000 btu i believe.you can also adjust the heat setting low,med,high. AAA1111 mr heater.jpg

17. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is that one quiet? Bone Head Hunter was saying before that type of design is loud?

18. Hoyt_Archer

Dislikes Received:
    Like i said it whistles or hums for about 20 seconds when you first light it. After that it runs pretty darn quiet.I had an exhaust vent on the top of the blind and a shooting window opened.

19. 1st Time Hunter

1st Time Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Mr. Heater Big Buddy when I take my daughter out in the blind and it gets super warm. We end up having to take jackets off. I have also tried what you have in option #2 and they do make some noise, but I also get a headache pretty fast, even with the window open. So, my vote would be #1!

20. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are a good gal Melissa. Thanks.