blackflash cams

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by massmam, Jun 16, 2013.

1. massmam

massmam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK guys whats the big deal with blackflash cams? I have the 2012 bushnell trophy cam blackflash and it takes nice day pics, but night pics are a little too dark. I dont believe that the red glow from a low glo cam spooks deer. The flash from a incandescent trail cam is a different story, But Ive never seen anything to make me think deer are spooked by the red glo. They see it but are not spooked. As far as theives go, You just have to be too close to a red glo cam before a theif would notice the glow. Its not a violent bright flash like a incandescent that they can see 200yds away and then zero in on your cam. I think im just gonna stick with the low glow cams, Thats why I ordered the moultrie m880 insted of the m990. I think that the better night pics on the low glow cams far outweighs the stealth of the blackflash. What do you guys think?? :tu:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  2. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have not had deer scared off by red flash, but I know some have. I put my cams high and they seem to notice it less.

3. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's all marketing. You see these homebrew guys, they use white flashes and the deer might be a little nervous but it isn't the light that bothers them it's the sound...i would rather have a dead silent camera than anything else

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the species & individual animal. Some it has no effect on, others it does. I know many of my nighttime IR pics have the animal looking at the camera in follow up shots. The only pic that's happened on with my black flash was with a fox and I had the camera out on the lake on a tripod, so I'm sure he was leery of it as he approached. It becomes more evident if you use the video mode.

My goal as a hunter is to reduce my presence and impact on these animals. Things like scent elimination & black flash are not the be all to end all, but it's one more thing to help reduce agitating game, especially mature bucks.

Here's an example of the videos I was getting that sold me on trying out a black flash cam.

[video=youtube_share;ZSscYBRt6zA]http://youtu.be/ZSscYBRt6zA[/video]

5. JSinnott

JSinnott Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He did not like that camera watching him eat.

6. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As has been stated, it depends on the species and the individual animal. I'm a homebrew guy and use many white-flash cams and I don't think I've ever seen an animal spook. The only thing I've ever seen spook game on a consistent basis is running the camera in the video mode. In that mode the flash is on for an extended period of time, giving the animal a much better chance of noticing it.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

7. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Run a red flash am in video mode and watch em run. I have lot of videos of this kind of action. I have gone all black flash cams and my bucks stay in the area and I am getting them put on the ground. Mature bucks don't stick around to red ir flash in there face. Also buy a true black flash cam like a covert black 60 or the mp6 black the deer just can't pick it off.

8. jake_

jake_ Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good replies.

My two cents is my Moultries (i40/d55ir/i35/m80) scared the crap out of some deer. Run it on 2-3 picture mode and you can make deer change their pattern.

If they deer are looking at the camera, they notice it.

I also run a white flash Stealth cam and that spooks deer way less then my IR cams.

I like blackflash as I have not had one deer notice it. Also my Covert Red40 doesnt seem to get the negative reaction (6/10 deer looking at it) like my Moultries.

Mounting it up high? I tried 15 feet up and after 3 pictures a doe spotted it.

9. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This 100%...............

10. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll never again own a non black flash camera. Haven't owned one since 2009. Like Ultra said I too have saw many bucks (doe's too) take off running when its in video mode. Them bright red lights to me spook them the same as a white flash does (maybe even worse).