Looking for reading material about summer behaviors

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by d12jdm, Jun 20, 2013.

1. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all! I was wondering if any of you could direct me to articles or reading material on the subject of doe/buck/fawn behavior during spring and summer. Obviously bucks break off into bachelor groups and stay pretty tight to bedding, food, and water, while does go on their own and tend to fawns.

I am looking to understand more about this, especially why does/fawns appear to avoid bachelor groups during this time. I watch a live webcam of a deer feeder frequently and have seen long periods (weeks) where there are lots of bucks and sometimes does, but no fawns…the bucks stop showing up regularly and the does bring their fawns in. Is there some issue with safety around bucks?

Another thing I am interested in learning about is what the average time is between fawn birth and seeing one on a trail camera. I know they can walk soon after birth but it seems does keep them bedded down all the time in the very beginning. This would be helpful for counting backward to determine the date the doe was bred for planning my hunts this upcoming season.

Any information would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. PSEREVENGEMAN

PSEREVENGEMAN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No idea where You are at but the upper midwest breeding is 11/1-10 for phase 1, Texas? 12/20-31. No fawn threat posed from bucks. Fawns stay put for a week or become a coyote/wolf/bear hot lunch. Gestation is 7 months give or take depending on stress. In Wisconsin either side of 6/1 is fawn time=11/5 breeding. Phase 2 is 28 days later= 11/28-12/10 ish.
    Finding anything beyond a biologist study on spring/summer will be hard. Not a very exciting time from a hunter standpoint. Deer eat, swat skeeters and bucks grow bone.