most fun you ever had with your bow ?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by bowhunterleroy, Jun 12, 2013.

1. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    so around this time last year i was doing some ( stupid ) long BH tuning and i was making 60 yd shots with my arrows. i was using my muzzy 4 blade 130's with the filler, making it a 2 blade

i was really proud when i was getting 2" groups at 30 yards, and i was super happy shooting 3" groups at 60 yards.

i wasnt really looking at the actual ( bulls eye ) but i was hitting about 4" low from center. i have a hollow tuna can and i slipped it right over the vanes and slid it to the target face. all 6 arrows were within the center of a tuna can!

i took a picture and removed the arrows.

went for another go, and i guess i set the target right in a patch of seed or something, cause as i got to my bow/marker, a flock of pigeons landed dead middle of my target area. i went back to 40 yards ( really comfortable there ) and i started plucking off pigeons for an hr. each one was a clean kill. 3 total.

neighbors on the nearest property said they drop seed there, and let the quail-dove-rabbits eat, the pigeons over took things.

so once a month, i get my SGH's and i call the neighbors, they drop extra seed in that spot and they take the pigeons and give them to a place who uses them for like gator food or something. its been a blast!

so whats the most fun youve had with ur bow? hunting? family target shooting ?

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Everytime I shoot :)

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeah i would have to agree with fuzz.

4. bowhunterleroy

bowhunterleroy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    now that i think about it, i agree, i cant think of a time when i didnt love shooting my bow, but the pigeons thing was the funnest hunting type thing =]

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting at a 3D target with my Dad.

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Other than every hunt, the most fun I've ever had with my bow was shooting with you jack wagons at the gtg. I don't have many people here that enjoy bow hunting/shooting, have the passion, whatever you want to call it as I do. I had an absolute blast, so yeah most fun ive ever had with my bow...GTG '13.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    amen brother

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :dan:

nahhh im just kidding it was a blast!

9. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The most fun I had with my bow was by far the hunt that I harvested my doe last season. First one with a bow.

A very close second is the time my father and I were betting each other while shooting at the block target. We each bet $10 per dot and each got to send 1 arrow at each of the dots from 40 yards(one at a time). Closest arrow from center of that dot won the $20. There are 4 dots I won $20 off of him that day, winning 3 of the 4 dots. Not to exciting but was a fun game between he and I.

10. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree with the GTG. My dad and I had a blast and learned a lot. Will definitely be back next year.

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I wish I had a hunting/shooting buddy. It hard to find that person, you want to come live up here and we can be buddies :D lol

12. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I Agree! It was blast!

13. PA-Legion

PA-Legion Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting ground hogs for sure. Also, going to shoot at indoor 3D targets!

14. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bowfishing with friends is easily the most fun.

Least fun was right at the end of the ASA tournament in Metropolis Illinois. My bum shoulder started going into muscle tremors so not only was I in pain but my already sucky 3d shooting got plain bad. I didn't miss any targets but I sure has heck had trouble finding the 10 ring. >:-( It was also 4 billion degrees with 150% humidity. I finished 78th out of 92 shooters. LOL

15. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i didnt know metropolis ever got as hot as the sun? haha its a southern illinois thing i guess. im willing to bet it freezing the next day haha

the most fun i have had with my bow was probably this years turkey hunt. really getting to talk to the birds is amazing. and i also love when my gf gets out and shoots with me.

16. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yesterday, shooting with my dad in his yard on Father’s Day was the most fun I’ve ever had with a bow when not hunting. My dad used to shoot handmade stickbows and recurves until he messed up his shoulder installing a garbage disposal 2 years ago (he’s about to turn 72). He did the crossbow thing for a while but this year for Christmas my mom gave him a $600 gift card to get a new compound bow if he could draw one (he can’t draw mine set at 62#). About 4 months ago we went shopping together and picked out his first ever compound, a Mission Riot (love the bow btw) set to 45#. He loves it and is happy to be shooting a bow again. The last time we shot together was up at his farm and after a few sight adjustments he was shooting very well. He said he went to a 3D shoot a by himself a few weeks ago and fell apart on the second half. I told him he probably just got hot and tired, “No big deal.” So yesterday we’re in his yard about 30 yards back from his 3D deer. He’s got that deer about 10 yards back in the woods and with all the leaves on the trees surrounding it lighting was tough. I shot first and set the bar kinda high with a perfect kill shot. He draws and launches one about an inch over the top of the deer. I looked at him and said, “It’s tough to see that deer back in the woods like that” with a smile on my face and some good natured ribbing. “Not that tough.” He said. I put another one right in the kill zone and he put another one right over the back again. Now the frustration started to set in, especially when we couldn’t find one of his arrows. We moved in closer to his block target and high, high, high. Now we both knew that we had that bow sighted in great when we were at the farm. The sights were not loose and had not moved, I was 99.9% sure of that. Since he’s new to shooting compound bows I concluded that he must be doing something different. “Put the bow away, come out tomorrow and see how she’s shooting.” He agreed. So about an hour and a half later we’re sitting in the living room drinking a beer, he hadn’t stopped thinking about it. “Man, I can’t stop thinking about that bow and what the heck is going wrong.” Then it hit me, “Peep sight! I’ll betcha your peep sight moved.” Sure enough, I picked up his bow and I could slide the knot above his peep with my fingers. He also had an abnormally large gap between the bottom knot and the bottom of his peep. I slid the peep down to the bottom knot and slid the top knot back down. He drilled a four shot grouping about the size of a golf ball 1 inch high at 20 yards. He was as happy as could be. Seriously imagine a 71 year old man going from doing his best not to let his bow/shooting ruin Father’s Day to bouncing around like a little kid. “Oh man, I’m so glad you got my bow figured out” must have been said 30 times throughout the rest of the day. Fun times!

17. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say going out and shooting with my daughter. Next best thing to that is shooting at the GTG with everyone and my daughter

18. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    great story. love shooting with my pops

19. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shooting at the campground the last 5 years for the GTG! Seconded by shooting at the hunt club after camping!

20. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to go to the GTG next year