What is the coolest thing you have seen from the stand???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WiscoBowHunter, Jun 28, 2013.

1. WiscoBowHunter

WiscoBowHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just wondering what other people have seen. I was hunting on AM Nov. 23 2012 near ashippun Wi it was really foggy had about 70 turkeys around me still on the rust gobbling clucking every nose you can think of.

2. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last fall I was sitting in a ground blind overlooking a corn field. There were about 10-15 deer feeding feeding since the corn was recently harvested. A couple raccoons joined the party and on probably three different times a decent sized doe chased them around and them one of the raccoons would chase her. Woulda been a good time for a camera.

3. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Watched a fisher go down a hole in the ground and all I heard was a bunch of squealing after that. I think it was a bunny hole.

4. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Had an owl take my hat off in the tree before dawn. Watched an eagle roll a fawn.

5. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I once had a little chickadee bird land on my arrow as it was sitting in my lap. Pretty cool but it came out of no where and scared the crap outta me.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well this wasn’t on stand but I hope it counts. I was in a boat pre-fishing a bass tournament on Lake Pomme de Terre. It was the Friday before firearms season opened in Missouri. My buddy and I were working our way down this long straight bank (where we stuck a few keeper fish) near the back of a cove when all heck broke loose. Two massive bucks start going at it up on the bank. It was an awesome battle. They went at it forever; well it seemed like forever. Up and down the hill and up and down the bank. I thought they’d gotten themselves locked up two or three times but they always got loose. Eventually one of the big boys wins and the other trots up the hill into the woods. Let me make this clear, both of these bucks were awesome, it was incredible to witness. The next morning, our tournament Saturday, also the opening day of firearms season; we’re working our way down the same bank (‘cause we caught some keepers there the day of the fight) BANG!!! Rifle shot; I look at my buddy and say, “Sometimes the winner… is the looser.” Now I’m not sure the hunter shot that “winner” buck, but if he did it was a fine trophy. We still talk about that weekend every time we see a deer from the boat.

-D

7. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Too many to choose from!
    -chickadee landing on my shoulder
    -young bull moose grunting away @ 5 yards
    -wolves moving through
    -saw-whet owl hovering 2' in front of my face
    -kestrel flying at my head
    -pine marten climbing my tree to the base of my stand

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Grey fox 10' away on a ground sit. Hawks picking squirrels off nearby tree trunks. Turkeys roosting above me. Raccoons/squirrels almost on top of me. And birds flying inches past my face.

-Bill

9. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On an afternoon hunt in MI, minutes after getting in the stand, a spike walked directly below my stand. He slowly but surely walked off across this field into the woods about a hundred yards away. Maybe 30 minutes go by and I see him "backing out of the woods"??? Sure enough, a six-point come out right behind him. I got to see the 'little guy' spar with this six-point. The little one would drop his head and the six-point would lower his, and they would rush at each other. Exciting night to say the least.

10. SWitchBacKXT

SWitchBacKXT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I Had a coyote run right under my tree last fall had two squirrels in its mouth. That was pretty cool to see!

11. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was in a tree and watched a young deer "play" with some turkeys out in the grass near me. the deer kept running around and head butting the turkeys in the chest. For whatever reason, the turkeys didnt seem to care, and just kept pecking away at the bugs. Never saw two species play together that were not tame animals.

12. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    thats really weird!

13. Hoyt_Archer

Hoyt_Archer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Couple years ago I had an owl sitting in a willow tree 10 yards from me. At the base was a fox den. It sat there 2 hours while I hunted as soon as a fox came out and was in the clear it swooped down grabbed it by the back lifted it to about 40 feet in the air and dropped it. The fox was dazed and the owl came back down picked it up again and dropped it once more. That was the last I saw of either of them as my view was blocked after that. I sat that there in total amazement and cursed myself for not having the camera with me.

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^Reminds me of another time that I saw a fawn with some does playing with a plastic grocery bag. It stepped on it and it spooked the deer. It came back and sniffed and pawed the bag... Some how getting if briefly sick on its head. This went on for about 10 minutes..

-Bill

15. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    while sitting in natural ground blind my first year hunting, I had a family of chipmunks who would run around squeaking constantly...I was 15 at the time and thought it was neat, so I would drop food crumbs on the ground, and on my leg and the chipmunks would crawl right up my pant leg for the food! I told my dad about it....he made me go to a different stand the rest of the season!! he said, we are here to hunt not to play....LOL!!!

16. LongIslandBowHunting

LongIslandBowHunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i watched a grey fox attempt to attack some ducks in a sump next to my stand, pretty cool watching the fox crawl under the fence and then scare all the ducks away!

17. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saw a couple coyote chasing a rabbit early morning on opening day. it was a pretty awesome sight.

18. WKPTodd

WKPTodd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A buck named Barry Sanders heading my way....

19. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Albino doe at 50 yards once was really cool.

Also once a huge hawk landed in the branch next to my stand and gave me the hard look over trying to figure out what I was. That was scary but awesome at the same time haha.

20. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was sitting on the edge of a field under a cedar tree one evening and a bobcat came trotting along the edge right towards me. About 10 yards away it suddenly locked up and stared at me for about 15 seconds before it took off.

Then another time I was hunting I actually saw a deer.