Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Live: SE Wisconsin Hunt: North Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,076
    Post Thanks / Like

    Propane Heaters for the blind

    What heaters are you using to heat up your blinds that are quiet enough for deer hunting? I will be using this for during gun hunting or when I take my son in the blind with me to keep him warm. Maybe even if I sit in the blind during the rut.


    I am looking at the Mr. Heater products. I also would prefer to connect it to a 20lbs bulk propane tank to help with not having swap out and carry cylinders all the time.


    I am looking a the following heaters:

    #1. Is expensive at $89 but has low oxygen shut off. Puts out 4,000-9000 btus. Not going to be able to warm up my soup or anything in the blind. I have one like this I use for general purpose stuff and it is a really nice unit.







    #2 Only $39. Is able to tip up and cook food in which is nice during gun season or during the rut to heat up your soup and get something nice and hot into you stomach. Puts out 8,000-15000 btus which is a lot. Seems to me that on days that are not so cold 8,000 btus is a lot and you might be sweating. Does not have low oxygen sensor.












    #3 $54. Can't connect this one to a bulk tank so I would have to use 1lb tanks. Puts out 3,800 btus which is much less. But I like that it sits higher and points the heat at a 45 deg angle to you. Has low oxygen sensor. Might be able to warm up soup if the head tips up straight.










    Or, what heater should I be looking at? Thoughts comments suggestions?


    There is no off-season to bowhunting.

    Beer is proof god loves us.

    Brad

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Posts
    1,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    You should be looking at a catalytic heater for any kind of enclosed or semi-enclosed environment (like a blind). I would not trust any kind of low oxygen sensor.

    Just because there are a few small openings in the blind doesn't mean you'll get the necessary air circulation to prevent carbon monoxide build up. I guess if you had one whole side of the blind open to the air that would be ok but in my opinion, i'd go with a catalytic model.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Live: SE Wisconsin Hunt: North Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
    You should be looking at a catalytic heater for any kind of enclosed or semi-enclosed environment (like a blind). I would not trust any kind of low oxygen sensor.

    Just because there are a few small openings in the blind doesn't mean you'll get the necessary air circulation to prevent carbon monoxide build up. I guess if you had one whole side of the blind open to the air that would be ok but in my opinion, i'd go with a catalytic model.
    Well those two units with the low oxygen are pretty good units that are approved for indoor use. I use the one for $89 in my cabin to help get it warmed up with the wood stove. I also use them in tents which they are desinged for. So I don’t subscribe to the need to go to a catalytic. I actually have two catalytic heaters already and while they are nice, I don’t think they put out the heat I am looking and they won't be able to connect to a bulk tank. Unless I am missing some better models than I have. That one I show above at 3,800 btu is about the minimum I would want.


    There is no off-season to bowhunting.

    Beer is proof god loves us.

    Brad

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a coleman sportcat in the past. Not super warm but enough to take the chill off on a cold Michigan morning. They have various other models as well.
    2008 Bear- Done deal 28" draw 64#
    Carbon Express Maxima Arrows
    QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD Drop away rest
    Trophy Ridge 3 pin Sight
    Tru Fire release
    Magnus Stinger 2 blade fixed Broadheads


    "Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central Maryland
    Posts
    1,027
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BJE80 View Post
    Well those two units with the low oxygen are pretty good units that are approved for indoor use. I use the one for $89 in my cabin to help get it warmed up with the wood stove. I also use them in tents which they are desinged for. So I don’t subscribe to the need to go to a catalytic. I actually have two catalytic heaters already and while they are nice, I don’t think they put out the heat I am looking and they won't be able to connect to a bulk tank. Unless I am missing some better models than I have. That one I show above at 3,800 btu is about the minimum I would want.
    Interesting. I suppose the technology has changed in the last 10 years or so? I just remember there only being two choices for heaters, catalytic or a standard heater, with the standard heater specifically saying don't use indoors or in a tent or semi-closed area.

