What's so great about Covert? No offense!

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by d12jdm, Jun 13, 2013.

1. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely no offense intended; I know most of you guys use them, and honestly the pictures are pretty darn good.

Why are they so good though? $122 OTD is the best price I've seen. I get Wildgame N6E's open box for about $50 though, and the pictures are pretty sound. They're not SLR quality, but I can see the racks, see the fawns, etc. just the same.

One thing I imagine is an advantage to a nicer camera is doing time lapse over a big area to find out where deer are coming and going over a 40 acre field, for instance. Then I would want the best quality photos, so I could spot deer waaaayy off in the distance.

But for more than half the price I get pretty good pics, same stamp info, no-complaints battery (running since feb and have not had to replace), and so on, but this is my first year running cams. I have primos, wildgame, wild view, and moultrie cams and wild game has been the best. I want to order a covert to see what all the fuss is about but I have to ask, what makes covert better?

2. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will cover that spread with battery cost pretty quickly.

3. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    that would have to be 17 battery changes that i would not have to make with a covert to cover the difference in price. Even if Covert gets 4x better battery life, and for the sake of argument i have to change batteries on the wild game every 2 months, that means changing covert batteries once per year (which I doubt, but correct me if I'm wrong).

At that rate, it would take 5.75 years to make up the difference in price assuming $1.10 per C-cell battery available on Amazon. I can't fathom the math for rechargeable batteries, but you can buy solar panels for the wildgame for $25 giving you basically unlimited battery life and bringing the wildgame to $75.

I just can't buy the battery life argument. (final note all of the above assumes 8 months of camera usage)

4. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Battery life well exceeds 6 months. With 12mp in the red 40 it beats out most of the comp with picture quality. At $135 bucks for that cam you can't go wrong. Yes there are cheaper cams out there but if you want a compact, battery sippen, picture taking machine you can check out the coverts.

5. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It should not offend anyone that you are asking about the good/bad points of a product. Here is the good. It has a 1244sq. ft. detection zone which puts it near the top of ALL camera makers. Why is this important? Well when you contrast this detection area with the Cuddeback, which is only 86sq. ft. you are assured that the animal doesn't have to be directly in front of the cam to get a pic. And that you will see any animal that is on the "fringe." The trigger speed is in the one second range, which when coupled with it's wide detection zone assures you are not going to miss many shots. The battery life is very good and I would suspect that you get one year out of a set of lithiums. As mentioned, the camera takes some of the best pics I have seen from a commercial unit, and this coming from a dedicated homebrew user. I personally have not had to use their customer service but from what I have read from others who have, there doesn't seem to be any problems. I also personally like the design of the case which allows for a python cable to be used without the need to purchase a security box, thereby saving the cost of that. The only negative I have to say is that the detection zone of the sensor is wider than the field of view of the camera. This will sometimes cause the the unit to trigger when the subject is just outside of the field of view of the camera. But I would rather have this problem than constantly getting butt views of deer.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. SugarCreek

SugarCreek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In case you have not heard about the ‘Best Camera“, check here:

http://www.camera1shop.com/

There is only one brand that covers the full range of game cameras, provides C-F cup size detections,
    have night color video cameras, provide best wireless transmissions.

If money is of a concern, then you can buy a Wildgame at $10 or a stealthcam at $30-40 in some stores or Ebay now. But you know what you will get. Chances are that you keep wasting gasoline, battery, and time on something you don't want to take a second look.

Life is a process of pursuing quality. Buying quality products give you the big motivation of making more money.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait till the first issue you have with one of those cams.... then call the company and explain the problem. Guess what you get........ most often nothing but lip service. If I had the money back from ALL the cheap cams I have bought and trashed within one year I could buy enough Coverts to cover my needs and then some. A problem with a Covert cam is a problem solved

8. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and you already know about the awesome pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The quality of the photos is better, i can't deny that. I knew about the detection area, that's a major bonus too. I think it's probably worth it to buy a few. I have 1k acres to cover I have 6 cams out now...if you were me would you rather have quantity (think scouting...) or quality?

Edit: given a limited budget

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  10. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Two words. Reliability and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm new to the whole camera thing so take this for what it's worth. I now have 9 cameras, 2 moultries, 3 coverts, 2 wildgame and 2 primos I've done side by side comparisons and the biggest difference I've seen with all of them is what they capture and don't capture and the wildgame cams picked up less than every other camera. I would have 200 pics on the covert and about thirty on the wildgame. I liked the wildgame cams because of the price but after seeing what other cams can do I think they really don't stand up to the other cams as well in every catagory. I didn't keep all the pics but I'm thinking ill put some cams out and do some more comparisons and keep track of what I find and post it here. To be fair I have had a couple of issues with the coverts I just sent one back for a stuck ir filter but the customer service has been great and I'll continue to use them. I don't even really use the wildgames at all they just sit in my garage. But I'm still keeping an open mind and will probably try some other cams yet just but as of now coverts are my favorite

12. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Honest reply... get one or two and try em out. Maybe you'll always run a few other cams as well for budget reason so what. I can tell you you will enjoy pullin that card out of the Covert more than the others. Just my .02

13. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In doing so, look at the MP-E5.

14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Other than what has been stated already, the ability to set the cam up in video mode is great too. Yeah all other cameras out there take pictures. You can use rechargeable batteries too. But, if you want a camera that is dependable, with great quality, and has amazing customer service if ANYTHING ever goes wrong, then you can't go wrong with the Covert. Some people drive a Dodge, some people drive a Ford and some drive a Chevy. It all depends on what you like. You get what you pay for! Some people like really good quality pictures and some don't. Covert lovers seem to fall in the first category. :) Your cameras seem to be doing the job for you so you should be good to go.

15. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Customer service, i dont know any other company that backs their product as much as they do. I had one very minor problem an it was solved an had a new cam in about a week. Try that with wildgame innovations or primos or moultrie and i guarantee you that you wont prolly get to far.

I will Never use anythin other then a covert because to me IMHO it would be a waste of money!

16. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    alright you guys talked me into it! I'm gonna order one and put it next to a wildgame and post the results! But all in all I've been considering one for a while, this was just to confirm it was more than just covert reps pushing the cams in this forum

17. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Far from it my friend! I was skeptical at first to untill i got my mp6 an was amazed at how great of a cam it really is. It was in single digit weather with windchill in the negatives for almost a week this winter an didnt have one single hicccup. Thats what made me decided to buy more! Along with battery life (same set since January an still full battery) customer service and of course the quality pics!

18. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Love my mp6 and red 40. Had mine out a couple of months and I have gotten better pictures from these in the short time i have been using them than my other 3 cameras which I have been using for a couple of years. I no long get the butt pictures as much. Battery life is incredible. If I had the money I would buy more but I have to wait.

19. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a Covert but ummm...have you seen the quality and heard of the battery life?? I want one baaad!

20. d12jdm

d12jdm Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Incidentally if anyone is near austin and wants to trade a TX hog hunt for a WI whitetail hunt, let me know I'll match you day for day.