Wi-Fi SD cards

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by d12jdm, Jun 14, 2013.

1. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all. I have heard about the issue of using wifi/eyefi SD cards in trail cams; namely that the slot is not powered up continually, so there is not enough time to power up the network and send the pictures over it. However I have seen some people getting success setting their camera to 5 shot bursts, they get the first 2-3 pics, and possibly shooting 1min videos; it saves, and when the next video is recording, the card connects to the network for the last video.

My question is have any of you actually tried this? We have wifi through our entire property, pretty much every tree stand, so I think this would be a cheap way to get pics without having to go to the camera directly. Thoughts?

2. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do you have wifi through out the property? Wifi cards have very limited range and I am unsure if they could connect quick enough to send anything.

3. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Commercial wifi unit. All 700 acres has Internet wifi.

4. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have the trees networked? LOL!

I'd probably miss deer while surfing the web.

5. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No doubt I have! I'm sure I have...plus the glowing screen can't be good; I wonder how they perceive that.

It's a lifesaver during gun season since i'm in finals at that time. I can bring my laptop up to my deer stand and work on my outlines. But the rest of the time it's a bit of a distraction. Now I'm trying to make it bring me pictures!

I ordered one off amazon, and 2 Covert cams on wing supply. I'll play around with the card and see if I can get it to do what I want it to. It bugs me that no one makes a camera that connects to a wifi network and uploads photos. I feel like a lot of people would get that! esp suburban nature lovers who have cams, people who get them for security photos, or ppl whose hunting land is where their home is; they could daisy chain wifi routers around their property and have a whole wireless network without the cellular fees. I want to build one myself but don't know where to start

6. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wildgame Innovations makes a Wifi camera.

7. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not really. Their camera will upload pictures over wifi, but you have to get close to the unit and tell it to upload with a remote control. I want automatic, darn it!