    I think you can get a hose adapter in certain lengths that will allow you to connect a small-tank appliance to a bulk tank (like this) but, then you'd have to figure out how to hang the small heater so the hose can run from underneath to your larger tank.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    1,224
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have #2. I cannot recomend it. Very loud and will puts off too much CO2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Live: SE Wisconsin Hunt: North Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slider46 View Post
    Interesting. I suppose the technology has changed in the last 10 years or so? I just remember there only being two choices for heaters, catalytic or a standard heater, with the standard heater specifically saying don't use indoors or in a tent or semi-closed area.

    I think you can get a hose adapter in certain lengths that will allow you to connect a small-tank appliance to a bulk tank (like this) but, then you'd have to figure out how to hang the small heater so the hose can run from underneath to your larger tank.


    You are correct. Years ago that was the case. Those new Mr. Heaters ones are really nice in that regard. They are actually very safe. If you even bump the darn a little bit it shuts off automatically.


    Mr. Heater - America's Most Popular Portable Heaters



    In terms of the hose. Yes, you just get a hose like that and connect it. But the heaters that use the 1lbs tank as the base would be a challenge to get set up correctly.





    This cabelas one shows some promise as well but it doesn't look like it is adjustable and that would suck on mild days.

    Cabela's Quiet Blind Heater/Cooker by Mr. Heater : Cabela's


    There is no off-season to bowhunting.

    Beer is proof god loves us.

    Brad

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Live: SE Wisconsin Hunt: North Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bone Head Hunter View Post
    I have #2. I cannot recomend it. Very loud and will puts off too much CO2

    Thanks BHH. The work "loud" tells me this one is out of the ballgame!!!


    There is no off-season to bowhunting.

    Beer is proof god loves us.

    Brad

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heaters are for cheaters...It's not hunting if your snot isn't froze..lol..j/k

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Live: SE Wisconsin Hunt: North Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt_Archer View Post
    Heaters are for cheaters...It's not hunting if your snot isn't froze..lol..j/k

    I actually have the heater body suit so I'm not worried about myself. It is the wife and 6 year old I am worried about. If I don't keep the little guy warm I might as well forget about my hunting buddy till he gets older.


    There is no off-season to bowhunting.

    Beer is proof god loves us.

    Brad

  11. #11
    Iowa Veteran is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot, I read propane heaters for the blind and thought maybe the rest of us visually challenged people could get one too!
    The shallow people on BHC who can't stick with us big boys should stick to the shallow end of the pool so they don't drown.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    40
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have only used my Coleman sportcat on a few occasions but my Grandpa loves his Mr. Heater like your #1.
    2008 Bear- Done deal 28" draw 64#
    Carbon Express Maxima Arrows
    QAD Ultra Rest Pro HD Drop away rest
    Trophy Ridge 3 pin Sight
    Tru Fire release
    Magnus Stinger 2 blade fixed Broadheads


    "Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Went thru the same thing last year with my now 12 yr old. Thermacell heated foot pads work great. Keeping their feet warm is half the battle.I have the Mr. heater and it will sweat you out of the blind it gets so warm. Mine hooks to a 20lb tank. Quiet too except for when it first lights up it whistles a bit for about 20 seconds.
    Last edited by Hoyt_Archer; 08-14-2013 at 01:56 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    West TN
    Posts
    1,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Veteran View Post
    Shoot, I read propane heaters for the blind and thought maybe the rest of us visually challenged people could get one too!
    This is what I thought.
    Mission Eliminator 70/27
    Custom dipped and crested piledriver ptx 350s
    Spot hogg hogg father 1 pin
    QAD ultra rest hunter
    Alpine bearclaw quiver.

  15. #15
    Iowa Veteran is offline Senior Member Grizzled Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    4,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Academy - Timber Creek Propane Heater This is similar to one I used to have made by Coleman that is no longer available. Depending on the size of your blind, it might be good.
    The shallow people on BHC who can't stick with us big boys should stick to the shallow end of the pool so they don't drown.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •