Need Some Filming Advice

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by HunterC., Jun 18, 2013.

1. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I have absolutely no Videography or Photography experience but I want more then anything to be able to film and edit my own hunts. My goal is to be able to make good short films not to become a legendary Videographer. My only problem is I have no idea how to begin... I'm not sure what equipment I need or what kind of equipment to get. I don't have thousands of dollars to spend but I know to get started It wont be cheap. I have looked on Campbell Cameras and they have Whitetail packages for as little as about $500. What do you guys recommend for a beginner? I do know I want to get quality footage even if I have to pay a little more for it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If it will help I want to make short films like "Track You Down' by Reatherford Films, It is extremely well put together and is exactly what I would like to create. Thanks

2. Prestonwk

Prestonwk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to do Photography and film i would recommend a DSLR...You can film in super high quality and you can also take amazing pictures. So you get best of both worlds.

3. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You are on the right track with a small hanycam model. Any that record in HD and have an audio input will work just fine. Campbells packages are nice but if you shop around you can get some great deals on the same products. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 2

4. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few tips and opinions:

• Try to find a decent HD video cam that has a good manual focus ring. Some have a small dial. (do not film in autofocus)

• Try to get a camera that films to an SD card and not tape. Capturing tape to your computer is a pain.

• Look at some online camera reviews then look around on eBay. I wouldn’t buy new until you know what you like.

• Look for a low LUX. The lower the number the better the camera is in low light.

• Get a camera arm. Muddy sells the best entry level arm called the “Outfitter” (remember you will still need a fluid head)

• Learn all you can about photography. F-stops, shutter speed, exposure, depth of field…..a good photographer = a good videographer

• DSLRs are great for everything but getting the shot. I recommend getting one in the future. They are great for B-roll and cutaways.

• As far as editing I would get adobe elements 11. Runs about $70 I think. It’s a good stepping stone to Adobe Premiere Pro (in my opinion is the best)

• Last but not least: Find a buddy who you can film with. Not only does that help with buying equipment it’s nice have someone help keep you motivated.

Good luck!

5. HunterC.

HunterC. Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies! Any recommendations or cameras to use? I plan to have my girlfriend to film me during early season since she wants to hunt with me but until she is confident in herself to hunt with a bow I thought if she was just there with me to get experience in the woods this would be a great idea. On Christmas break me and my good friend plan to do some filming when he comes back home from college. Also what kind of fluid head would you recommend with the muddy camera arm? Thanks again!!!

6. reatherfordproductions

reatherfordproductions Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey HunterC, if you want any tips on filming, editing, or need any gear you can shoot me a private message. I would love to help! And thanks for the compliment about my film!

7. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I want to start filming too.